4 NEWS Monday, July 17 2017 | NEW ERA Kuzeeko Tjitemisa Windhoek About 38,243 people have contacted malaria since January and at least 63 people have died of the disease over the same period. Updating parliamentarians on the post mortem conducted in the aftermath of the malaria outbreak in the first half of 2017, Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services Juliet Kavetuna Kavetuna said they recorded a 51 percent decline in deaths from malaria compared to same period in 2016. She said the outbreak was first detected in Kavango East and West, Zambezi, and Ohangwena regions, and in response the ministry embarked on robust campaign in the affected areas, using a strategy of mass testing and treatment, mop-ups, house spraying and social mobilisation. Kavetuna blamed the transborder importation of malaria parasites from Alvine Kapitako Windhoek Last year, Namibia was ranked the fifth highest country in the world in terms of tuberculosis (TB) incidence rate, with 9,154 cases of TB recorded. Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services Juliet Kavetuna revealed this at the launch of the nationwide Tuberculosis Disease Prevalence Survey last Thursday. “Despite this alarmingly high number of cases, the World Health Organisation estimates that about 30 percent of patients with TB in Namibia go undiagnosed, untreated or unreported,” Kavetuna said. While World Health Organisation estimates provide a useful basis for planning purposes, it is important to generate accurate data for Namibia in order to adequately inform the TB care and prevention efforts, Health Malaria has killed over 60 this year neighbouring countries, particularly Angola, as the major contributing factor to the 2017 outbreak of the epidemic. She said her ministry has begun to re-vitalise its relationship with her Angolan counterpart to tackle the issue. “I had meetings with my Angolan counterpart and jointly [commemorated] Malaria Day on both sides of the borders to raise awareness,” she told lawmakers. Kavetuna added that a draft memorandum of understanding (MoU) on crossborder collaboration is ready for submission to the Office of the Attorney General and development partners have been sensitised to the need to support Angola with an effective malaria control programme. Going forward, she said, the 2017 outbreak illustrates that vector control, particularly Indoor Residual Spaying (IRS), must be adequately funded annually to achieve high coverage in all targeted areas. “I have already indicated to cabinet that an additional N.3 million for an effective malaria response for 2017/18 will be required,” she said, adding that spray operators’ training will begin in September, with spray operations ending no later than November 30, so as to provide maximum protection during the transmission season. The deputy minister of health said logistical arrangements – including the procurement of insecticides and equipment – have been planned for and structures to implement and monitor have been established. In Namibia the malaria transmission cycle begins in December and peaks in early April, after which transmission tends to decline. Some drivers of the outbreak include vector control gaps, particularly related to the availability of financial and human resource for IRS, resulting in inadequate prioritisation of spray targets and supervision of spray terms. Deputy Health Minister Juliet Kavetuna Namibia’s TB incidence rate among highest in the world she said. She explained that the Tuberculosis Disease Prevalence Survey (DPS) is the best currently known method to accurately determine a country’s true TB disease burden. She added that the survey would aid government and its development partners to better respond to the country’s TB epidemic and prudently allocate the increasingly scarce but much-needed resources. Kavetuna further said the survey aims to enroll 34,000 people, aged 15 years and above. These people would be asked about symptoms of TB they may have experienced, as well as have their chest x-rays taken. “The success of the survey, therefore, hinges on the support of all individuals within these clusters. I urge and encourage all individuals in the selected clusters to participate in the survey,” she said. Aupindi loses Supreme Court appeal Roland Routh Windhoek An appeal by former managing director of Namibia Wildlife Resorts (NWR) Tobie Aupindi and his co-accused, Antonio di Savino, in a corruption trial involving the installation of a swimmingpool at Aupindi’s residence by LLC Pools, has failed in the Supreme Court. The appeal was to have Supreme Court order the magistrate presiding over their trial recuse herself from the matter. They lodged the appeal to review and set aside a decision by the Windhoek High Court refusing to review and set aside the decision by Magistrate Helvi Shilemba not to recuse herself from their corruption trial for perceived bias. Aupindi and Di Savino, who had dealings with the NWR while Aupindi was still in charge, are on trial for allegedly lying to Anti-Corruption Commission investigator William Lloyd in March and April of 2010, by telling him that Aupindi paid N,000 for the pool, while it was in fact Di Savino who paid for the pool. They both pleaded not guilty at the start of their trial and gave no plea explanations. At the end of the State’s case both applied for discharge in terms of Section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Act, which was refused by Shilemba. When the trial continued, the defense called a former police officer, McKay, who was hired to do certain investigations on behalf of Aupindi. He produced statements which, inter alia, indicated that Aupindi did indeed pay for the swimming pool in two instalments of N,000 and of a witness, who claimed to have overheard the magistrate and prosecutor stating they would Judgment day nears for alleged killer of Uolevi Roland Routh Windhoek Judgment in the case of a Namibian national accused of killing a Finnish citizen by shooting him nine times outside a popular Windhoek drinking spot, has been set for August 14 in the Windhoek High Court. Judge Christi Liebenberg told Danne Rodney Shaningua, 46, who was dressed in a dark suit and tie, that he will be ready with his judgment then. This followed after extensive submissions by Shaningua’s defense counsel, Slysken Makando, and Deputy Prosecutor General Karin Esterhuizen last week. Shaningua faces one count of murder and one count of defeating or attempting to defeat the course of justice, to which he pleaded not guilty claiming self defense. It is alleged Shaningua fired nine shots at Ronni Marco Kristian Uolevi, 42, at around 00h30 during August 8 to 9, 2015. Uolevi died instantly at the scene outside the bar along Bell Street in Windhoek’s southern industrial area. It is further alleged that Shaningua during August 9 to 11, 2015 hid a white VW Polo, removed the front and rear numberplates, removed the license disk, and failed to report to the lawful owner that the vehicle was damaged in an accident and failed to report the accident to the police. It is alleged that he did all this in an attempt to frustrate the investigations of the police into the accident and subsequent death of the deceased. According to the indictment, during the late night hours of Saturday August 8, 2015 ensure Aupindi was convicted and spent time in prison. However, the judge said, it turned out that McKay could give no evidence relevant to the merits of the case against the two accused. However, subsequent to McKay’s testimony the lawyers for both accused instigated recusal proceedings against Shilemba, which she dismissed. They then approached the High Court with an application to order Shilemba off the case on the basis of perceived and actual bias. The High Court refused the application and Aupindi then filed an appeal in the Supreme Court, which also refused the application. According to Acting Judge of Appeal Theo Frank, who wrote the judgement in concurrence with Appeal Justices Sylvester Mainga and Elton Hoff, the High Court was correct to find that there was nothing before court to show that any grave injustice or failure of justice’ was likely to ensue if the criminal trial proceed. According to Aupindi and Di Savino, the proceedings in the magistrate court were marred by a number of irregularities, some of which are of material importance and debase the proceedings, which gives them the right to be acquitted, or that a permanent stay of prosecution be granted, or that Shilema’s decision not to recuse herself be reviewed and set aside. According to Justice Frank, while the manner in which the magistrate handled the recusal application is not beyond criticism, he is of the view that her conduct did not create an apprehension of bias as it is clear she wanted confirmation of the allegations, as she was entitled to. He said the applicants had failed to establish the facts necessary to confirm bias or a reasonable apprehension of bias. and the early morning hours of Sunday August 9, 2015 in Bell Street, the deceased was driving a vehicle (registration number N141198W) when he bumped into the rear of a stationary vehicle (registration number N158395W), in which the accused and a witness were sitting. It is further stated that the accident caused damage to the vehicle in which the accused was sitting. The indictment states that Shaningua then got out of his vehicle and fired at least nine shots with his licensed firearm in the direction of the deceased, who was still sitting inside his vehicle. “Two shots struck the deceased and his vehicle came to a standstill a distance away from the accident scene,” the indictment reads. It further says the deceased died in his vehicle due to blood loss caused by gunshot injuries to the chest. Shaningua then, according to the indictment, fled the scene after making sure the deceased was dead and went to hide the car, as described. During his testimony in his own defense, Shaningua claimed he was “frightened and shocked when he was unexpectedly confronted by a Land Rover speeding towards him” on the night in question. According to him the Land Rover, driven by the Fin, was approaching him at speed after he had gotten out of his car, following a collision in which the Land Rover had rammed into the rear of his car. With the intention to stop the Land Rover from running him over, Shaningua said, he took out his revolver – which was holstered on his belt – cocked it and started to shoot at the wheels of the Land Rover.
Monday, July 17 2017 | NEW ERA NEWS 5 Shaningwa ‘disappointed’ in Windhoek Kuzeeko Tjitemisa Windhoek Urban and Rural Development Minister Sophia Shaningwa has voiced concern over the “slow pace” at which the City of Windhoek is availing serviced urban land. Speaking on Friday at the launch of the City’s Transformational Strategic Plan 2017-2022, Shaningwa said that last month she was requested in the National Assembly to provide statistics as to how many residential erven were serviced since 2014 in various localities, including Windhoek “The statistics for Windhoek as a capital city were very disappointing. We understand that the topography here makes it difficult to service land, but this must not be an excuse,” she said. She further said the private sector can play a meaningful role by investing in viable projects through public-private partnerships, but it seems these opportunities were given to a few developers time and again. Therefore, she said, Windhoek Municipality needed to improve its performance in the delivery of serviced land and affordable housing. “In order to address these challenges, more innovative means of execution of duties, allocation of resources and general management is required,” she said. “It should no longer be business as usual if we, as public servants, intend to make a meaningful impact on the challenges which hold many of our fellow countrymen and women in poverty,” she advised. Shaningwa expressed the hope that the City’s new Transformational Strategic Plan would meet such expectations. “It is, therefore, just a matter of speedy implementation of the projects, so that tangible results are visible and felt by the residents of Windhoek,” she said. “It is my hope and belief that your strategic plan has critically analysed the issues that painted dark spots on the institution and the undesirable aspects are addressed with dynamism, guided by the current circumstances.” Speaking at the same event, Windhoek CEO Robert Kahimise said the fiveyear strategic plan takes cognizance of the challenges faced in 2015/2016, such as pressure for land delivery and the ongoing water crisis, Windhoek CEO Robert Kahimise which contributed to bulk water supply costs, as well as resource constraints. “We have realised that we cannot continue doing what we have been doing for the past 10 years and expect changes, hence the need for a new strategic plan,” Kahimise said. The new plan is structured under two key themes: governance and financial sustainability; and social progression, economic advancement and infrastructure development. Within the first two years of the new strategic period, Kahimise said, the City would seek to address the more immediate and pressing issues of financial sustainability and governance. earful killer pleads for forgiveness from victim’s family Roland Routh Windhoek A man who set his common law wife on fire causing an unimaginably painful death a few days later last week cried before Judge Christi Liebenberg when he pleaded for forgiveness from the mother and father of his victim in the Windhoek High Court. “Grandma and Grandpa, can you forgive me for what I have done? Meisie is no longer here, I regret what I have done, please forgive me,” Plesie Gowaseb pleaded through a Khoekhoegowab interpreter before he burst into tears, causing the judge to call for a break in the court proceedings. Gowaseb pleaded guilty on a count of murder, read with the provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act, and one count of arson late last month. He admitted he intentionally set alight the mother of his three children, Petrina Goagoses, during the period October 13-14, 2012, thus causing her to die from her injuries on October 21, 2012. He also admitted to wrongfully, unlawfully and maliciously setting on fire the house the deceased lived in. During his evidence in mitigation last week he told the court that he is currently 41 years old and was 37 when he committed the offences and that he had six children, one of which is deceased. He told Judge Liebenberg that he pleaded guilty, because he was the one who set fire to the room that cost the life of the deceased. “I take full responsibility,” he said. Earlier, the mother of the deceased, Ellie Goagoses, told the court the accused and deceased had a stormy relationship, characterised Plesie Gowaseb by physical fights and that was the reason she took their children to live with her. At one stage, she said, the accused told the deceased during one of their fights that he would kill her like the dog she is. While the deceased did support her mother financially and materially to take care of the two boys, aged 16 and 13, the accused never contributed, she said. Gowaseb denied this and said he and the deceased used to pool money and send it to a smartcard account of the deceased’s sister. Ellie Goagoses told the judge that she could not decide on a punishment for the accused and that the court must “just do its work”. In his submission on the sentence Gowaseb is to receive, Milton Engelbrecht of Engelbrecht Attorneys said he would leave the sentence to be imposed in the capable hands of the court. He, however, reminded the court that Gowaseb had pleaded guilty at first opportunity, which is normally a strong indication of remorse. Engelbrecht noted that while the accused had a previous conviction for assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, he was sentenced for that offence and cannot be punished for the same crime twice. State Advocate Ethel Ndlovu was not so gracious as to leave the sentencing in the hands of the court. She told Judge Liebenberg that this was a crime of such brutality that it sent tremors through the small community of Dordabis and thus asked the court to sentence Gowaseb to at least 40 years in prison. Judge Liebenberg said he would be ready with his sentence on Wednesday morning at 09h00. Stringent visa requirements adverse to tourism Eveline de Klerk Swakopmund Visa applications and their stringent requirements for foreign tour guides who visit Namibia with large groups of tourists is becoming a challenge and may be detrimental to the tourism industry. The argument is that some of the requirements such guides have to abide by are too strict and expensive, while the process itself is too lengthy. These were some of the concerns highlighted on Monday to Minister of Environment and Tourism Pohamba Shifeta during a two-day workshop in Swakopmund on the economic contribution of tourism and funding that ended on Tuesday. The workshop was attended by national tourism boards of the Southern African Development Community (SADC), as well as representatives of the Regional Tourism Organisation of Southern African. Some operators in the tourism industry said due to stringent visa requirements and a lengthy application process for foreign tour guides Namibia was losing out on the economic benefits tthat can be derived from such large contingents of enthusiastic tourists. A tour operator from Swakopmund said that such groups normally want to explore the country for longer periods with the guidance of their own tour guide, which was understandable. “However, it takes time for such tour operators to obtain a working visa, especially in Namibia for such, which results in them visiting other countries who do not even require such guides to have a work visa. “We understand that the government wants to maintain jobs for our own people, but we must look at the broader picture and how much Namibia can benefit both economically and marketing-wise,” he said. The managing director of Namibia Wildlife Resorts, Zelna Hengari, also expressed similar sentiments, saying that overseas groups that want to visit Namibia on numerous occasions complained about visa requirements and opted to visit other countries instead. “Recently a group from Turkey that wanted to come to Namibia with their tour guide had to choose another holiday destination because of this. We really want to attract tourists from all over the world, thus we have to look into the visa issue as it is killing our market,” she said. Responding to the concerns raised, Environment and Tourism Minister Pohamba Shifeta said that they are aware of the challenges faced by the local tourism industry in terms of visa requirements for tour guides, among others. He said an inter-ministerial committee was established that consist of all relevant stakeholders, such as the Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration, to look at such challenges and propose solutions. “This committee already had its first consultative meeting and we expect to get a positive outcome to address these issues as soon as possible,” Shifeta said. Tourism in Namibia is a major industry, contributing N,2 billion to the country’s gross domestic product yearly. Annually, over one million travellers visit Namibia, with roughly one in three coming from South Africa, then Germany and finally the United Kingdom, Italy and France. Namibia is among the prime tourism destinations in Africa and is renowned for its ecotourism and extensive wildlife. In 2010, Lonely Planet named Namibia the 5th best tourism destination in the world in terms of value.