Views
3 months ago

New Era Newspaper Friday March 2, 2018

  • Text
  • Namibia
  • Namibian
  • Windhoek
  • African
  • Ministry
  • Residential
  • Communal
  • Environmental
  • February
  • Unam

New Era Newspaper Friday March 2,

Vol. 23 No. 124 Windhoek, Namibia Friday, March 2 2018 Inside today Unam admits fewer medical trainees Namibia needs N0bn for climate change Albertina Nakale Windhoek Due to the lack of accredited training facilities the University of Namibia (Unam) has this year admitted less than 50 percent of students who applied for studies in medicine and pharmacy. Page 3 Discovering the price of Namibia’s rough diamonds on the international market Due to Namibian diamonds being of the highest quality in the world, the world’s diamond manufacturers and diamantaires, therefore, have a great appetite for these locally-sourced precious stones. Page 29 Namibia will need nearly N0 billion for climate change adaptation and mitigation up to 2030, Environment and Tourism Minister Pohamba Shifeta revealed yesterday. The implementation of Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC) will cost around US billion (approximately N6 billion) up to 2030, of which 10 percent will be sourced by Namibia through domestic financial resources and the remaining 90 percent of this cost will be mobilised from multilateral and bilateral sources in line with Article 4 of the United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) particularly the principle of common but differentiated responsibility. Shifeta said, according to their estimation, The Namibian loses Supreme Court appeal Roland Routh Windhoek CLIMATE on page 2 Three judges of the Supreme Court yesterday dismissed an appeal by Laying the foundation… From left: Pohamba Shifeta the Minister of Environment and Tourism, Bernadette Jagger the deputy Minister of Environment and Tourism, Mohale Rakgate, the Group Executive - Development Bank of SA) as well as Olympus Manthata also from the bank. The Namibian newspaper against a judgement granted against it by former High Court Judge Kato van Niekerk. Judge of Appeal Sylvester Mainga, with judges of appeal Elton Hoff and acting judge of appeal Fred Chomba concurring, upheld the trial court’s award of damages in the amount of N,000 to presidential pilot Alois Nyandoro for an article that appeared in the paper in 2010 written by journalist Jana-Mari Smith. Judge Van Niekerk had ordered The Namibian, its former editor Gwen Lister and journalist Jana- Mari Smith, to pay Nyandoro N,000 jointly and severally. She said the defendants should pay interest on the sum at the rate of 20 percent per annum from date of judgement until the date of the final settlement. The judge had ordered the defendants to pay the costs of the lawsuit. The lawsuit is the result of an article Smith wrote in which she claimed Nyandoro had used his position as the head of training and standards at Air Namibia to “falsify APPEAL on page 2 Toivo Ndjebela/Maria Amakali Windhoek Prominent local lawyer Titus Mbaeva this week found himself in police custody alongside two other people following their arrest on Tuesday on charges involving the alleged fraudulent N.5 million sale of a house that did not belong to them and pocketing the proceeds. Mbaeva is accused of having conspired with well-known paralegal August Maletzky and Simon Edward Afrikaner in defrauding an elderly Angolan couple by allegedly forging power In the dock … From left: Simon Edward Afrikaner, Titus Mbaeva (centre) and August Malesky in the dock at the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court. Photo: Emmency Nuukala Lawyer Mbaeva arrested over N.5m house sale of attorney documentation. The forged documents allegedly gave them the right to dispose of the couple’s home in Windhoek West. Making their first appearance in Windhoek Magistrate’s Court on Lüderitz Street yesterday, the trio was granted bail. LAWYER on page 2 Kazenambo, Schlaga square off Kuzeeko Tjitemisa Windhoek Outspoken politician and former cabinet minister Kazenambo Kazenambo has called for the immediate removal of German Ambassador to Namibia, Christian Schlaga, saying the diplomat is on the verge of causing instability in the country. Speaking to New Era on the sidelines of the public lecture on genocide in Windhoek on Wednesday night, Kazenambo, now a fulltime businessman said if Schlaga’s attitude towards the genocide was displayed in KAZENAMBo on page 2 Kazenambo Kazenambo New Era Newspaper @NewEraNewspaper #NewEraNewspaper app.newera.com.na • classifieds.newera.com.na • newera.com.na/discover

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana