4 NEWS Monday, March 5 2018 | NEW ERA Cloud seeding programme on hold Staff Reporter Windhoek The Ministry of Environment and Tourism programme to explore possible ways of ar- (cloud seeding) is still on hold sources have been mobilised. Prevailing poor rainfall experienced in Namibia due to climate change has prompted the environment and tourism ministry to investigate the possibility of applying cloudseeding technology to improve rainfall. The ministry entered an agreement with Cuba in 2015 to explore this programme to address water scarcity and food security in the country. A total of N.4 million is required to implement the project but the ministry spokesperson Romeo Muyunda said the amount and if they start they will need Muyunda said based on the general information gathered by the Cuban experts during their visit to Namibia, they were expected to develop a brief feasibility study, which included recommendations of actions to begin a cloudseeding programme last year. Cuban climatology experts from the meteorological institute of Cuba were dispatched to Namibia in September 2016 to carry out a preliminary feasibility study on the possible application of cloud seeding. He said upon the experts’ arrival in Namibia, several consultations with key institutions at local, regional and national level were held and a detailed programme of objectives and methodological aspects relating to the possible application of cloud seeding were presented and discussed. Muyunda added that at national level, consultations were held with the national climate change committee comprising line ministries, including ministries of envi- international relations, energy, works and transport, and the National Planning Commission, Environmental Investment Fund, the University of Namibia, Namibia University of Science and Technology, Gobabeb research centre, among others. “National experts provided necessary information on issues such as cloudiness ad rainfall trends in several regions of Namibia. A tour visit was undertaken to the central, coastal and northern parts of the country that included Otjozondjupa, Kavango East, and West, Oshikoto, Oshana, Omusati and Erongo regions,” he said. Eveline de Klerk Walvis Bay The plundering of copper wire and vandalism of infrastructure continues to be a challenge for Telecom Namibia, despite continuous efforts and awareness campaigns around the importance of such key infrastructure for Namibia. The telecommunications parastatal suffered yet another loss of close to a million dollars when copper wire thieves struck in Otjimbingwe, Walvis Bay and the Namib Naukluft Park in what appears to be coordinated thefts. Criminals not only caused a setback for the organisation but also massive damage to the infrastructure, with the utility now expected to fork out millions to restore the looted infrastructure. According to information availed to New Era, Telecom Namibia lost N0,000 worth of copper wire in the Otjimbingwe area in February when thieves cut poles and removed the copper wire. The wire was later traced to a scrap metal dealer at Walvis Bay, Staff Reporter Windhoek A 27-year-old man got the shock of his life when armed police at his Amarok double cab in the early hours of Friday after he was mistaken for a fugitive. Wapale Kalla was going home to sleep a few minutes to midnight at around 23h51 when he noticed a car was parked at his parking spot. Kalla then decided to park his vehicle on the sidewalk and while trying to park, an armed “individual” pointed a gun at him. Kalla immediately thought the family house and business were being robbed and so he ducked while reversing his car in panic. About 20 metres away, four ing, unleashed a volley of bullets at him, apparently 26 shots. They kept shooting and when Kalla saw they wouldn’t stop Victoria Kaapanda Oshakati The newly-appointed chief region- Council said he plans to have all council updated. During an interview at the Fillipus Shilongo said during his tenure he will collaborate with other key stakeholders such as the National Planning Commission (NPC) and line ministries to bring about change and ensure that council are improved as required by the auditor general. Telecom loses over N7,000 to latest copper wire thefts Omakolokoto Metals, which led to the arrest of at least three men including the owner of the scrap metal dealership. In another incident, in the same area, several suspects once again used the same modus operandi and stole copper wire valued at N7,000. The copper wire was also traced to a scrap metal dealer in Walvis Bay. Two similar cases were reported in the Namib Naukluft and in Walvis Bay itself. The thieves stole copper wire worth N,500 in the Namib Naukluft Park and copper wire worth N,000 in shooting he raised both arms and crawled out of the car, telling them “stop shooting and take whatever you want”, “The four men were shouting even when I ‘surrendered’,” said Kalla, saying it was only when the manager of the family guest house in the same vicinity arrived While attending the signing ceremony of the memorandum of understanding between the Provincial Government of Limpopo and Oshana, Ohangwena, Omusati and Oshikoto regions, Shilongo told the media that all along he has been focused on bringing about development in the region together with the council and other staff members. He said many outstanding decisions and projects approved by council have not been implemented to date. Shilongo also admitted the Ohangwena Regional Council’s books have not been audited for Walvis Bay. Deputy Commissioner Erastus Iikuyu yesterday told New Era that several suspects were arrested so far, including scrap metal dealers. Andries Geingob, 42, who has Swakopmund and Windhoek, was re-arrested for copper wire theft in Walvis Bay with Aron Afrikaner, 27, and a minor who cannot be named. Others arrested were Vaino Iita, Manfred Lucky Ganeb and James Seun Naruseb. Oiva Angula, the head of corporate communications and public relations at Telecom Namibia, on and asked why they were shooting at him that the police realised they had mistaken Kalla as one of the suspects in the N0,000 heist that took place last week in Okahandja. On Friday morning the police were still investigating the crime scene when New Era met Kalla at books of 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and 217-2018 are yet to be audited by the auditor general. The books of Ohangwena Regional Council came under the spotlight when the auditor general raised the alarm that the regional council has been budgeting without accounting for its spending. statements on time for the last three years. Financial statements dating back to 2006 are still outstanding. Two weeks ago, New Era quoted the chairman of the National Council Public Accounts Committee Peter Kazongominja who questioned Shilongo and his colleagues. “The money you are dealing with is public money and it shows that nobody knows whether the money spent over the previous years was rightly or wrongly used,” he had said. Friday requested the public to be on the lookout for criminals targeting the institution’s infrastructure. “We want the public to be aware what such damage can do to our infrastructure. At the same time, we are happy that the awareness we create is paying off that we cable theft and network vandalism. We also urge the media to report on such vandalism and theft to drive a clear message to would-be criminals that the long arm of the law will eventually catch up with them,” Angula said. Shot at 26 times in case of mistaken identity New Ohangwena CRO Bullet-riddled… The vehicle that Wapale Kalla was driving when police shot at him. Photo: Emmency Nuukala his residence in Hochland Park. He opened a case of attempted murder, malicious damage to prop- residential area, against the police. “I was very lucky because if I was driving the small car that I normally drive I would have been dead,” a shocked Kalla said. Contacted for comment on the matter, the head of media relations of the Namibian Police Force, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi, said she had no information on the matter. that,” said Shikwambi. Shilongo maintains the priority is to ensure they bring the region on par with government ministries and other agencies. Another priority is to capacitate his team to be able to respond to and carry out the mandate of the council. Before he was elevated to the council’ top job, Shilongo served as the director of planning for the same regional council since 2008. Controversies sparked prior to his appointment as a CRO, causing the council to re-interview all candidates, Shilongo included. He also worked on the Regional Development Plan of Ohangwena Region. He has been acting CRO ever since the former occupant Daniel Kashikola was appointed as deputy minister of safety and security in March 2015 by President Hage Geingob.
Monday, March 5 2018 | NEW ERA NEWS 5 WINDHOEK The Minister of Information and Communication Technology, Stanley Simataa, is optimistic that the Access to Information Bill will be tabled in parliament by the end of this year. Simataa was speaking at a consultative meeting with the Editors Forum of Namibia here Friday, saying he and his deputy, with other things being equally important, have again “By the end of this year we must have this bill, it is one of the key deliverables in terms of the Harambee Prosperity Plan and it is in our performance agreement,” he stated. The bill was expected to be tabled in the National Assembly in 2016, however former minister Tjekero Tweya explained in September 2017 that more consultation needed to be done with Roland Routh Windhoek The newly-appointed Minister of Urban and Rural Development, Peya Mushelenga, on Friday inaugurated the Lüderitz Fire Station. During his keynote address Mushelenga applauded the developmental projects implemented by the Lüderitz Town Council. He said the government continues to invest in infrastructure development aimed at positively improving the living standards of Namibians. From left, !Nami#nus Constituency Councillor Jan Scholtz, the Minister of Urban and Rural Development Peya Mushelenga, Lüderitz Mayor Hilaria Mukapuli, and Lüderitz Councillor Johannes Abraham during the inauguration of Lüderitz Fire Station. Photo: Tuulikki Abraham Access to Information Bill to be tabled by end 2018 people in remote areas who do not have access to information. Defence asks for leniency for Jacobs Accessible… Minister of Information and Communication Technology Stanley Simataa The defence counsel of a man convicted of killing his estranged wife by stabbing her 12 times with a knife in her upper body and leaving her to die while he walked away, asked the court to show mercy on him and not destroy his life. Jan Wessels who appeared on behalf of Johannes Jacobs, 48, told High Court Judge Dinah Usiku that a very long custodial sentence would in essence destroy any chance Jacobs has of resuming a normal life after jail. During his testimony in mitigation, Jacobs told the judge that he has is one year and six months old and was born from a new relationship after the passing of his wife. He told the court he regretted the passing away of his wife and asked the court to give him a chance to be there for his youngest child. Judge Usiku found Jacobs guilty of intentionally killing his wife, Sophia Lucia Jacobs, 41, by stabbing her 12 times with a knife in the chest and back at Blouwes Primary School and Hostel in the Keetman- The deceased died the next day in the Keetmanshoop hospital due to her injuries. He pleaded not guilty to the The bill gives every individual the right to seek access and Johannes Jacobs charge and claimed his wife fell on the knife while they were struggling for it and that caused the fatal stab wounds. The two killing blows were one receive information from public bodies or private bodies that perform public functions. Simataa noted that they moved at the right speed when initiating the bill, they went to Cabinet where it was approved and they had extensive consultations with relevant stakeholders. “Remember, not every idea you generate will be taken on board and we need to accept that principle, because if we do not accept that principle we will have He added that it is challenging as they need to go back to the Cabinet Committee on Legislation (CCL) and are still consulting other key stakeholders as directed by the CCL, but once this is done they will again table the bill. “The Access to Information Bill has so many stakeholders and we are part of those stakeholders, as are all Namibians,” he said. – Nampa 110mm deep wound that penetrated the left ventricle of the heart and one wound that penetrated the upper left lung, which caused massive bleeding. The judge found that Jacobs acted with the subjective intention to kill his wife when he stabbed her with extreme force in an exceptionally vulnerable part of the body. State Advocate Hesekiel Ipinge asked the court to remove Jacobs from society for a long time as he is clearly a danger to society. He further said the use of knives to commit heinous crimes has become an almost daily occurrence in Namibia and a serious message must be sent out to would-be offenders that the court will not tolerate this tendency. He argued that society relies on the courts to stop the carnage that is killing children and women. Judge Usiku postponed the matter to March 7 when she will deliver her sentence. NBL contributes towards independence celebrations Strauss Lunyangwe Windhoek As the country gears up to celebrate 28 years of independence on March 21, Namibia Breweries Limited (NBL) has made sure foreign missions abroad are not left out. On Friday NBL handed cases of Windhoek Lager to the Ministry of International Relations and Cooperation for distribution to Namibian foreign missions across the world. Senior brand manager at NBL, Claudia Opperman, says the annual donation to the independence celebrations is a big priority for Namibia Breweries. She acknowledged that without government’s support NBL would not be where it is today. The breweries would also not be able to pursue its purpose of creating a future and enhancing the lives of all Namibians, she added. The breweries donated 360 cases this year, 40 more than 2017. “We value the roles of our respective ambassadors, staff and consulates as they play a critical and important role of uplifting and keeping the image of Namibia high while on their diplomatic missions,” Opperman said. The Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Christine // Hoebes accepted the donation. She commended NBL for complementing government’s efforts in building a sustainable economy. She noted NBL’s involvement with the barley project with the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry, which embodies a national vision and emphasises value addition and employment creation. //Hoebes also stressed NBL should drum up more strategies in talking to youth who consume alcohol. “Whether or not it’s true, our country is rated amongst the top countries that consume alcohol, which is not something to boast about.” She urged the breweries to have more campaigns that promote responsible drinking amongst the youth as they are the leaders of tomorrow. The donation is towards celebrating independence and also bringing fellow countrymen and women abroad together in signifying the country’s 28 years of freedom.