3 weeks ago

New Era Newspaper Friday February 23, 2018

  • Text
  • Namibia
  • February
  • Windhoek
  • Namibian
  • African
  • Oshakati
  • Germany
  • Genocide
  • Allocation
  • Documents


6 NEWS Friday, February 23 2018| NEW ERA Judge makes short work of alleged killer, serial rapist’s application for discharge Piet Nakanene NamibRe in Collaboration with the University of Namibia bid Advocate Bience Gawanas Farewell as she departs for New York, USA to take up her position as the UN Special Advisor on Africa to the United Nations Secretary General. Roland Routh Windhoek High Court Judge Dinah Usiku yesterday made short work of dismissing an application for the discharge of some of the charges, which Walvis Bay resident Piet Kondjele Nakanene lodged after the state closed its case in his multiple rape and murder trial. After State Advocate Innocencia Nyoni closed her case on Tuesday, Nakanene’s legal aid lawyer, Mpokiseng Dube, sounded his intention to lodge an application to discharge the rape and attempted murder charges. Nyoni informed the court she would oppose the application. Yesterday Dube told the court that the evidence placed before court on the count of housebreaking with intent to rape and rape, and attempted rape, was not enough to sustain the charge. According to him the complainant in the matter conceded in court that she could not remember much of the night in question as she was drunk. Dube said the complainant touched her inappropriately although he was naked. He told the court that the only charge that is sustainable is that of breaking and entering with intent to commit assault and assault. With regard to counts two and three, Dube said that swabs taken from the complainant were negative for semen although the was running down her thighs after the alleged rape. According to him no evidence was adduced that the accused raped the complainant and her evidence “is untenable and cannot be regarded as prima facie”. Regarding the counts of attempted rape and attempted murder, Dube said the evidence that was before court was that the complainant was assaulted. According to him the complainant’s testimony was fraught with inconsistencies and contradictions. About her claim that Nakanene strangled her to the point that she lost consciousness, but she was still able to feel him undressing her, Dube said it “was an impossibility”. “How can you be unconscious and still feel someone undressing you?” Dube asked. On the charge of rape of the deceased, Dube said there was evidence before court that Nakanene and the deceased were involved in an intimate relationship, which could explain the presence of her DNA on his bedding and his DNA beneath semen found where a relationship exists or existed cannot constitute rape and he asked the court to discharge Nakanene on the count of rape. The prosecutor Nyoni on the other hand told the court that the issue of credibility plays a very limited role at the stage of an application to discharge some of the charges and testimonies. According to her, it is only in an instance where the evidence before court is of such poor quality that no reasonable person would believe it, can a court order a discharge. In this case, she said, the evidence is of such a nature that it seeks an answer from the accused. Judge Usiku gave her ruling immediately after arguments by the lawyers and said she believes prima facie evidence was placed before court to which the accused must answer. Nakanene faces two charges of housebreaking with intent to rape, three counts of rape, two counts of attempted rape, two counts of attempted murder, one count of murder and one count of defeating or obstructing the course of justice. It is alleged that he raped or attempted to rape three women who may not be named before he killed Benedine Letesia Baumgartner after he raped her in his room in Kuisebmond between March 12 and 13, 2014 He denied guilt on all charges at the start of his trial in February last year. The trial is set to continue rom April 17 to 19 this year when Nakanene is expected to testify and will call one witness. Book NOW! 2018 Easter Supplement Contact: Asnat Mbaundja – Adeyanju Sales & Marketing Executive Tel: +264 61 208 0813 Email: Guaranteeing returns, as we reach your target markets. #TalkToUs Contact us: Tel: +264 61 208 0800 | Website:

Friday, February 23 2018 | NEW ERA NEWS 7 I have no regrets, only good memories at MAWF - Mutorwa John Muyamba Rundu The newly appointed Minister of Works and Transport, John Mutorwa, says he has no regrets but good memories at the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry. Mutorwa spent 10 years at the agriculture ministry before his appointment to the works ministry. “I thank my colleagues too for what we could achieve, both individually and collectively as well as shortcomings that are there to see and evaluate. “I have no regrets, only good memories at [the ministry],” Mutorwa said. Mutorwa told this reporter that he intends to scrupulously implement the mandate and mission of the works ministry in line with the ministry’s strategic plan, the Swapo Party manifesto, and the National Development Plan as well as the Harambee Prosperity plan. impressions of the new ministry and how he plans to work with permanent secretary Willem Goeiemann, with whom he exchanged words through the newspapers not so long ago, said: “I have 27 [years of] experience - from 1990 as regional commissioner up to now. It is about the team. Every member must play his or her part,” Mutorwa said. In January, Mutorwa blamed the ‘suffering’ of the northern communal farmers on Goeiemann, saying the permanent secretary’s decision led to a delay in the commissioning of work at the abattoirs in Oshakati and Katima Mulilo. Goeiemann had recommended that contractors to do repair work at the two abattoirs be appointed after the works ministry had done its own independent technical evaluation, and not based on evaluation by engineers contracted by the agriculture ministry. Newly appointed Minister of Works and Transport, John Mutorwa Nujoma donates land to Society of Engineers Lahja Nashuuta Windhoek The Namibian Founding President Sam Nujoma has offered a portion of his farmland totalling one hectare to the Namibia Society of Engineers (NASE). The land is for the association to develop a place for Namibian engineers to put their skills and knowledge to use and practice, and research technological innovations. NASE is an association of engineering professionals, technicians, artisans and science learners, and was launched in 2016 as a platform to promote innovative self-empowerment, local engineering product development research, graduate mentorship programmes and community-centered engineering. The president of the association Charles S. Mukwaso paid a courtesy visit to Nujoma this week to brief him on NASE’s role towards achieving Vision 2030, as well as to honour him for his instrumental role in inspiring and promoting the study of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Reporting on the achievements of the organisation since its formation, Mukwaso said the organisation has worked with schools, universities and vocational training centres to promote science, technology, engineering and mathematics education and practice . “The organisation [has also been] pushing for reforms at the Engineering Council of Namibia to end the past practices carried from the apartheid regime and open a new chapter of an inclusive, progressive, innovative and visionary council that adequately complements the government and takes Namibia to a prosperous future,” he said. Mukwaso expressed gratitude for the donation by Nujoma, stating that with the piece of land, NASE will devise and implement a feasible plan that will see innovation, science, technology, engineering and mathematics education and practice, as well as product development taken to an entirely new level, especially in areas such as medical technology, mining and geological expertise, and electrical and manufacturing engineering. The association appointed Nujoma as the patron of Namibia Engineering Week to be held in August. The engineering week is scheduled to run from August 6 to 10 in Windhoek, with a fundraising gala dinner on August 11 in Ongwediva. Mukwaso said the success of the engineering week and gala dinner will help NASE implement programmes promoting innovative selfempowerment, local engineering product development research, graduate mentorship programmes and community-centered engineering, as well as support for STEM school career programmes countrywide. A UNITED NAMIBIA DESERVES 75% OFF It has become tradition to offer you, our valued client, a 75% discount every year. This time around, we would like to tie it with the renewed vote of confidence bestowed upon our president, His Excellency Dr. Hage G. Geingob on becoming the SWAPO Party President. Having one visionary President should only serve as a catalyst to further unite us all as a country under the Harambee Banner, where no one will feel left out. This offer is open to all our Resorts, and is limited to accommodation only for bookings during March 2018. Ts&Cs apply. BOOK ONLINE OR CONTACT US! ☎ +264 61 285 7200

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167