2 months ago

New Era Newspaper Thursday February 15, 2018

  • Text
  • Namibia
  • Windhoek
  • February
  • Namibian
  • Ministry
  • African
  • Procurement
  • Bids
  • Regional
  • Tender


6 NEWS Thursday, February 15 2018 | NEW ERA Farmers sold mahangu worth nearly N million through Werengendje RUNDU Farmers in the Kavango East sold mahangu worth N.7 million during Operation Werengendje last year. This is an indication of the impact the programme had on the lives of farmers, Kavango East Governor Samuel Mbambo said in an interview with Nampa on Tuesday. Mbambo initiated the operation. Literally translated, Operation Werengendje means ‘Operation Termite’. It is aimed at assisting and inspiring residents of the region to grow their own food to ensure self-sufficiency and food security. “When we planned the programme, we decided to plough 2 000 hectares, but because of challenges here and there we could only plough 1 750 hectares,” he said. As stakeholders, the Agro Marketing and Trade Agency (AMTA) and Agricultural Into action… Villagers of Ngone village in the Kavango West region ploughing their mahangu rains received over the past few days. Johannes Kangoro holds the plough while Moyo Benedictus helps him spur the oxen. Photo: Nampa Business Development Agency (Agribusdev) were responsible for buying the mahangu from farmers, Mbambo said. “However, because of limited funds from AMTA’s side, they could not buy all of the mahangu. However, the money that came into the Kavango East Region because of Operation Werengendje is not less than N.dollars 1.7 million,” he stated. Besides AMTA and Agribusdev, mahangu was also sold to Namibia Breweries Limited and a brewery in South Africa. Mbambo said Operation Werengendje created a market for farmers, creating an income for a lot of people. “The main thing here is that the programme brought back that pride in farmers to work and produce food for themselves,” he said. He added that another aim of operation, besides food production, was restoring human dignity. – Nampa RFA targets over N.5 billion from road users WINDHOEK The Road Fund Administration (RFA) hopes to collect more than N.5 billion in revenue from the Namibian Road User Charging System (RUCS) year, which ends in March. This was said by RFA Chief Executive Officer, Ali Ipinge during the signing of procedures agreements with local authorities in the Khomas, Hardap and Omaheke regions in the capital on Tuesday. In order for the RFA to comply with its legislative mandate and functions in providing funding to approved authorities, there must be a procedures agreement in place. The agreement sets out the conditions of funding and procedures to be followed by the RFA and the authorities. Ali Ipinge Ipinge said the RFA is obliged to make funding contributions, from the collected revenue, to the approved authorities for the maintaining of existing roads. “The funding is allocated towards maintenance of urban and rural roads, as well as the implementation of road safety initiatives including road research studies,” he said. He noted that the RFA wants to see proper budgeting, project planning and optimal utilisation of the allocated funds by authorities at all levels in the maintenance of roads. He further revealed that the total budget allocation to the authorities for the been increased to N7 million compared to the previous N million. “Similar signing ceremonies will be conducted with all other approved authorities in the remaining regions and will be concluded before 31 March 2018,” he said. Road user charges consist of fuel levies, annual vehicle license and registration fees, mass distance and cross border charges as well as abnormal load fees. - Nampa Woman allegedly pushes MESSAGE OF CONDOLENCE WINDHOEK A seven-year-old girl has been admitted to the Opuwo District Hospital after her grandmother allegedly pushed her into a fire for disobeying her orders. The Namibian Police Force’s crime investigations coordinator for Kunene, Deputy Commissioner Rudolf Kanyetu told Nampa on Tuesday the woman was arrested on Monday and faces a charge of attempted murder. The incident occurred around 22h00 on Sunday at Ovinjange village on the outskirts of Opuwo. It is alleged that the suspect got home around this time and ordered her granddaughter to fetch water, which the girl allegedly refused to do. The woman then allegedly grabbed the girl and pushed her into the Kanyetu said the victim sustained multiple burns on her face and thighs and her condition has been reported as stable. The suspect, who is said to be between 40 and 45, is expected to appear in the Opuwo Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday. - Nampa The late Eric Oranje It is with great sorrow that the Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service announce the passing on of our colleague, Mr. Eric Oranje, who passed away on 4 February 2018. The late Eric Oranje served as a Driver at the Keetmanshoop Multi – Purpose Youth Resource Centre for 19 years. The Honourable Minister, Honourable Deputy Minister, the Permanent Secretary and the entire staff of the Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service extend their deepest sympathy and condolences to the bereaved family of the late Eric Oranje. May his soul rest in eternal peace. Tel: +264 (0) 61 208 8111 Fax: +264 (0) 61 228 560 Telex: (50908) 709 Enquiries : C Mungandjela Tel : 208 8310 Private Bag 13341, Ausspannplatz 6719 Bell Street, Snyman Circle Windhoek, NAMIBIA NOTICE TO ALL SUPPLIERS The Ministry of Works and Transport, hereby requests all its service providers of nd March 2018 in order to ensure timely processing of all payments. Thank You REPUBLIC OF NAMIBIA MINISTRY OF WORKS AND TRANSPORT _____________________ Willem Goeiemann PERMANENT SECRETARY

Thursday, February 15 2018 | NEW ERA NEWS 7 Murder docket referred to PG Nuusita Ashipala Ondangwa Nelongo granted bail of N,500 Staff Reporter Windhoek The prosecutor general is set to pronounce herself in the matter of two men who stand accused of intentionally killing Elton Kaxwab on December 27, 2016. Jentley Hansen, 25, and Michael Kaweti, 27, stand accused of intentionally killing Kaxwab by stabbing him multiple times. The pair took their preliminary plea last week, denying guilt on a charge of murder. Hansen and his co-accused opted to remain silent and their defence counsels Jan Wessels and Precious Mutali noted they will arrange their own witnesses to testify in favour of the accused. The accused having made their preliminary pleas, the state referred the matter to the prosecutor general to decide whether the two should be prosecuted or not, where they should stand trial and what charges should they face, should they stand trial. The prosecution says the men unlawfully and intentionally had a direct intent to kill Kaxwab on the said date due to the Kaxwab’s body. It is alleged that Hansen, his co-accused Kaweti and Kaxwab were involved in an argument with resulted in a tussle. It is further alleged that before Kaxwab’s body was discovered covered in stab wounds the trio were hanging out at gambling house in Karsh Street in Katutura. Kaxwab’s corpse was discovered with multiple stab wounds in Karsh Street in Katutura, Windhoek on December 27, 2016. Kaxwab died as a result of those stab wounds that caused him to bleed excessively. Hansen and his co accused are expected to make a return in court for the prosecutor general’s decision on April 27. Hansen and Kaweti’s bail of N,000 each was extended until their next court appearance as scheduled. Magistrate Brand van Platzen presided over the matter with Tatelo Lusepani Lusepani prosecuting. The Swapo regional coordinator for Oshana was granted bail of N,500 at the Ondangwa Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday. The 53-year-old Samuel Nelongo is charged with the theft of a beast worth N,000, contrary to initial police reports claiming he had allegedly stolen 30 cattle worth N0,000. Magistrate Ilge Rheent granted him bail. The crime was committed between 2016 and 2017. Nelongo’s case was postponed to April 9 for further police investigation and to allow the police to obtain additional statements, plan. Nelongo was arrested on Sunday on charges of stock theft in the district of Ondangwa. State prosecutor Charly Tangeni Nabot Iyambo proposed the court grant Nelongo N,000 bail but his legal representative Natasha Ndilula pleaded with the court to reduce the bail to N,000. Ndilula from Samuel Legal Practitioners was on Maria Amakali Windhoek Simon Tjooya who stands accused of killing Issy Swartz over a bottle of brandy is set to hear judgement in his case this month. With the heads of argument presented, the magistrate Elina Nandago said judgement will be ready on February 23. Tjooya, 29, is on trial for what the prosecution deems an unlawful and intentional killing. Tjooya is charged with a count of murder for the death of Swartz who died from a stab wound on November 03, 2012 in Windhoek’s informal settlement of Goreangab. During submissions the state indicated Photo: Nuusita Ashipala Swapo coordinator for Oshana, Samuel Nelongo instruction from Sisa Namandje. New Era understands that Nelongo was only found in possession of one head of cattle, however, the owner of the cattle is missing 30 animals. that with the testimony of Henry Ndakolute, an eyewitness, it is clear Tjooya is responsible for Swartz’s death. Ndakolute, stabbing Swartz. It was revealed during the trial that Tjooya ran after Swartz and robbed him of a bottle of Richelieu brandy before on that fateful day. “It is the state’s submission that the court should reject the accused’s version in totality and convict him on a charge of murder,” said the prosecutor Mennecia Hinda. Tjooya has denied intentionally killing Swartz, stating that he was not even aware The police regional commander Commissioner Rauha Amwele on Monday only provided little information on the case, saying too much information would jeopardise their investigation. Judgement set for murder over brandy at the time that Swartz had died. Tjooya’s defence team pointed out that there were no witnesses who saw Tjooya stabbing Swartz. Furthermore, there is an inconsistency in the versions of the witnesses. According to the defence team the state had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt an intent to kill which would have secured them a conviction. “Even if the accused did stab the deceased, all the elements need to be proven beyond reasonable doubt for a conviction,” explained Tjooya’s defence attorney Quine Fenyeho. In the defence’s view this warrants an acquittal on a charge of murder. Book NOW! 2018 Independence Supplement Desiree Williams Sales & Marketing Executive Contact me: Tel: +264 61 208 0844 Email: Guaranteeing returns, as we reach your target markets. #TalkToUs Supplement Material Deadline Publication Date Independence 14 March '18 20 March ' 18 Contact us: Tel: +264 61 208 0800 | Website:

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167