Views
5 months ago

New Era Newspaper Thursday July 6 2017

  • Text
  • Windhoek
  • Namibia
  • African
  • Namibian
  • Walvis
  • Environmental
  • Provision
  • Kuna
  • Valombola
  • Materials

16 AFRICA

16 AFRICA Thursday, July 6 2017 | NEW ERA Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe Mugabe tells land grabbers SA sugar plantations off limits MASVINGO Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has warned land invaders to stay away from South African-owned Tongaat Hulett sugar plantations. Mugabe’s warning comes amid complaints from the company that some villagers, supported by a group of war veterans and Zanu-PF leaders, were targeting its plantations in the Lowveld. “Surely, you cannot harvest where you did not sow,” Mugabe said in an unprecedented warning in Masvingo province. “We gave you the land. So, make full use of it or seek skills from those with the know-how.” Mugabe has convened a meeting with local Zanu- PF politicians, war veterans and traditional leaders to avert any possibility of invasion of Tongaat Hulett cane sugar plantations in the Lowveld. Speaking in the vernacular Shona, Mugabe lashed out at the land grabbers arguing they should invest in the land currently in their possession and grow their own crops instead of invading farmlands already tilled by Tongaat Hulett. Tongaat Hulett, which also sponsors a local premier league football team, owns vast tracts of land in the Lowveld of Chiredzi and Mwenezi districts. Most of its plantations are located in Chiredzi’s Hippo Valley estates, Mkwasine, Mwenezi and Triangle, where more than 10,000 people are employed. Apart from sugarcane production, Tongaat Hulett also produces ethanol fuel from cane sugar for local consumption as well as stock-feed. The company also has presence in Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland. Mugabe’s warning is a major shift from his stance against land ownership by foreign nationals and companies. Over the years, since 2000, he has sanctioned the invasion of white-owned farms, a development blamed for incessant hunger in the country formerly known as an exporter of food. – Nampa/ANA SADC must intervene in human rights abuse in Swaziland, says ANC JOHANNESBURG The African National Congress on Tuesday called for Swaziland, sub-Saharan Africa’s last absolute monarchy, to be referred to the Southern African Development Community (SADC) for abuse of human rights and suppression of dissent and political activity. Swaziland’s Suppression of Terrorism Act, which has been used by government to ban political groups opposing King Mswati’s rule, was last year declared unconstitutional by the country’s High Court. Government used the Suppression of Terrorism Act to ban the People’s United Democratic Movement (Pudemo) in 2008. The party’s president, Mario Masuku, still awaits trial after being charged with treason for publicly uttering the name of his organisation at a May Day rally in 2014. The terrorism act forbids public mention of a proscribed entity such as Pudemo or the Swaziland Youth Congress (Swayoco). Reporting back on the outcomes of the international relations commission at JOHANNESBURG Ugandan public servants have been warned to cover up after being accused of “sexually harassing” their colleagues by showing too much flesh. Although Uganda’s ministry of public service’s directive enforces a strict dress code for both men and women it was seen as disproportionately focusing on women, and included a ban on mini-skirts and showing cleavage. Public Service Permanent Secretary Catherine Bitarakwate Musingwiire signed a circular stating that all officers were required to dress decently and in the generally acceptable standards of Ugandan society, that country’s Daily Monitor newspaper reported on Tuesday. “Female officers, should avoid wearing transparent blouses and dresses at the work place and ensure that clothing covers up cleavage, navels, knees and back,” read the circular. LIBREVILLE Armed groups in the Central African Republic have killed hundreds of civilians in an unfettered spree of bloodletting, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said Wednesday. The group issued a 92-page report ahead of the impending opening of a Special Criminal Court, a new judicial body that will probe rights violations in the country since 2003. Investigators found evidence of more than 560 civilian deaths and the destruction of more than 4,200 homes by militias since late 2014, HRW said. But this was likely to be just a small fraction of the total crimes that had been committed, it cautioned. The killings had occurred “with wholesale impunity,” the watchdog said. “Over the past two years, hundreds of the ANC national policy conference, chairwoman Miriam Segabutla said the people of Swaziland were suffering “gross human rights violation”. “The commission reflected on the nature of the Swazi monarchy, where the King wields executive, judicial and legislative power. It further discussed that the people of Swaziland still suffer gross human rights violation, as well as reflected on a status of political activity of Swayoco and that are now prescribed under the Anti Terrorism Act,” Segabutla said. “Accordingly, the commission recommended that the 53rd Resolution of the Mangaung Conference on Swaziland be implemented, and further recommended that the ANC explore mechanisms of strengthening it solidarity campaign on Swaziland and that we formalise the party-to-party relations with Pudemo. “But also support the call by the people of Swaziland for the unbanning of political parties and the release of all political prisoners, and that the issue of Swaziland be placed before SADC for intervention.” Meanwhile, Segabutla said the ANC had “Female officers will not be allowed to appear for duty in open flat shoes except on a doctor’s recommendation/medical grounds, wear brightly coloured hair, in form of natural hair, braids and hair extensions. “Those who choose to wear trousers may do so but the trousers must be in the form of smart lady suits with jackets, long enough to cover the bosom”. In regards to how male public officers were permitted to dress, they were advised to dress in “neat trousers, long sleeved shirts, jacket and a tie. Open shoes are not allowed.” According to Adah Muwanga, the ministry’s director of human resources, the directive was meant to respond to a public outcry over indecency. “We got complaints that some public officers are indecent. Some female officers are pumping up their breasts and wearing mini-skirts. You are sexually harassing the male counterparts and in Uganda witnesses told us of brazen war crimes committed by Seleka and anti-balaka fighters across the centre and eastern part of the Central African Republic,” HRW researcher Lewis Mudge said. “The lack of justice for these crimes has left fighters free to terrorise civilians at will, and fuelled ongoing revenge attacks.” One of the world’s poorest nations, CAR was pitched into a civil war between Muslim and Christian militias in 2013, unleashed when President Francois Bozize was overthrown by a coalition of Muslim-majority rebel groups called the Seleka. They in turn were ousted by a military intervention led by former colonial ruler France. Those events sparked the bloodiest sectarian violence in the country’s history as mainly Christian militias sought revenge. called on government to intervene in the ongoing Western Sahara conflict between the Polisario Front and the Kingdom of Morocco. “The commission reaffirmed the resolution on continuous engagement with the African Union and the United Nations on speedy resolution of the Western Sahara issue by Morocco, and to call for a referendum to determine the Sahara’s self determination,” Segabutla said. “The commission recommended that the ANC organise a study tour to Western Shaara to educate ANC cadres and the broader society about the plight of the people of Western Sahara. It further recommended that the ANC should call for the government to appoint a special envoy to Western Sahara.” On Sunday, the AU Executive Council reaffirmed, at the end of its 31st session held since Friday in the Ethiopian capital, its support to the Sahrawi cause by confirming the dispatch of an African mission for the evaluation of human rights to the occupied Sahrawi territories despite Morocco’s attempts to block a resolution in this regard. – Nampa/ANA Ugandan public servants warned against wearing ‘provocative’ clothing this is not acceptable,” Muwanga said. “We are mindful of the perception of the public to our officers. Do you feel okay when you have nails several meters long? It is not neat and healthy and we have to care about the health of public officers,” she added. Meanwhile, in more mundane, and less headline-grabbing news, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBS) reported that many families in rural areas of Uganda are unable to afford three meals a day. The majority of Ugandans are reported to be living on less than one dollar a day and this has forced some rural families to migrate to urban centres to beg for survival from middle income earners. The National Household Survey conducted last year by UBS, indicated that West Nile sub-region is the second poorest region with 48 per cent of the 2.5 million living in poverty after Karamoja, a region in north-eastern Uganda. – Nampa/ANA Hundreds of civilians killed in C. Africa war crimes Christians, who account for about 80 percent of the population, organised vigilante units dubbed “anti-balaka”, a reference to the machetes used by the rebels. The HRW evidence adds to a UN report issued on May 30 that covers crimes committed in the country from 2003 to 2015. In it, the United Nations documented “appalling” crimes by the army, armed groups and international forces. It put forward evidence of gang rape, sexual slavery, the torching of entire villages and possibly genocide. The SCC is a hybrid court embedded in the country’s legal system but incorporating national and international judges. Its prosecutor took the oath of office on June 30. The court itself is scheduled to become operational in October. – Nampa/AFP

Thursday, July 6 2017 | NEW ERA WORLD 17 With Alaska in NKorean range, few options for Trump WASHINGTON North Korea’s testfiring of a missile apparently capable of reaching Alaska underlines the shrinking options for US President Donald Trump to halt Pyongyang’s nuclear drive after losing faith in China’s mediation efforts. Shortly before his January inauguration as president, Trump said he would never let North Korea develop a nuclear weapon that would put parts of the United States in range, declaring on Twitter: “It won’t happen!” But after Washington confirmed that North Korea had successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), experts say Missing Venezuelan chopper pilot in grenade attack reappears CARACAS A Venezuelan helicopter pilot who vanished after dropping grenades on the Supreme Court in what the government slammed as an attempted coup reappeared in a video posted online late Tuesday. In the clip, Oscar Perez urged Venezuelans to “stand firm in the streets” in their protests against socialist President Nicolas Maduro. “The moment is now, not tomorrow. The moment to wake up is now,” the 36-year-old elite cop said, speaking in front of a Venezuelan flag. “Let’s stand firm in the streets.” On June 27 Perez and unidentified accomplices flew over Caracas in a police helicopter and dropped four grenades on the Supreme Court before opening fire on the interior ministry. There were no casualties. Perez appeared in a video released online around the time of the attacks flanked by four masked figures in black – two of them holding rifles – calling for an uprising. He claimed to belong to a group that included military members, police and public servants opposed to the “criminal government.” Maduro branded the action a “terrorist attack,” part of an “escalation” by right-wing “coup” plotters. He put the military on alert in response. A day later, Perez’s helicopter was found in the coastal town of Osma, 85 kilometers (52 miles) from Caracas. In Tuesday’s video, Perez said the attacks were carried out as planned. “We only damaged structures ... there was no collateral damage because that’s what was planned, because we’re not murderers... like you, Mr Maduro,” Perez says, pointing his index finger at the camera. Perez, who said he was back in Caracas, added that his group would join the protests. “We will go out in the streets and will be with you. You are not alone,” he said. The opposition Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) coalition has distanced itself from the attack. “The MUD demands democratic change only by peaceful means,” opposition lawmaker Juan Guaido said earlier. Many people, including opposition leaders, suspect that Perez might be a frontman hired by the government to justify its crackdown on the opponents. Maduro is under pressure after three months of unrest that officials say have left 91 people dead. – Nampa/AFP the US may have to accept that red line is close to being crossed if the missile system can be developed to carry a nuclear warhead. “The window for negotiating denuclearization is closed,” Jeffrey Lewis, an expert in nuclear nonproliferation, told AFP. “The big point is that we have to accept North Korea with a nuclear-armed ICBM.” In the immediate aftermath of the latest test, Trump again took to Twitter to berate the North’s leader Kim Jong-Un and press China to “put a heavy move on North Korea and end this nonsense once and for all!” But there are growing signs that Trump has already effectively given up on China’s capability of reining in Kim’s regime, declaring last month that Beijing’s efforts had not worked out. The Trump administration’s hardening stance was also illustrated last Thursday when it slapped sanctions on a Chinese bank linked to North Korea – drawing an angry response from Beijing. In a weekend phone call with China’s president, Trump reportedly told Xi Jinping that Washington was prepared to act on its own in pressuring North Korea, according to the New York Times. As well as leaning on China, Trump has also been seeing if he can work with South Korea’s new leader Moon Jae-In, inviting him to the White House last week. He has even tried to flatter Kim himself, calling him a “smart cookie” whom he would be “honoured” to meet – if only he would halt his missile programs. Adam Mount, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress for Nuclear and Defense policy, said international pressure Photo: Nampa/AFP Turning point… Students react while watching the news on the successful launch of the intercontinental ballistic missile “Hwasong-14” on a big screen near the Pyongyang Railway Station in Pyongyang on July 4, 2017. North Korea declared on July 4 it had successfully tested its first intercontinental ballistic missile – a watershed moment in its push to develop a nuclear weapon capable of hitting the mainland United States. and diplomacy was of limited use now that Pyongyang was so far down the line. “It is now illogical to apply pressure to prevent the threshold from being crossed. It has been crossed. Denuclearization is untenable,” said Mount. “US policy failed. The best we can hope for now is to sustainably deter, contain, constrain, and reform the regime over the long term.” In the short term, the Pentagon is studying its options for military action, though the United States and South Korea quickly made a show of force following the ICBM test, firing missiles off the coast of the Korean peninsula in what Washington called a display of “precision fire capability.” But US military chiefs have made clear they see enormous risks in a confrontation with the North. Speaking in May, US Secretary of Defense James PUBLIC INVITATION ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT FOR KAOKOLAND MINING EXPLORATION ACTIVITIES ON CLAIMS 67568-67575 IN OKAARUU, KUNENE REGION JSI Consultancy and Construction cc hereby give notice to all Interested and Affected Parties (I&APs) that an application will be submitted to the Environmental Commissioner in terms of the Environmental Management Act (No 7 of 2007) and the Environmental Regulations (2012) for the following: Project Name: Exploration activities in mining claims 67568-67575 Project Location: Okaaruu, Opuwo, Kunene Region Project Description/Nature: Exploration of Base and Rare metals in mining claims no. 67568-67575 Project Proponent: Kaokoland Mining Exploration cc Public meeting: Venue: Okaaruu Settlement Date: Tuesday, 18 July 2017 Time: 12:00 All Interested and Affected parties are hereby invited to register and submit all their comments, concerns and suggestions in writing or request the Background Information Document (BID) regarding the project to: Email: jsiconsultancy15@gmail.com on or before Friday 14 July 2017. Mattis said any war with North Korea would be on a scale similar to the devastating Korea conflict in the 1950s. “The North Korean regime has hundreds of artillery cannons and rocket launchers within range of one of the most densely populated cities on Earth, which is the capital of South Korea,” he told CBS News. “The bottom line is, it would be a catastrophic war if this turns into a combat, if we’re not able to resolve this situation through diplomatic means.” Trump’s National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster said in a speech last week that nothing had been ruled out but was blunt about the risks associated with any effort to impose a military solution. “The president has directed us to ... prepare a range of options, including military options, that nobody wants to take,” he said. Lewis, a researcher at the California-based Middlebury Institute for International Studies, said the Trump administration’s focus should now be on dissuading North Korea from firing anything in earnest. “We should consider ways to reduce tension while strengthening deterrence,” said Lewis. “Ballistic missile defense might be part of deterrence.” The US has already installed parts of a missile defense system – the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system – in South Korea to guard against threats from the North. But Moon has suspended further deployment following a furious campaign of economic sanctions and diplomatic protests by Beijing against the US missile shield, dealing a blow to Washington’s regional security policy. - Nampa/AFP PUBLIC INVITATION ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT FOR KAOKOLAND MINING EXPLORATION ACTIVITIES ON RUDOLPH W. VAN DER PLAS CLAIMS 69793-69801 WITHIN EPL 3817 IN PALMWAG, KUNENE REGION JSI Consultancy and Construction cc hereby give notice to all Interested and Affected Parties (I&APs) that an application will be submitted to the Environmental Commissioner in terms of the Environmental Management Act (No 7 of 2007) and the Environmental Regulations (2012) for the following: Project Name: Exploration activities in mining claims 69793-69801 within EPL 3817 Project Location: Palmwag, Khorixas District, Kunene Region Project Description/Nature: Exploration of Base and Rare metals in mining claims no. 69793-69801 within EPL 3817 Project Proponent: Rudolph W. van der Plas Public meeting: Venue: 40 km north of Palmwag, on C43 bend Date: Wednesday, 19 July 2017 Time: 12:00 All Interested and Affected parties are hereby invited to register and submit all their comments, concerns and suggestions in writing or request the Background Information Document (BID) regarding the project to: Email: jsiconsultancy15@gmail.com on or before Friday 14 July 2017.

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana