6 months ago

New Era Newspaper Friday September 29, 2017


4 NEWS Friday, September 29 2017| NEW ERA UN Park too small for copper festival Obrein Simasiku Omuthiya The UN Park is now too small to host the annual Tsumeb Copper Festival as the number of exhibitors and show-goers has grown tremendously over the years, hence the famous park can no longer accommodate rising demand. Therefore, this year, the festival will be hosted at the J.P. Ratledge Stadium. “We decided to change the venue to create more space as the park was getting overwhelmed due to a lot of people coming through the gates and the increasing interest of exhibitors. We want to provide a very conducive environment where business and interactions we have to make sure people’s cars are parked safely and protected, unlike in cases where cars get broken into,” explained the chairperson of the organizing committee Julius Gaeseb in a telephonic interview. Gaeseb gave the assurance that this year’s festival will be bigger and better than previous ones. “I would like to inform the public that this will be an exciting by various artists, modelling, a business conference and women’s summit, among others.” “The festival has been and remains the backbone of the town’s economic growth,” he added. The festival, organised annually by the municipality, will be held under the theme ‘Copper aspiring a better tomorrow’. It will start on October 31 and end on November 4. Mpengu senior primary receives new hostel Nambara Stefanus Nkurenkuru A senior primary school located some 70 kilometres west of Nkurenkuru in Kavango West Region on Monday received a new accommodation facility for its learners. The construction of the one-block hostel, handed to Mpengu Senior Primary School, was facilitated by Wolgang Fiedler, a German national, through the foundation Namibia-Hilfe EWF e.V. Schieder. It is said to cost more than one million Namibia dollars. Speaking through an interpreter, Fiedler said he learnt about the school’s existence from the then Kavango Region’s education director Matheus Nauyoma. Earlier this year Fiedler visited the school to acquaint himself with its challenges. Upon learning of the accommodation problem and receiving a request from the school for the construction of a new hostel, Fiedler travelled back to German where he raised funds from pledges made by thirtytwo good Samaritans. Speaking at the hand-over ceremony, the school’s principal Penehafo Haikali said the school has in the past experienced a high rate of absenteeism, as some learners could not bear the everyday reality of travelling long distances due to a lack of hostel accommodation. To address this challenge, Haikali said, the school built Magnanimous… On the left, Wolfgang Fielder handing over keys for the new hostel block to the school principal Penehafo Haikali. corrugated-iron rooms but they still could not accommodate all needy learners and were again faced with challenges such as the rooms not having beds, lacking ventilation and privacy, and insecurity. Haikali was grateful for the assistance of the sponsor, admitting it is valuable. “You are our hero and our angel sent by God. Let us hope you are still with us and you will not abandon us in times of need,” she added. The one-block hostel, which will also has two storerooms and two teachers’ accommodation blocks. The learners’ accommodation is fully furnished with beds, mattresses and storage lockers. The sponsor also dug a solar powered borehole at the school and donated school stationery, textbooks, bags of maize meal, macaroni and sugar, and cooking oil. * Nambara Stefanus is an information officer employed by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology in Kavango West. rofectus 27_06_17 Special Events Digital Marketing Merchandising Creative Solutions Scripting Branding Product Launches Activations Strategy Let us pickle your mind 061 273 336 A subsidiary of: Klaus Eisert Our star of the week is German donor Klaus Eisert who recently availed N0 000 from his own pockets to school as we receive a newly constructed toilet block for our learners from our donor, who has made all this possible,” said the school’s

Friday, September 29 2017| NEW ERA NEWS 5 Rukoro calls for restorative justice Chiefly message…Ovaherero Paramount Chief, Vekuii Rukoro, delivering his message to all the Ovaherero in for restorative justice. Kae Matundu-Tjiparuro Lephalale 3 acing death whether by Imperial Germany’s bullets and poisoned water fountains, the Ovaherero valiantly fought to survive, even the extermination order by then commander of the German military forces, says Ovaherero Chief, Vekuii Rukoro. Enduring hardships of many battles, one of them Ohamakari, and soldiering through the Kalahari Desert and swimming across many a river like Orange, Limpopo, Mokolo and Palala, surviving currents and crocodiles, they pushed on – a ravished people with bones without 110th anniversary since the arrival of the Ovaherero and Ovambanderu especially in the years 1904-1908. This was the period of intense endurance and endearment by these order against the Ovaherero on 2 October 1904 by (Lothar) von Trotha, and another on 24 April 1905 against the Nama. Rukoro led a delegation of Ovaherero and Ovambanderu traditional leaders to join their brotherhoods and sisterhoods in retracing the steps of their forebears, of 110 years earlier, after their onslaught and near annihilation. Hence, he called on his people to now take one another by the hand and justice from the successive German governments for the crime of genocide committed against their ancestors. This was his message to “all the Herero people” on the occasion, which was attended by the Ovaherero and Ovambanderu from within South Africa, and Botswana and Namibia, with more than 5 000 people gracing the occasion. On the occasion, genocide committees from within South Africa and Botswana were invited to join their fellows from Namibia in the campaign for restorative justice. The occasion was also graced by the acting Namibian High Commissioner to South Africa, Nicklaas Kandjii, who stood in for the High Commissioner, Veicoh Nghiwete, who could not attend the event as he was out of the country colonial occupation of Namibia by Imperial Germany, fertile land and livestock of the Ovaherero and Thus today when wishing to bury their loved ones next to their ancestors “we have to ask for permission, as land where they were buried is in the hands of the former coloniser’s descendants. This is the adverse impact on the descendants of the victims that we are feeling today”. Thanking the host and organiser of the commemoration, the Ovaherero Descendants Foundation in the Republic of South Africa for a memorable event, Kandjii said it must be seen as an “enabling opportunity to compare empirical and historical notes among ourselves as fellow descendants, relatives and friends from near and far”. The remembrance attracted descendants of the victims of Imperial Germany’s onslaught against Namibians from as far as the United States of America, notably Ngondi Kamatuka, President of the Association of the Ovaherero Genocide in the USA, and his wife, Loide, as well as co-founder of the association, Veraa Katuuo and his wife, Vepuisa. Katuuo is one of the complainants in the class case currently in the New York federal court filed by Rukoro claiming reparation from Germany and also demanding that they are included in the ongoing talks between the Namibian and German governments on the issue of genocide and reparations. Culturally, all the way from Namibia, the Ombimbi Investment cc, which practices traditional dances the sidelines of the main ceremony, nevertheless made its presence felt whenever any opportunity presented itself. After a long ride, on the Friday they just made a cameo appearance but took advantage of the window before the beginning of the main event on Saturday. Surely, their display was more than equal to the usually endless and meaningless speeches such occasions are fraught with. The commemoration was marked under the theme: “Ovaherero Growing and Going Strong”. Ukwangali community unhappy with new conservancy Petrus Muronga Rupara The Ukwangali Traditional Authority (UTA) said it was not properly consulted on the newly created Maurus Nekaro Conservancy in the Kavango West Region, leaving the community in the Ukwangali area with a lot of questions. Speaking on behalf of the traditional authority, as instructed by Ukwangali Chief Eugene Kudumo, the head of three settlements in Mankupi Constituency and four in Musese Constituency, Rebekka Shaningwa told Nampa on Tuesday that the traditional authority was not aware of the creation of the conservancy because no consultations were done with She said during discussions between Chief Kudumo and Chairperson of the Ukwangali Traditional Chiefs Council, Christian Shimuketa, it came to light that no proper consultations were done with the traditional authority in which the conservancy falls. “The traditional authority and the chief in particular was supposed to be consulted properly and thereafter, the chief would call a meeting with the people to explain to them everything regarding this conservancy,” said Shaningwa. The conservancy, which falls under her jurisdiction, was gazetted on 1 July 2017. Chief Kudumo, meanwhile, proper consultations were done between the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) and the affected parties. He said a meeting was held with MET officials during which the idea of the conservancy was discussed, but the ministry never came back to the traditional authority Some communities rejected the proposal of the conservancy due to reasons such as a lack of clarity on what will happen to those who have farms in the proposed area, and what type of animals those living near the conservancy are supposed to own, according to the chief. The announcement of the gazetted conservancy was made public by Musese Constituency Councillor, Sakeus Kudumo on the Namibian Broadcasting Corporation Rukavango Radio Service two weeks ago. The constituency councillor said consultations were thoroughly done with several headmen from the UTA Chief Kudumo was not present during these deliberations. MET Public Relations this agency on Tuesday that meetings were held with the Mbunza and the Ukwangali traditional authorities. He said officials from the Kavango West Regional Council were also present took place at the beginning of the year. This meeting was held to address human-wildlife Muyunda said the ministry only facilitates the registration of conservancies and it is upon the agreement of the community that a conservancy is gazetted. – Nampa Head woman of Musese and Mankupi settlements in Kavango West Region, Rebekka Shaningwa. Photo: Nampa Vacancies • Sanlam Client Service Adviser • Retention Consultant For more information, please visit: Closing Date for Applications: Thursday, 13 October 2017 Namibian Citizens Only. Sanlam is an equal opportunity employer and candidates from the designated groups are encouraged to apply. sanlam Namibia

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167