4 NEWS Thursday, July 27 2017 | NEW ERA Truck-jacking leads to search of ‘struggle kids’ camp Staff Reporter Windhoek The police have opened three cases against the ‘struggle kids’ camping at Ndilimani farm at Brakwater following a hijacking of an emergency service fire truck by members of the group last Friday. Cases opened on Friday are arson, driving a vehicle without the owner’s consent, theft and malicious damage to property. The police visited the camp on Tuesday morning and conducted a search for missing equipment from the truck. According to the Khomas Regional Police crime investigation coordinator Deputy Commissioner Abner Agas, two bolt cutters went missing from the fire engine after firefighters were summoned to extinguish a fire near Ndilimani camp. He said that after the firefighters arrived the fire truck was hijacked and the driver attacked. Agas said one of the ‘struggle kids’ drove the fire truck into their camp and the police want to know who that was. He said they also want to know who lit the fire in the vicinity that destroyed a fence. One bolt cutter has been recovered but the other is still missing. “We are here to get the bolt cutter and it must be among one of you. We are peaceful. If you don’t want to bring it we will search your makeshift structures one by one. If you bring it we will not conduct any search,” said Agas. Photo: Emmency Nuukala. On the hunt… Police arrived at Ndilimani camp yesterday looking for equipment taken from a fire truck that was briefly hijacked by the ‘struggle kids’. Nampol Khomas Regional Police coordinator Sylvanus Nghishidimbwa said no one was arrested but they were busy identifying the suspects. He said the police recovered a gas mask from the group. “It is not easy to arrest everybody and it is not easy to identify the suspect among a group of 400 people, but we are using techniques and procedures to identify the suspects,”Nghishidimbwa said. After the police search the group’s spokesperson Jerry Hamukwaya told New Era via telephone that the police did not find the equipment but they will return again. The group also gathered at Bokomo premises on Tuesday morning begging for food but they were informed the company couldn’t assist them. They then returned to their campsite. Convicted drug dealer loses possessions to the state Photo: Emmency Nuukala Crime does not pay… Convicted drug dealer Daniel Mavunga Kabenda Maria Amakali Windhoek Forty-year-old Daniel Mavunga Kabenda who was convicted of drug dealing and is currently serving his time, was dealt a heavy blow following a court order to have all his possessions forfeited to the state. The state filed an application in terms of Section 32 of Act 29 of 2004 against Kabenda to have all his possessions in Namibia seized by the state. Magistrate Elina Nandago gave an order that was in favour of the state that all his property be possessed by the state. Kabenda, who is an Angolan national, was sentenced to seven years behind bars for dealing in 2.52 kg of cocaine with a street value of about N.26 million. The prosecution brought the application that Kabenda’s possessions be seized as he acquired them through proceeds he had obtained by selling drugs. Kabenda, who opted to represent himself, decided to not oppose the state’s request although he had earlier denied that his vehicle was bought with the proceeds from selling drugs. Through investigations the court found that the only possession that Kabenda had in Namibia was a Nissan GTR. However, the magistrate Nandago said it should be surrendered to the state or alternatively an amount of N.2 million which is equivalent to the value of the vehicle. Kabenda was arrested in Windhoek on April 30, 2013 after the police found cocaine buried in the yard of his rented home in Rocky Crest. Although having denied guilt in court he had admitted to the police that he had bought the cocaine in Angola for US,000 and sold it in small bags of 10g for N0 each. The drugs, as well as N,600 cash that was found on Kabenda at the time of his arrest, went missing and are presumed to have been stolen while in the custody of the police. Potholes frustrate Rundu motorists RUNDU Motorists in Rundu are unhappy with the deteriorating roads in and outside of town. Roads that are particularly in a bad state are the ones leading to Elias Neromba Senior Secondary School in Sauyemwa residential area and from Sauyemwa to Kasote informal settlement. Gravel roads in the centre of town are also in a bad condition. The road joining the highway to Nkurenkuru is filled with potholes, forcing motorists to drive on the side of the road. Many cars get stuck on the Sauyemwa-Kasote gravel road as the sand is very thick. Taxi driver Immanuel Silvanus told Nampa on enquiry recently that the council should do something regarding the condition of all the roads in town because they are disturbing business. “Something must be done before it is too late for rehabilitation,” said Silvanus. He said other towns are rehabilitating their roads but it seems the Rundu Town Council (RTC) is reluctant to upgrade and rehabilitate the roads. Annakleta Haikera, who uses the roads to and from work daily, is disappointed in the authorities for failing to rehabilitate the roads. She said while other towns are moving forward in terms of road infrastructure, it seems Rundu is going backwards. Approached for comment, Rundu Mayor Verna Sinimbo told this agency it is not pleasant to drive on the roads, and the council wishes to see that all roads are rehabilitated. The roads in town and some outside town were only rehabilitated before the main independence celebrations that were hosted in the town in March. “We are hands-on trying to see how best we can address the problem and take services closer to the people,” Sinimbo said. Council has contracted the Arova Trading company to rehabilitate all the tarred and gravel roads but the project has been put on hold due to financial constraints, said Sinimbo. Acting RTC CEO Matheus Naironga said the project was put on hold because of financial difficulties due to budget cuts from the government. The RTC has paid the contractor half of the money owed. Naironga could, however, not disclose the amount. He added that tests on sand samples on the road stretching from Protea Supermarket to Vindundu Brick Supplier over about 100 metres failed, thus another test needs to be done. Efforts to get hold of the owner of Arova on challenges faced with the rehabilitation of the roads were fruitless, as her mobile phone went unanswered several times. – Nampa Photo: Nampa Caution… Motorists driving on the side of the road because of the deteriorated condition of the road.
Thursday, July 27 2017 | NEW ERA NEWS 5 Woman held at S.A airport for rhino horn smuggling JOHANNESBURG South African police Wednesday arrested a 24-year-old woman with 20 kilogrammes of rhino horn before she could board a flight bound for Hong Kong, a spokesman said. The woman, whose nationality has not been revealed, was detained at Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport while in transit from the Zambian capital, Lusaka. Police said a luggage scanner revealed her suitcase “contained 11 pieces of rhino horn weighing approximately 20 kilogrammes.” She has since been charged with contravening laws that protect endangered species. South Africa is battling a scourge of rhino poaching fuelled by an insatiable demand for their horn in Asia, where its powdered form is mistakenly believed to have medicinal powers that could cure cancer or act as an aphrodisiac. Roughly a quarter of the world rhino population has been killed in South Africa, home to 80 percent of those remaining, in the last eight years. The South African government this week said 529 rhino were poached for their horns in the first half of 2017, a slight decrease from 542 killed during the same period a year ago. – Nampa/AFP Photo: Roland Routh Suspected killers… Rhyno du Preez and Rachel Rittmann. Psychiatric ward has no bed for Rittmann Roland Routh Windhoek There is no bed in the psychiatric unit of Windhoek Central Hospital for the woman who allegedly conspired with her lover to kill her husband, Judge Christi Liebenberg was informed yesterday. The judge had earlier this month ordered that Rachel Elizabeth Rittmann, 46, undergo psychiatric evaluation after her state-funded defense counsel, Hipura Ujaha, applied to the court in terms of the Criminal Procedure Act for his client to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. According to Hipura Ujaha, he was unable to consult his client properly, as Rittmann was not “able to give proper instructions and prepare a decent defence”. State Advocate Martinho Olivier said he was informed by the superintendent of Windhoek Central Hospital, under whose auspices the psychiatric unit resorts, that the unit is currently full to capacity with a long waiting list. He said the likelihood of Rittmann being observed this year was remote. The murder trial of Rittmann and her co-accused was put back on the mentions roll of the High Court after the application for psychiatric observation was granted. Ujaha made the application after Rittmann’s co-accused, Rhyno Richardo du Preez, 33, told the court he wants to plead guilty to the murder, conspiracy and obstructing the course of justice charges only and not guilty to the robbery charge. The State, however, rejected the plea as Du Preez did not admit to all elements of the crimes. His state-funded lawyer, Boris Isaacks, informed the court he was withdrawing the plea and was putting the onus on the State to prove every allegation against his client. Together the two accused lovers face one count of murder read with the provisions of the Domestic Violence Act, one count of conspiracy to commit murder, one count of robbery with aggravating circumstances and one count of defeating or obstructing, or attempting to defeat or obstruct the course of justice. According to the State, Du Preez and Rachel conspired to kill her husband, Rudolph Henry Rittmann. It is alleged they stabbed Rittmann to death at his home in Gobabis and then drove the body in his vehicle to a secluded spot in the veld, where they set it on fire with the body inside. They allegedly did this to create the impression of an accident. The 35-year-old Rittmann’s burned out remains were found a few days later in his car, a few kilometres from Hosea Kutako International Airport along the Windhoek- Gobabis road. Rittmann remains in custody at Klein Windhoek Police Station and Du Preez at the Windhoek Correctional Facility’s trial awaiting section. Photo: Sabina Elago All systems go… The High Commission of India’s excellent work in Namibia continues unabated after it yesterday presented a flight ticket to New Era journalist Kuzeeko Tjitemisa, who will be studying development journalism at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication in New Delhi. His studies are part of the technical cooperation between New Era Publication Corporation (NEPC) and the Indian Embassy in Windhoek, under its flagship Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) programme. In the photo, the mission’s second secretary, Vinay Kumar (left), hands over the ticket to Tjitemisa (middle), while NEPC managing editor Toivo Ndjebela looks on. TENDER Reference: Tender BoN No. 05/2017 Description of Service: Printing of Annual Report and In-House Newsletter tender for Bank of Namibia. Terms of Reference: Terms of reference for the above tender are obtainable at Bank of Namibia, 71 Robert Mugabe Avenue, Windhoek. Cost: N$ 200.00 Non-refundable (per document). Terms of reference will be sold from 09H00 to 11H00 weekdays. Note: Prospective Service Providers are required to submit sample printed work. Artwork for the sample print jobs are obtainable from the Bank of Namibia website at the following link: https://www.bon.com.na/Informations/Tenders.aspx Closing date for submissions: Friday, 11 August 2017 at 12H00 Technical enquiries: Sandra Garises, Tel: +264 61 283 5210 Procurement Enquiries: Ms Delila Matengu Tel: +264 61 283 5255