10 months ago

New Era Newspaper Thursday July 6 2017

  • Text
  • Windhoek
  • Namibia
  • African
  • Namibian
  • Walvis
  • Environmental
  • Provision
  • Kuna
  • Valombola
  • Materials


4 NEWS Thursday, July 6 2017 | NEW ERA Indebted Keetmanshoop residents face power cuts Matheus Hamutenya Keetmanshoop Mayor of Keetmanshoop Gaudentia Krohne says the municipality will have no choice but to cut off electricity supply to residents who are in arrears on municipal bills as part of its efforts to recover the N million owed by residents, so that it can also repay its debt to Nampower. The mayor said this while addressing a poorly attended public meeting at Westdene on Tuesday, informing residents the municipality was left with debt of N million by the previous electricity supplier, Southern Electricity Company (SELCo). She said N million of the debt is owed by residents and the municipality will do all it can to recover the funds and pay to Nampower what is due to them, even if it means cutting off basic services, such as electricity supply, to defaulting residents. Krohne pleaded with the residents to understand the municipality’s dire financial situation and to make payments, saying the municipality should not be blamed if it cuts off electricity supply to any of the residents in arrears. “Unfortunately, SELCo left us with this debt and we will cut off electricity if we have to, so that we can pay this [Nampower debt], and people should not blame us,” she said. The mayor said councillors understand they were elected to serve the people and provide quality services, but this should not be used as an excuse not to pay for services residents use. She warned that this time around the local councillors would not stand in the way of the administrators when they execute their duties in an attempt to recover monies owed. “We, as politicians, have decided not to stand in the way of our administrators, but we really do not want anyone to stay without water or electricity, so let us pay,” she said. The town’s first resident also took time to assure the residents that the municipality in partnership with ErongoRed had everything under control and that no blackout will occur. Keetmanshoop CEO Desmond Basson said the remainder of the N million debt would be recovered from SELCo through the available legal means. In the meantime the municipality has approached the Ministry of Mines and Energy for financial assistance of N.5 million for the next two months. Photo: Matheus Hamutenya Keeping the lights on… Keetmanshoop Mayor Gaudentia Krohne and Deputy Mayor Hilia Titus. Nuusita Ashipala Ongwediva The family of seven who were last week evicted from their home at Ondukutu village in Ondangwa said they now live in fear as at night there are cars frequenting the kindergarten where they are housed. Taarah Nangolo, his wife Anna Josef, and their five children have since their eviction from their three-bedroom house relocated to a community kindergarten adjacent to their old house. The family now lives in a crowded room with some of their belongings in one room, while the rest of their things are stored in a separate room. “We are living in fear because there are always cars coming here at night and sometimes lighting into the house and in the kindergarten where we now sleep. We are scared, because we do not know what they want,” lamented the wife. The family was evicted by the headman’s nephew, Luther Natangwe Iimbili. Nangolo said he had been living at the plot since 2000 when his namesake and then village headman Taarah Iimbili gave him the plot. He said he had been living with his namesake, until he asked Homeless… Taarah Nangolo and his family. Photo: Nuusita Ashipala Evicted family lives in fear to be given a place of his own. He said he left the plot vacant until he married in 2011 and only started constructing the house in 2015. He said the conflict between him and Iimbili started in 2013, when the headman died and has been ongoing until he was ordered to remove his belongings on June 29. “At one point they also came here and instructed me not to put up a fence and to only occupy an area six-feet from my house, to which I objected,” Nangolo said. In addition, he said the dispute had been heard by the traditional authority, and that he was declared subsequently the sole owner of the property, but he said his evictees went and challenged him at the High Court. He added that he was served with a summons from the High Court in December 2015 to remove his belongings, but he lost the case in 2016. On June 29, Nangolo was served with another court order asking him to remove his property and to pay the lawyers’ cost of N,594. Ondangwa Town Council in letters seen by New Era denied having authored any letters indicating that Iimbili was the registered owner of the plot in question. Vendor turns to shoe sales to provide for family Alvine Kapitako Windhoek Every day 34-year old Johannes Kashipunge makes sure he is on the dusty streets of Havana and nearby informal settlements to sell shoes, from which he derives a steady income. “I just sell in the location but I have one employee who sells shoes for me at a permanent structure in Soweto,” Kashipunge told New Era yesterday. This reporter spotted Kashipunge in Havana, where he was selling shoes - mainly sandals - that he sourced from Angola. Kashipunge said he started selling apples in Damara location when he first came to Windhoek in 2003. “But I didn’t make much profit and so I decided to try out something different,” he says. That is when the idea of selling shoes came to him about some seven years ago. “I buy my shoes in Angola and I sell them here,” he adds. Kashipunge says there are times that he does not make much profit, as some of his shoes are sold for between N and N0 a pair. “Having a business is not like having a job where you are guaranteed a paycheck at the end of the month. It’s tough, sometimes customers take my products and promise to pay at the end of the month and then they don’t pay. At times customers are just hard to come by,” he adds with a sigh. Kashipunge says he fathered 18 children. “The youngest one is two months old, while the oldest one was born in the year 2000,” he says. He further explained that although he is married, he has three other women that he sees. “They all know about each other,” he adds, saying all the women are based at Omafo in the Ohangwena Region. “In Windhoek I stay alone. I am just focusing on my work and getting an income. Each month I go home to take some money for my family.” Photo: Emmency Nuukala Johannes Kashipunge

Thursday, July 6 2017 | NEW ERA NEWS 5 urder accused isputes police testimony Nuusita Ashipala Oshakati Maurus Valombola, 59, who is on trial for murder has disputed testimonies of the police, his employee and witnesses, claiming the evidence brought before court was discussed beforehand. Valombola claims the evidence was discussed in advance so that it could correlate and ensure he is incriminated and his image tarnished. Valombola is on trial in the Oshakati High Court for the murder of 32-year-old Bernard Kalimbo whom he allegedly assaulted and struck with a car on February 6, 2013. During cross-examination by state advocate Lucious Matota, Valombola who is a village headman admitted his family had paid Kalimbo’s family N,000 for funeral expenses, in compensation. But he denied bumping or assaulting the deceased or being at the crime scene where Kalimbo’s sandal was found, arguing that the images before court do not correlate to the last meeting he had with Kalimbo. Valombola further denied the damage to the bull bar on the vehicle he was driving, as well as the leaves and tree branch found on the car, came from the night of the incident. According to Valombola the damage on the bull bar was from an earlier accident when he had bumped a donkey. “I cannot dispute that there were leaves found on my car because I drive through the bushes all the time when I go to my shops,” he said. Valombola disputed testimonies of the two people who went with him to the bar where he found Kalimbo and allegedly called him a ‘a big thief’. He argues the music in the bar was too loud for anyone to have heard anything. Valombola further told the court he was informed by his employee, a certain Teopolina, that Kalimbo was peeping to see where he was moving the money from the till. A scuffle then ensued when Kalimbo Maurus Valombola refused to leave a glass he was using in the bar, resulting in Valombola pushing Kalimbo. Valombola then took a pool stick and hit the deceased. Two witnesses testified the stick broke when Valombola hit Kalimbo. “Kalimbo then pulled out a silver-like object and that is when I pulled out my gun and shot between the two of us and the deceased fled the scene and started throwing stones,” said Valombola. However, testimonies heard in court revealed Valombola threatened to shoot Kalimbo when he pulled out his gun and shot in Kalimbo’s direction. The two are then said to have met at a different spot where Valombola stopped and the two again had a scuffle. “After I saw that he didn’t get in the car, I drove around to see where he was so I could take him to his mother and report the matter because I had also consumed alcohol,” narrated Valombola. Valombola admitted to not have reported the matter to the police and only reported himself on February 8, despite having been informed that the police were waiting for him at his place on February 7. Judge Herman Januarie presided. Valombola was represented by Pieter Greyling of Jan Greyling and Associates. The trial continues. Murder trial deferred as investigations not yet completed Maria Amakali Windhoek Several witness statements are still to be finalized in the case in which Victor Elia, 36, was detained in January in connection with the murder of his girlfriend and dumping her corpse along the road. State prosecutor Victor Thompson informed the court the investigations are still at an early stage and six instructions are pending for the investigations to be finalized. A post-mortem report, photo plan, MTC records, DNA application and mobile forensics have all been obtained already as part of the murder investigation. Although there are only six instructions left the State is still not in favour of Elia being released on bail. The KARIBIB The versatility of a helicopter in today’s modern world can be virtually unlimited – depending on the requirements of a client. Tsumeb-based Expedite Aviation last week Friday demonstrated how a helicopter can within minutes be converted from ferrying passengers to an insecticide crop-spraying aircraft, or to one that can be used to fight veld fires that are common during the dry season. Though the use of helicopters to fight veld fires could be new to Namibia, it has been used successfully for many years in countries like New Zealand and Canada to fight forest fires, said Gary Fox, helicopter pilot and instructor who gave Friday’s demonstration. The demonstration that was carried out in the presence of Directorate of Civil Aviation (DCA) officials went smoothly, but not before they carried out a close inspection and verification of the insecticide crop spraying tank and State’s objection to bail did not sit well with Elia who could not understand why he was being denied bail. Elia is of the view that in most cases the accused are granted bail. “We fear that he might interfere with the investigation and witnesses. It is not in the interest of justice nor the public to grant bail at this point,” explained Thompson. Elia faces a charge of murder read with the provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act 4 of 2004 for the murder of 25-year-old Iyaloo Ndapandula Hainghumbi whose corpse was found dumped along the B1 road to Okahandja on January 17. The prosecution is charging that Elia, who is a longdistance minibus driver to the north and the alleged boyfriend of three years to the deceased, was not happy that Hainghumbi wanted to end their relationship. During the bail proceedings it was revealed the deceased had made up her mind about ending their three-year romance. State witnesses who took the stand indicated Hainghimbi was last seen in the company of friends when she left to meet someone (suspected to be Elia). sprayer installed under the aircraft. Though the tank was designed for crop spraying, Fox said the utilities for the system are endless and could be ideal for spraying mosquitoes and other plagues like locusts and bollworms in Namibia’s most remote areas. “The helicopter is ideal for areas where it is too wet to go into the lands with any other vehicles,” Fox said. He explained that unlike a fixed wing aircraft that needs a runway, a helicopter can land on a farm and operate from there. This is a saving on flight time, costs and maintenance, Fox said. Factors like the weather and wind must also be considered, said Fox, to prevent pesticides being blown away or landing on neighbouring farms that have not asked for the service. Expedite Aviation pioneered this venture in Namibia as they believe it is fast and reliable, and also cost-effective due to helicopters’ versatility to literally Murder accused Victor Elia Elia who denies guilt has admitted to having met the deceased on January 13, but allegedly it was a brief meeting and what happened after that is unknown to him. The police found blood in Elia’s vehicle. The post-mortem report indicated that Hainghumbi died after being hit multiple times on the head with an unknown object. Elia is expected to make his next court appearance on September 20. Helicopters to help fight veld fires and spray crops land and take off from anywhere the service is needed. As to extinguishing or controlling veld fires, the helicopter uses a ‘bambi-bucket’ or ‘heli-bucket’. This device operates like a huge bucket hanging from underneath the chopper. Though the system looks simple to operate to an untrained eye, it needs an expert to install and operate. The bucket’s capacity ranges from 400 to 10,000 litres and is carried according to the helicopter’s lifting and operating capabilities. Though Namibia has limited water resources, the ‘bambi bucket’ can be filled at small dams on farms, swimming pools and even from water containers if there is a need to put out a veld fire to protect properties and lives. Firefighting and crop spraying teams operating with helicopters consist of a ground crew that transports various applications and provides backup service and maintenance once on site. - Nampa Judgment date set for babysitter charged with murder Maria Amakali Windhoek Judgment in the case in which a babysitter stands accused of murder after the baby in her care died is set to be heard this week following the conclusion of the trial in the Windhoek District Court. Magdalena Narib, 30, is on trial for murder in the death of one-year-old Hope Mbimuii Uhongora. Uhongora died as a result of a slash to his liver on February 22, 2015 while he was in the care of nanny Narib in Khomasdal, Windhoek. Based on the facts contained in the post-mortem report the fatal injury to baby Uhongora’s liver was caused by blunt force trauma, which also resulted in fractures to the ribcage cartilage. Naris who is out on bail of N,500 has denied guilt. She said she was not responsible for the injuries that caused the baby’s death. Narib’s defence lawyer Max Lameck, wants his client to be acquitted of the charge as none of the five witnesses who took the stand provided proof that Narib was directly involved in the death of the baby. “The State needed to establish a prima facie case but failed to prove its case as the evidence provided was of poor quality,” explained Lameck during his submissions. The State argues that the circumstantial evidence indicates Narib was the nanny, and the deceased together with two other children were placed in her care, and during that period baby Uhongora sustained injuries, which caused his death. Uhongora’s mother during her testimony informed the court she arrived home after a weekend away and found Uhongora asleep, wrapped in a blanket. She allegedly noticed he had difficulties breathing even though he had no signs of injury to his body. According to her, she gave the deceased Panado syrup. However, his condition deteriorated and they had to rush him to hospital. His heartbeat was weak and he seemed to be dying. Uhongora died immediately after they were referred to Katutura Intermediate Hospital from Windhoek Central Hospital.

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167