16 AFRICA Monday, February 12 2018 | NEW ERA Burundians protest over criticism by UN chief President of Burundi, Pierre Nkurunziza NAIROBI Thousands of people joined an official demonstration in Burundi on Saturday, in response to criticism by the United Nations chief about a planned revision to the country’s constitution. The protest was called by the mayor of Bujumbura, after UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres used a report to criticise proposals that could allow Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza to hold on to power for another decade or more. “We are here to denounce the report by the UN Secretary General on Burundi, in which he lied a lot about our country and I call you to boo him very loudly,” one speaker called at the rally. Guterres said opposition and civil society groups must be included in any decision to change the country’s constitution to avoid a flareup of conflict, according to a report obtained by AFP on Tuesday. The UN chief said he was “deeply concerned” that talks between the government and the opposition remain deadlocked, and said it was crucial that all sides “most especially the government” engage in a dialogue. In power since 2005, Nkurunziza ran for a third term and was reelected in 2015 despite provisions that set a limit of two five-year presidential terms. The decision to run again sparked violence in Burundi that has left hundreds dead, and sent more than 400,000 Burundians fleeing across borders, mostly to Tanzania. Nkurunziza’s supporters argued his first term was a parliamentary appointment, not an election result. The president has launched a campaign to hold a referendum on a new constitution, probably in May, that would set a limit of two seven-year presidential terms. Several opposition leaders have either boycotted the talks on the constitutional changes or raised questions about their legality. – Nampa/AFP Tanzania clamps down on cannabis NAIROBI Tanzanian authorities have stepped up an escalating war on cannabis by destroying 14 hectares (35 acres) of the crop in the northern province of Arusha in recent days. Saturday alone saw eight hectares laid waste at the Meru forest reserve following another six acres earlier in the week in operation overseen by Interior Minister Mwigulu Nchemba. Tanzania is one of the world’s largest cannabis producers. “We have decided to put a stop to the cannabis culture,” Arumeru administrative secretary Timotheo Mzava said during Saturday’s operation. “Some local officials are themselves complicit (in the trade) and we cannot accept that,” Mzava said, noting that three such officials were on the run. “The government will carry out this operation in all corners of the country. We are going to arrest all persons implicated and nationalise all vehicles found to be carrying even the smallest quantity of cannabis,” the minister vowed this week. Tanzania sits on a clutch of major east African drugs routes with Arusha a key cannabis-producing area. Much of its crop is well hidden in the country’s vast swathes of natural forest. Although the drug is illegal, a combination of corruption and limited resources mean the authorities have struggled to stamp out the trade. In contrast, neighbouring states including Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique and Uganda have seen eradication campaigns enjoy some success. In 2010, total seizures of the plant totalled 279.5 tonnes, behind only Mexico and the United States. - Nampa/AFP ANC meets today as Zuma deadlock tightens JOHANNESBURG The top decision-making body of South Africa’s ruling ANC will meet today following days of talks over President Jacob Zuma’s expected departure from office, a party spokeswoman said yesterday. “An NEC (national executive committee) meeting is scheduled for tomorrow in Pretoria,” ANC spokeswoman Khusela Diko told AFP, declining to reveal the meeting’s agenda. South Africa’s president-inwaiting Cyril Ramaphosa has said negotiations should be concluded within days. But Zuma, whose presidency has been tainted by graft scandals, has clung to power after rejecting a request by senior officials of the African National Congress to resign a week ago. The stalemate over Zuma leaving office has left South Africa in limbo, with a series of public events cancelled last week including Thursday’s State of the Nation address to parliament in Cape Town. Pressure is on… In this file photo taken on November 21, 2017 South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma arrives for a presidential gala dinner at the NASREC Expo Centre in Johannesburg on the eve of ANC’s 54th National Conference. Photo: Nampa/AFP Zuma’s hold over the ANC was shaken in December, when his chosen successor - his former wife Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma - narrowly lost out to Ramaphosa in a vote to be the new party leader. Ramaphosa was expected to address a major ANC party rally in Cape Town yesterday. The rally was part of ANC celebrations marking 100 years since Mandela’s birth, as Ramaphosa tries to revive the party’s tarnished reputation. -Nampa/AFP 3 X TEACHING VACANCY AT OSHIKUKU PRIVATE SCHOOL We are inviting three (3) suitable qualified, enthusiastic, dedicated and excellent teachers to apply for full time Upper Primary teaching posts subjects English, Mathematics and Environmental Study at Oshikuku Private School. Main Requirements: A recognized 3 – 4 years tertiary teaching qualification or equivalent with at least 7 years teaching experience at primary level. Very good passes in English, Science subjects and Mathematics are an added advantage. Remuneration scale: N$ 66 000.00 – N$ 72 000.00 per annual. Date of assumption second trimester: 21 May 2018. The following documents must accompany the application: • Application letter • Recent testimonial (s) • Copies of qualifications (certified by the police) • Curriculum vitae (CV) • Copy of identity (ID)/ passportdocument certified by the police Application should be hand delivered at the school Or be posted to Oshikuku Private School, P.O.Box 5381, Oshikuku or Email:firstname.lastname@example.org Enquiries: Ms. Aina N V Shiimi @ +264-65-254505 / +264-81-4499174 Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview. Closing date: 08 March 2018 Cameroon imposes curfew in restive anglophone regions YAOUNDÉ Cameroon imposed a week-long night curfew from Saturday in its restive English-speaking west citing fears of an “imminent” attack by separatists but longserving President Paul Biya claimed the volatile situation had “stabilised”. Dozens of people have been killed in the two Englishspeaking regions since October after a violent crackdown on protests against the mainly French-speaking government. Many English-speakers have accused the Francophone majority of discrimination and that has fuelled a separatist movement. Army spokesman Colonel Didier Badjeck said the curfew would come into force Saturday. It will last from 8:00 pm to 6:00 am and is due to concerns of an “imminent attack” in “several cities” by separatists, backed by “mercenaries” from neighbouring Nigeria, a defence ministry memo said. The curfew can be renewed, said a note from the governorate of the English-speaking northwest region, seen by AFP. Cameroon’s southwest and northwest regions are home to an English-speaking minority that accounts for about a fifth of the population. In October, separatists declared the two regions as the self-proclaimed republic of “Ambazonia”, prompting a forceful reaction by the government. Police say 22 police and soldiers have been killed in the violence but officials in the capital Yaounde have not released figures for the number of separatist or civilian losses. The spiralling violence has prompted an estimated 30,000 Cameroonians to flee to neighbouring Nigeria. Biya, 84, who has held power since 1982, on Saturday called on young Cameroonians to be “patriotic internet users” and said the situation in the anglophone areas had improved after “troubles which sometimes sparked acts of violence.” It comes after a string of grisly video clips circulated online alleging atrocities against separatists by Cameroonian soldiers. On Friday, the Cameroonian army denied its troops were responsible for the alleged gruesome killings in Englishspeaking regions in the unverified video. “These accusations of atrocities are dreamt up. We are victims of disinformation and fake news,” said army spokesman Colonel Didier Badjeck. - Nampa/AFP
Monday, February 12 2018 | NEW ERA WORLD 17 UK govt warns charities over sex misconduct as Oxfam scandal widens ONDON he British Government said Sunday it is warning all charities that receive UK aid o step up efforts to tackle sexual isconduct among staff or face aving their funding cut, amid further allout from a prostitution scandal nvolving Oxfam workers in Haiti n 2011. The International Development ecretary Penny Mordaunt revealed he was writing to the charities to nsist they spell out what steps they re taking on the issue and confirm hey have referred all concerns about pecific cases and individuals to the elevant authorities. “With regard to Oxfam and ny other organisation that has afeguarding issues, we expect hem to cooperate fully with such uthorities, and we will cease to fund ny organisation that does not,” she aid in a statement. Mordaunt added she will also emand all donors and development organisations show leadership and take action on the matter at the global End Violence Solutions Summit in Stockholm next week. “I am very clear: we will not work with any organisation that does not live up to the high standards on safeguarding and protection that we require.” The hardening stance follows reports in The Times that young sex workers were hired by Oxfam’s senior staff in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake which devastated the island and left up to 300,000 people dead, and that the UK-based charity tried to cover up the scandal at the time. In the latest revelations, the Sunday Times reports more than 120 workers for Britain’s leading charities were accused of sexual abuse in the past year, “fuelling fears paedophiles are targeting overseas aid organisations”. Oxfam -- which employs around 5,000 staff and has 23,000 more volunteers -- recorded 87 incidents last year, referring 53 to the police or authorities and dismissing 20 staff or volunteers, according to the paper. The Charity Commission, which regulates the sector and will meet this week with Mordaunt, has asked Oxfam to urgently provide fresh information on the scandal in Haiti. Meanwhile the Department for International Development (DFID) said Friday it was reviewing its relationship with the UK-based charity, to which it gave nearly £32 million (36 million euros/ million) last year. It said Oxfam’s leaders had “showed a lack of judgement” in their handling of the matter and their level of openness with the government and commission. Oxfam Chief Executive Mark Goldring said Saturday it receives less than 10 percent of its funding from DFID and hoped to continue working with the department while rebuilding trust with the public. He admitted Oxfam did not give full details of the scandal to the commission in 2011 but insisted it “did anything but cover it up”. “With hindsight, I would much prefer that we had talked about (the) sexual misconduct,” Goldring told BBC radio. “But I don’t think it was in anyone’s best interest to be describing the details of the behaviour in a way that was actually going to draw extreme attention to it.” Oxfam is also accused of failing to warn other aid agencies about the staff involved, which allowed them to get jobs among vulnerable people in other disaster areas. Roland van Hauwermeiren, 68, whom Oxfam said was forced to resign as Haiti country director in 2011 after allegedly admitting hiring prostitutes, went on to become head of mission for Action Against Hunger in Bangladesh from 2012 to 2014. The French charity told AFP it made pre-employment checks with Oxfam but that the UK-based organisation failed to pass on details of his transgressions. “Moreover we received positive references from former Oxfam staff -- in their individual capacities -- who worked with him,” including from a human resources staff member, a spokesman said. In a statement, Oxfam denied providing positive references for those implicated, and said they were likely provided on an individual capacity. It added the vast number of aid operations working around the globe meant it was “not possible... to ensure that those found guilty of sexual misconduct were not re-employed in the sector”. The charity said it launched an immediate investigation in 2011 which found a “culture of impunity” among some staff but has denied trying to cover up the scandal. During the probe, Oxfam dismissed four staff members and another three resigned, including van Hauwermeiren. The charity also said it had yet to find evidence proving allegations that underage girls were involved. – Nampa/AFP Syrian National Dialogue Congress charts future DAMASCUS Over 1,500 delegates from the Syrian National Dialogue Congress recently held in Sochi in Russia adopted a 12-point statement outlining Syrians’ view on their country’s future. The delegates from a wider political spectrum feel Syria should preserve its sovereignty and territorial integrity, and that its future be determined through elections by the people of Syria. Syrians requested the UN Secretary-General António Guterres to assist organise the work of the constitutional committee, whose mandate will be outlined as part of the Geneva reconciliation process. Congress participant, Archbishop of Homs, Hama and Environs Mor Selwanos Boutros Al-Nehmeh told TASS news agency that the final document “was agreed by all participants.” Syria’s territorial integrity The participants of the congress expressed their respect and full commitment for the “sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and unity” of Syria in the first point of the 12-point document. “In this regard no part of the national territory shall be ceded. The people of Syria remain committed to the recovery of the occupied Syrian Golan by all lawful means in accordance with the UN Charter and international law,” the document articulated. It stated, “Respect of and full commitment to Syria’s national sovereign equality and rights regarding non-intervention. Syria shall take its full role in the international community and the region, including as part of the Arab world, in conformity with the UN Charter, and its purposes and principles.” Syria’s future In line with the third provision of the final statement, only the people of Syria can decide their country’s future. “The Syrian people alone shall determine the future of their country by democratic means, through the ballot box, and shall have the exclusive right to choose their own political, economic and social system without external pressure or interference, in line with Syria’s international rights and obligations,” it said. On democracy and independence, participants believe Syria should be “a democratic and non-sectarian state based on political pluralism and equal citizenship irrespective of religion, ethnicity and gender.” It should also ensure “full respect for and protection of the rule of law, the separation of powers, judicial independence, the full equality of all citizens, the cultural diversity of the Syrian society, and public freedoms, including freedom of belief, featuring transparent, inclusive, accountable and answerable governance, including before the national law, with necessary effective measures to combat crime, corruption and mismanagement.” The fifth provision stated Syria should be “committed to national unity, social peace, and comprehensive and balanced development with fair representation in local administration”. The sixth point stated Syrian state and public institutions should be continuous and have “improved performance” with “reforms where necessary, including the protection of public infrastructure and property rights and provision of public services to all citizens without discrimination, in accordance with the highest standards of good governance and gender equality”. “Citizens shall benefit from effective mechanisms in their relations with all public authorities in such a way as to ensure full compliance with the rule of law and human rights and private and public property rights,” their all-inclusive statement further read. It was felt Syria should have a “strong, unified, meritocratic and national army that carries out its duties in accordance with the constitution and the highest standards”. “Its functions are to protect the national boundaries and the people from external threats and terrorism, with intelligence and security institutions to maintain national security subject to the rule of law, acting according to the constitution and the law and respecting human rights. The use of force shall be the exclusive prerogative of competent state institutions,” the document reads. Fight against extremism On the eighth point, the participants declared their “unqualified rejection of - and active commitment to combat - terrorism, fanaticism, extremism and sectarianism in all its forms and to tackle conditions conducive to their spread”. They called for “respect and protection of human rights and public freedoms, especially in times of crisis, including non-discrimination and equal rights and opportunities for all without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, cultural or linguistic identity, gender or any other distinction”. They also want an “effective mechanism for their protection, which give due regard to the political and equal rights and opportunities of women, including by the taking of active measures to ensure representation and participation in institutions and decision-making structures, with mechanisms aimed to achieve a level of representation of at least 30 percent for women, and the goal of parity”. The tenth point noted the “high value placed on Syria’s society and national identity, its history of diversity and the contributions and values that all religions, civilizations and traditions have brought to Syria, including the coexistence among its various components, along with the protection of the national cultural heritage of the nation and its diverse cultures”. They undertook to “combatting DRILL RIG OPERATOR – Walvis Bay Having a Drill Rig Operation background..? Does this sound like you? Then we want to hear from you! We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly skilled and qualified Drill Rig Operator. Requirements: and eliminating poverty and providing support for the elderly and other vulnerable groups, including persons with special needs, orphans and victims of war, which shall include ensuring the safety and refuge of all displaced persons and refugees, as well as protecting their right to voluntary and safe return to their homes and lands”. The final provision called for the preservation and protection of national heritage and the natural environment in line with environmental treaties and the UNESCO declaration on cultural heritage. –SANA News Agency 1. Qualified drill rig operator 2. Code EC driving license 3. Qualified to operate MMU 4. Qualified to transport dangerous goods 5. Mechanical / practical capabilities – be able to fix machines 6. Strong managerial and administrative capabilities. Manage a team and keep all reports and records up to date. Qualifications: • MACHINE AND GENERAL SAFETY ASPECTS • CORRECT START UP & TRAMMING PROCEDURES • CORRECT BOOM & FEEDER HANDLING TECHNIQUES • INSPECTION OF DRILLING AREA • CORRECT SETTUP AND DRILLING PROCEDURES • CORRECT PARKING AND SHUTDOWN PROCEDURES We need a self starter; with 6+ years experience in the field of a Drill Rig Operator. If you possess all of the above, please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com Closing Date: 16 February 2018 Only short listed candidates will be contacted!