2 NEWS Monday, March 26 2018 | NEW ERA RCC From page 1 as allocation to RCC. It is not yet clear when Mutorwa would table the motion. Mutorwa is among the Cabinet ministers accompanying President Hage Geingob on a seven-day State visit to China, from March 26 to April 3. Asked what the plans are for the salaries of RCC workers after March, the spokesperson for the Public Enterprises Ministry, Jonathan Swartz, said: “Treasury will have to take this decision in line with the budgetary provisions.” However, Swartz was emphatic that there is no going back on the decision to place RCC under judicial management. “The decision to approach the High Court to place the RCC under judicial management was a Cabinet decision and can only change if the decision is rescinded by Cabinet. This has not happened, and the decision still stands,” he said. The move is expected to transform the loss-making RCC, into a new, similar but efficient entity. However, a motion must first be tabled in Parliament before the decision can take effect. After its tabling in Parliament, government would then have to approach the High Court for an application to have RCC placed under judicial management. So far it appears that the works ministry, under Mutorwa, would spearhead this process. Last year, the Minister of Public Enterprises Leon Jooste was the one leading the process, with the then minister of works Alpheus !Naruseb not being in favour of the decision to wind up RCC, prior to the Cabinet decision to place it under judicial management. !Naruseb has now been reshuffled to the Cabinet portfolio of water and forestry. Swartz said Mutorwa has to take the lead and table the Bill “since RCC currently falls under his legal authority”. In legal terms, judicial management is applied to allow a company in dire financial straits, but which is still a viable business, the opportunity for rehabilitation and restoration to profitability. The judicial manager for RCC would be empowered to make far-reaching decisions on the company’s business transactions, to include operations, human resources and financial management. Judicial is management’s main effect is to place a moratorium on debt payments. Another effect is that a manager is appointed who must oversee the business of the company. The judicial manager will proactively seek ways to restructure the debt of the company and respond to financial demands on the company. It was previously understood that the plan is to birth a new RCC that operates as a commercial entity under the Ministry of Public Enterprises, and not the Ministry of Works and Transport as is currently the case. The public enterprises ministry would approve the strategic plan, sale of properties and oversee the business direction of the new RCC. “We have some good mitigating plans,” Jooste said last year when he announced the rescue plan the ministry has for the company. It is now not clear whether the new RCC would resort under the public enterprise ministry or would continue to resort under the current ministry. RCC has been registering losses since its establishment in 2000, and has posted financial losses with the value of RCC’s liabilities exceeding the value of its assets. WOMEN From page 1 Agas stated the male friend then raped Uiras and slit her throat with a knife. Uiras is now fighting for her life in Windhoek Central hospital. A passer-by found Uiaras lying unconscious in a pool of blood last week Sunday morning. Uiras is currently unable to speak and cannot share details of the suspect. Although, her relatives and neighbours know the suspect by only seeing him around they do not know his name. Agas requested public assistance that could lead to the suspect’s arrest. Police is looking for a Windhoek man who hacked his girlfriend’s female friend and colleague with a machete on Tuesday evening in Katutura. The woman, 39, who requested anonymity, sustained a bruise on her lower back, inner thigh, got stitches on her two left finger and twisted her angle from the attack. The incident happened at 23h00 in Gemeente location when the victim dropped off her colleague and the suspect unexpectedly attacked and pursued her with a panga. The two women were socialising at the victim’s house after they knocked off early on Tuesday and the man kept texting and calling the woman to return his girlfriend home. “When I got to my colleague’s house, I got out of the car to open the door for her and he came attacking me with a panga. He didn’t greet me nor did we exchange words. I blocked the panga with my hand or else he could have cut my face. I ran to the other side of the car and got into the passenger’s seat trying to escape but he pursued me. He hit me with a panga on my lower back,” narrated the victim while showing the reporters her bloodied car. While in the house, the suspect allegedly knocked his girlfriend unconscious with the back of the machete. The girlfriend also opened a case of assault against him on Wednesday. New Era learnt that the girlfriend has several restraining orders against the abusive boyfriend. The victim is also not pleased with how the police dealt with her case, as the police refused to drive to the suspect’s house when the victim initially came to report the matter at the station. The victim stated that the police was very ‘soft and lenient’ when they called the suspect to return to his house, as there was an issue, which needed to be discussed. The man told the police that he could not come, as he was a bit busy. However, after the victim opened a case, the suspect texted her apologising and offering N,000 to withdraw the police case. Katutura police station commander, Chief Inspector Philemon Tjitekulu said they got a photo of the suspect and they are pursuing him. Tjitekulu said they are also circulating the suspect’s photo on their WhatsApp groups. LAND From page 1 you resettle them and yet still they do not have a legal right to own that piece of land on which they live,” fumed Ui/o//oo Ui/o//oo further vented his frustrations during the familiarisation visit of the Vice President, Nangolo Mbumba, to Ondera, a government farm situated in the Guinas Constituency, where San people were settled from Oshivelo in 2013, in an effort to engage them in agricultural activities. The 7,000-hectare farm was bought for N million in 2013 through government’s Our Contact details and information Product of New Era Publication Corporation (Daniel Tjongarero House) Corner of Dr W Kulz and Kerby Streets Tel: 061 - 208 0800 P/Bag 13364 Windhoek Registered as a newspaper, Certificate No. 06/08/91 EDITOR Chrispin Inambao firstname.lastname@example.org EDITORIAL email@example.com Tel: +264 61 - 208 0802 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 resettlement programme. The 130 households were then relocated but now the number of households on the farm has spiralled to over 500, with an estimated 3,000 people living on the farm. Although they have now formed a location within the farm, none of them legally owns the piece of land where they are residing, hence the deputy minister’s outburst. “I am, therefore, in support of the initiative being raised to negotiate with the Ministry of Land Reform in order for each individual having a household to be granted ownership of that piece of land,” stressed Ui/o//oo. EDITORIAL BOARD: Toivo Ndjebela, Chrispin Inambao, Desie Heita, Helvi Shaanika, Kae Matundu-Tjiparuro, Carlos Kambaekwa REGIONAL OFFICES Katima Mulilo Office: Cell: +264 81 156 4114 firstname.lastname@example.org Rundu Office: Tel: +264 66 - 256 298 Cell +264 81 217 1888 email@example.com Ongwediva Office: Tel: +264 65 - 238 990 firstname.lastname@example.org Omuthiya Office: Cell: +264 81 144 0646 email@example.com Swakopmund Office: Cell: +264 81 217 9739 Cell: +264 81 204 8078 firstname.lastname@example.org Keetmanshoop Office: Tel: +264 63 - 222 057 Cell: +264 81 312 5975 email@example.com Lack of land ownership has led many households to practice backyard farming, as the farm is mainly used for commercial purposes. Meanwhile, Mbumba said the government has to date bought 10 commercial farms with a combined size of over 60,000 hectares from 2008 to resettle destitute members of the San community to engage in agricultural projects. “This is indicative of government’s commitment to provide essential services to all its citizens,” added Mbumba, while also acknowledging the land dispute around the Etosha National Park led by the Hai//Om San community. Luderitz Office: Tel/Fax: +264 63 - 204 180/2 Cell: +264 81 245 9714 firstname.lastname@example.org DISTRIBUTION AND SUBSCRIPTIONS Ernst Apollus email@example.com Tel: +264 61 - 208 0826 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 MARKETING, SALES AND PRODUCTION Festus Goseb firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Tel: +264 61 - 208 0822 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 GEINGOB From page 1 hospitality and tourism sectors. Some of the prominent business people include Dr Leake Hangala who is the director of the NCCI and the executive chairperson of Hangala Group, Kennedy Hamutenya, the chief executive officer of the state-owned diamond marketing and selling company Namib Desert Diamonds, the chairperson of the Namibia Airports Company Rodger Kauta, as well as the company’s acting CEO Albertus Aochamub and deputy board chairperson Beverly Vugs. The chief executive officer of Roads Authority Conrad Lutombi is also in the delagation. Private businesspeople in the delegation include Hosea Nico Kaiyamo of Cavema Fishing, David Sheehama David of Kambwa Trading, Lynette Lutombi from O&L Leisure, Amos Shiyuka of MobiPay, John Walenga of Omalaeti Productions and Jerome Mutumba of Guinas Investments. Others include Elmo Kaiyamo of Otesa, Feni Nanyeni of Nanyeni Investments, Martin Shipanga of Shipanga Medical Services, Erastus Shapumba of Chicco Group of Companies, Robanus Amadhila of Roama Gates Manufacturing, Nathalia Goagoses of House of Telne and Jeremia Muadinohamba of Muadifam Enterprises. The ministerial delegation to travel with Geingob are the Deputy Prime Minister Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah, Minister of Industrialisation Trade and SME Development Tjekero Tweya, finance minister Calle Schlettwein, water and forestry minister Alpheus !Naruseb, works minister John Mutorwa, tertiary education minister Dr Itah Kandjii- Murangi and Albert Kawana the Attorney General. Presidency Press Secretary Alfredo Hengari in a media statement issued on Saturday said the visit follows an invitation from Chinese President Xi Jinping. The trip will focus on sectors including science and technology, infrastructure, agriculture, trade and industry, business facilitation and tourism. Geingob will also be accompanied by First Lady Monica Geingos. Whilst there, Geingob said in the statement, he will strengthen commercial relations, development cooperation and people to people exchanges between the two countries. He said this would be aimed at contributing meaningfully to Namibia’s economic and industrial development. The president was further quoted as saying Namibia has a lot to learn from China as a major power and key centre of excellence and technological innovation, and one that has been able to lift close to 800 million people out of poverty in less than four decades. Hengari indicated that Geingob and his delegation will be travelling on commercial flights and will depart on Tuesday. Cameroon’s Paul Biya last visited China on a state visit last year. - Additional reporting by NAMPA
Monday, March 26 2018 | NEW ERA NEWS 3 EU fund KAZA to combat illegal wildlife trade The Ambassador of the European Union to Botswana and SADC, Alexander Baum Albertina Nakale Windhoek NHE’s senior communication and marketing officer Mutonga Matali NHE starts funding Mass Housing units in Bukalo John Muyamba Rundu Ambassador of the European Union to Botswana and the Southern African Development Community (SADC), Alexander Baum, announced a funding project estimated at €1.5 million (approximately N.8 million) to address the deteriorating wildlife crime situation in the Kavango-Zambezi (KAZA) Trans-Frontier Conservation Area (TFCA). This huge project is also expected to benefit Namibia as its part of the KAZA. The KAZA TFCA, which is larger than Germany and Austria combined and nearly twice as large as the United Kingdom, lies in the Kavango and Zambezi river basins where Angola, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe converge. The funding project was revealed during an occasion of the Giants Club Summit held in Kasane, Botswana, last week. He said this project, which is being implemented by the UK-based nongovernmental organisation (NGO) Space for Giants and a local NGO, Tlhokomela Trust, would strengthen wildlife law enforcement and crossborder collaboration in trans-boundary ecosystems by creating a trans-frontier wildlife law enforcement network of highly skilled individuals in the Kavango-Zambezi Trans-Frontier Conservation Area. The project was awarded following a call for proposals launched under the EU Cross-Regional Wildlife Conservation programme in Eastern and Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean. Through this funding, Baum noted a trans-frontier wildlife law enforcement training facility with a holistic training curriculum for training the wildlife law enforcement community would be established in Boro, near Maun. “The curriculum will include best practices in intelligence gathering, wildlife ranger tactical and specialist operations, wildlife crime investigation, and wildlife crime prosecution and sentencing in order to ensure that the entire criminal justice chain in each country is skilled to the highest levels for tackling wildlife crime,” Baum maintained. Further, a high-performance satellite communications network will be built to enable and enhance trans-frontier coordination on wildlife crime law enforcement. Baum stated the project is expected to create a highly effective and collaborative trans-frontier wildlife law enforcement community as a model for Illegal Wildlife Trade management across other African TFCAs. As a result, by 2021, the project expects to see at least a 50 percent reduction in the illegal killing of elephants, verified by records, and a significant improvement in conviction rates and penalties for those prosecuted for wildlife crime. The Ambassador said this intervention should result in an improved standard of wildlife law enforcement within the KAZA area, supported by a network of mobilised community groups effectively participating in wildlife law enforcement, alongside the private and public-sector actors. The National Housing Enterprise (NHE) has started financing houses built under the Mass Housing programme in Bukalo after banks refused to extend mortgages to the houses in the area. Cabinet has asked NHE to finance the houses so that the houses, which until now are unoccupied, would find buyers. The directive allowed NHE to bond the properties that were struggling to sell in the village councils. Ordinarily, NHE only finances social houses. It is in the Bukalo Village Council, in the Zambezi region, where banks refused to finance 57 creditlinked houses. However, the process of selling these properties is progressing fairly well not only in Bukalo but also in other places that struggled to get financing from the banks, said NHE’s senior communication and marketing officer Mutonga Matali on Friday. “To this end, I am pleased to inform you that all 29 social houses have since been sold and handed over to clients while 43 out of the 57 credit-linked houses have been allocated accordingly and the loan approval process is currently underway and we expect this process to be finalised in due course,” Matali said. At Bukalo, all 29 social houses constructed are twobedroomed houses, while there are 47 credit-linked two-bedroomed houses and 10 three-bedroomed houses. “There was no delay with regards to social houses,” he said. “However, we experienced some delay in allocating credit-linked houses due to the reluctance by some commercial banks to finance properties in a village council set-up but the process has since picked up after NHE was given the mandate to finance these properties by Cabinet,” Matali noted. The Bukalo project is part of the Mass Housing Development Programme and it commenced with other projects being executed in various towns across the country. Nantu dismayed over unequal pay among teachers Albertina Nakale Windhoek Namibia National Teachers’ Union (Nantu) leadership wants government to urgently address the unequal pay in the public service, which is especially prevalent in the teaching profession. Nantu secretary general, Basilius Haingura, said the issue is that staff members in the same job grade, Grade 5, do not receive similar fringe benefits such as car and housing allowances. Haingura says the union has, on various occasions, engaged the Office of the Prime Minister to address the matter to no avail. “We are of the view that the Office of the Prime Minister is playing delaying tactics. This attitude might result in a declaration of a dispute, as the union cannot and will not tolerate unfair labour practice,” he said. Nantu also says it has noted the issues emanated from job evaluation and grading, especially grades 8 and 9 in the teaching sector. He says there is one grade, which is missing that is Grade 7 and does not justify the current grading in teaching. Nantu has also engaged the ministry in this regard and there is a delay from the ministry to reach consensus before the matter is referred to the Office of the Prime Minister for consideration. Nantu secretary general Basilius Haingura Therefore, he informed the affected staff members in their bargaining unit that Nantu is not relenting in addressing the matter. “It is because of our efforts that, according to informal information, the position of inspector of education has been put on hold for now until the grievance has been addressed,” he said. Another issue of concern to Nantu is about the manner in which some regional directors of education are treating the teaching staff who are residing in government hostel houses. “Teacher accommodation has been a stumbling block in our quest for equitable deployment of teachers, hence the lack of the provision of equitable education for all in the Namibian education system. This situation is being [brought about] by the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture [Sanet Steenkamp],” he alleged. Steenkamp was not available for comment yesterday. Haingura said it should be clear to the ministry that Nantu is not in favour of staff members being accommodated in hostel accommodation for free. He said they expect that each nonessential boarder residing in the hostel, especially those coming from other regions, should pay the required rental amounts as determined by government. Moreover, he said it is disappointing to note that teachers are being evicted while accommodation spaces are available in the hostels of their respective schools. “We have established upon inquiries that regional directors of education and school management are responsible for the eviction of staff members. The evictions are caused by regional directors of education and school management with the support of senior officials in the ministry by claiming that it was a decision of the ministerial policy coordinating committee to cut costs,” he reacted.