3 weeks ago

New Era Newspaper Thursday March 1, 2018

  • Text
  • Environmental
  • Windhoek
  • Mining
  • Namibia
  • Marine
  • February
  • African
  • Region
  • Regional
  • Economic


16 AFRICA Thursday, March 1 2018 | NEW ERA Woman killed by lion at S.A game lodge JoHannesBURG a 22-year-old woman was mauled to death by a lion on tuesday at a private game lodge close to south africa’s capital Pretoria, local media reported. the victim was attacked by the lioness near Hammanskraal, roughly 45 kilometres (30 miles) north of Pretoria around 0900 GMt, the local Rekord newspaper reported citing the emergency services. “When netcare 911 paramedics arrived at the scene, bystanders had initiated (resuscitation). tragically, the victim had sustained severe injuries and she died at the scene,” nick dollman, spokesman for the netcare 911 ambulance service, told the paper. dent on its twitter account. Police were investigating, dollman added. earlier this month a suspected poacher was mauled to death and eaten by a pack of lions close to south africa’s famed Kruger national Park. - Nampa/AFP Kabila agrees to UN chief’s request to visit DR Congo United Nations (UN) Secretary General Antonio Guterres addresses the Conference on Disarmament on February 26, 2018 at the UN building in Geneva. The United Nations secretary-general on February 26 demanded the immediate Syria as the Damascus regime continued its deadly bombardment of the rebel-held Eastern Ghouta. UN chief Antonio Guterres praised the adoption of a Security Council resolution on February 24 calling for the truce but underscored «Security Council resolutions are only meaningful if they are effectively implemented. Photo: nampa/aFP MINISTRY OF LABOUR, INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS AND EMPLOYMENT Notice SUBJECT: SUBMISSION OF !NVOICES SERVICES RENDERED: 2017/2018 FINCIAL YEAR Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations and Employment Creation hereby requests all its service providers of works, goods and services to submit in order to ensure timely processing of all payments due before the end of regard VILBARD USIKU ACTING PERMANENT SECRETARY United nations democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila has agreed to a request from Un secretary- General antonio Guterres to visit his country ahead of elections later this year, the Un spokesman said tuesday. Guterres wrote to Kabila to propose a joint visit with african Union chairman Moussa Faki Mahamat following a series of meetings he held on the sidelines of the aU summit in addis ababa in late January. there is growing international concern that the dR Congo could slide into all-out violence as it heads to elections on december 23. was sent and that a message came back that they would be welcome in Kinshasa at their earliest convenience,” Un spokesman stephane dujarric told aFP. no date has been set for the visit. the elections in the vast mineral-rich african country are expected to pave the way to a historic transfer of power. But Kabila, who took over from his father Laurent after he was assassinated in 2001, has not yet clearly stated whether he will step aside. anti-government protests have turned deadly over the past months, despite Un appeals to Kabila to rein in his security forces. two people were killed over the weekend in Kinshasa, including prominent opposition activist Rossy Mukendi, who was shot by security forces, according to witnesses. Fifteen people were killed Monday during clashes between a local militia and army troops in the troubled Kasai region, according to local government the violence has pitted Kinshasa authorities against the Catholic church, which has backed the demonstrations that have denounced Kabila’s government as corrupt. the United nations is also investigating the murder of two Un experts who were gathering information about mass graves in the Kasai region when they were killed in March 2017. there has been little progress in identifying the murderers of american Michael sharp and swede Zaida Catalan. a separate investigation is under way on the attack that killed 15 Un peacekeepers and wounded 43 others in december in north Kivu. the dR Congo also hosts the Un’s biggest peacekeeping mission, MonUsCo, with some 17,500 troops and police. - Nampa/AFP HELAO NAFIDI TOWN COUNCIL PROCUREMENT MANAGEMENT UNIT OPEN NATIONAL BID INVITATION Procurement Ref No: Description: NCS/ONB/HNTC-16/2018 Levy: Bids Documents: 15 dead in fresh violence in dR Congo’s troubled Kasai: local KananGa Fifteen people have been killed in a resurgence of violence in dR Congo’s troubled Kasai region blamed on a suspected militia, a local leader said tuesday. “Kamwina nsapu militiamen arrived in the administrative centre of Lombelu (on Monday) and made a surprise attack on an army combat patrol,” andre Kapiola, Lombelu sector chief in Kasai Central, told aFP. “We have collected the bodies of 14 militiamen,” Kapiola said, adding that one soldier was also killed. However several Lombelu residents told aFP that about half of those killed in the attack would have been “ordinary citizens”. Violence in the vast Kasai region first erupted after a tribal chieftain known as the Kamwina nsapu, who rebelled against the regime of President Joseph Kabila, was killed in august 2016. Kapiola said the situation was “under control” but that the population of the village, which is 80 kilometres (50 miles) from the major regional the bush. “Many militiamen are scattered through the diamond told aFP, adding that the miners feared for their safety. a local military source also blamed the Kamwina nsapu militia for the attack, saying the group are “trying to reorganise” and “trying to steal weapons”. Joachim Likaka, administrator of the territory of demba, said reinforcements had been sent to the area to counter any new attacks. Kamwina nsapu militia forces were suspected of killing nine people, as well as burning down a village hospital and some houses, on January 30. the guerilla movement has been leading a bloody rebellion against moves by Kabila to extend his stay in power. Violence in the diamondrich Kasai region involving militias, the army and police has claimed more than 3,000 lives since september 2016, while the United nations says 1.4 million people have been displaced. - Nampa/AFP

Thursday, March 1 2018 | NEW ERA WORLD 17 Rebels breach Syrian humanitarian truce Douma Russian Foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday that rebels in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta were responsible for ensuring that a «humanitarian pause» in the area delivers relief for devastated civilians. Russia together with the Syrian government have already announced the establishment of humanitarian corridors in Eastern Ghouta,», Lavrov, according to aFP, told the united Nations Human Rights Council. Now, it is the turn for the militants and their sponsors to act, militants entrenched there who still continue shelling Damascus, blocking aid deliveries and the evacuation of those wishing to leave», he added. a humanitarian pause was announced following Russian diplomatic efforts in a bid to stem the bloodshed in Syria’s rebel-held enclave of Eastern Ghouta. Russia’s defence ministry also accused armed groups in Eastern Ghouta of shelling the had «continued attacking the positions of the government forces» and «went on the offensive in other directions too.» Syrian state news agency SaNa said a former al-Qaeda was blocking civilians «to use them as human shields.» Some residents left the basements they had been cowering in for days to check on their property and buy food. an aFP correspondent in the main town of Douma reported only sporadic rocket The daily pause initiated by the Russian foreign minister was due to last until 2:00 pm Efforts by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov have led to the creation of de-escalation zones and a humanitarian truce in Syria. (1200 GmT). The uN Security Council last Friday adopted a draft resolution presented by Kuwait and Sweden to establish a 30-day humanitarian truce in Syria which would allow desperately needed deliveries of emergency supplies and medical evacuations. moscow said the measure was meant to create a window for some of the estimated 400,000 people living in the area to evacuate, using safe passages. The Russian diplomatic efforts are despite the condemnation of the u.S policy in the middle East by the majority of arabian newspapers that have noted with concern american support to Kurdish militias that ankara considers as terrorists. Washington under the guise of its campaign against terrorism continues to deliver weapons that are being used against Russia and Turkey in the volatile region. In a recent edition in al-Qabas in Kuwaiti an observer noted moscow requires the support of ankara on a peaceful settlement whether through negotiations in astana or in Geneva. america has been supporting Kurdish self-defense (YPG) and the general consensus is that america should reduce its support to YPG so that it complies with the Russian initiated peace initiative. Turkey, according to Reuters, recently urged the united States to halt its support for Kurdish Turkish forces on the ground in Syria, ankara’s strongest comments yet about a potential clash with its NaTo ally. al-Qabas quoted a regional observer as saying, “When the issue concerns the needs to preserve Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, we cannot but observe with concern attempts to disintegrate Syria. Such concerns arise after studying the plans which the u.S is in the east of the Euphrates, on the vast territories between this river and Syria’s borders with Iraq and Turkey.” Despite the fact the Islamic group ISIS has been defeated the uSa still wants to control the eastern part of Syria. america still supports the Syrian Kurdish Democratic union Party (PYD) the militant Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), according to the regional observer. america gives support to the Workers’ Party of Kurdistan in its quest to create a “second Israel,” which will represent its interests in the middle East. The success of the Syrian diplomatic settlement will depend on how the uS will give up its attempts to divide Syria, said the observer who added, “it would be better if they stopped played dangerous games, which could lead to the disintegration of Syria.” more and more people in the world now clearly understand the main principle of the Russian policy in the region is to respect the sovereignty and borders of Syria and Iraq. Russia still tion of Kurdish representatives that participated in the Sochi Conference on the Syrian National Dialogue Congress which should become an integral part of the Syrian settlement. – Al Jazeera afghan president unveils plan for peace talks with Taliban KabuL afghan President ashraf Ghani on Wednesday unveiled a plan to open peace talks with the Taliban, including eventually recognising them as a political party, days after the militants called for direct negotiations with the uS. Civilian casualties have soared in recent months as the Taliban increasingly targets towns and cities in response to a new and more aggressive uS military policy ordered by President Donald Trump. Ghani disclosed the framework at a regional conference in Kabul on bringing peace to his country. He called for a truce, after which the Taliban could become a political party and contest elections. be held, the Taliban should be recognised as a political party and trust-building process should be initiated,” said Ghani, in remarks similar to past offers. “Now the decision is in your hands, accept peace... and let’s bring stability to this country,” he added. In return, Ghani said the militants ognise the afghan government and the constitution, a perennial sticking point in past attempts to open talks. on monday the Taliban said it was prepared to enter direct talks with the uS to tion” to more than 16 years of war. Its statement however made no mention of negotiating with the afghan government -- a condition which the uS has long stated was vital to any peace process. Pakistani journalist and Taliban expert Rahimullah Yusufzai said the insurgents’ leadership remained committed to the uS-only position, but others in the movement were less dogmatic about talking with Kabul. “There are some people among the Taliban who believe that they will have to negotiate with the afghan government,” said Yusufzai. He added that the militants have suffered heavy casualties under the new uS strategy of increased airstrikes and commando raids. Despite the losses, Yusufzai said the group would continue the insurgency. “They derive their power from their ability to Kabul is hosting the second round of the peace conference at which representatives from 25 countries will discuss counter- resolution strategies. uS officials have described the current situation in the war as a stalemate. PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT Africa Planning Forum cc (APF) hereby give notice to all potentially Interested and Affected Parties (I&APs) that an application will be made to the Environmental Commissioner in terms of the Environmental Management Act (No 7 of 2007) and the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations (GN 30 of 6 February 2012) for the following: PROJECT NAME: Township Establishment of Outapi Extensions 20 and 21, Outapi, Omusati Region. PROJECT LOCATION: Outapi, Omusati Region PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The proposed project entails the Township Establishment of Outapi Extensions 20 and 21, Outapi, Omusati Region. Outapi Extension 20 is to be established on Erf 3339, Outapi Extension 6 and Outapi Extension 21 is to be established on Portion A of the Remainder of the Farm Outapi No 1116. The proposed development is to allow for the establishment of a higher density residential area consisting of approximately 189 erven in total. The proposed townships are to consist of Residential, General Residential and Public Open Space zoned erven. Streets are also to be created within the layout of both extensions. The proposed extensions are located within the Townlands Boundary of Outapi Town. The area has been largely influenced by human activity and urban development. The project further entails the creation of street and installation of the necessary bulk services needed for the township in terms of water, electricity and sewage. PROJECT INVOLVEMENT: The Proponent: Auas Properties Number Five CC Environmental Assessment Practitioner (EAP): Africa Planning Forum cc (APF) Public meeting Date: 8 March 2018 Time: 17H00 Venue: Outapi Town Lodge, Main Road, Outapi REGISTRATION OF I&APs AND SUBMISSION OF COMMENTS: In line with Namibia’s Environmental Management Act (No. 7 of 2007) and EIA regulations (GN 30 of 6 February 2012), all I&APs are hereby invited to register and submit their comments, concerns or questions in writing via Email: ; Fax: 061 271 228 or Tel: 061 271 220 on or before 19 March 2018. NOTICE FOR PUBLIC MEETING ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT Africa Planning Forum cc (APF) hereby give notice to all potentially Interested and Affected Parties (I&APs) that an application will be made to the Environmental Commissioner in terms of the Environmental Management Act (No 7 of 2007) and the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations (GN 30 of 6 February 2012) for the following: PROJECT NAME: Construction of a Service Station in Oshifo, Ruacana, Omusati Region. PROJECT LOCATION: Oshifo, Ruacana, Omusati Region PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The project involves the construction and operation of a service station to be located in Oshifo, Ruacana, Omusati Region, along the C35 National Road. The proposed site is measured to be approximately 18000m in extent. The project will further comprise of the following activities: The construction of oil, water, gas and petrochemical and other bulk supply pipelines. The storage and handling of dangerous goods, including petrol, diesel, liquid petroleum gas or paraffin, in containers with a combined capacity of more than 30 cubic meters at any one location. PROJECT INVOLVEMENT: The Proponent: Oshifo Service Station CC Environmental Assessment Practitioner (EAP): Africa Planning Forum cc (APF) Public Meeting Date: 9 March 2018 Venue: Ruacana Community Hall Time: 14H00 REGISTRATION OF I&APs AND SUBMISSION OF COMMENTS: In line with Namibia’s Environmental Management Act (No. 7 of 2007) and EIA regulations (GN 30 of 6 February 2012), all I&APs are hereby invited to register and submit their comments, concerns or questions in writing via Email: ; Fax: 061 271 228 or Tel: 061 271 220 on or before 19 March 2018. NOTICE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (EIA) PROPOSED SAND MINING (CALCRETE), ZAMBEZI REGION & INVITATION TO A PUBLIC MEETING Project Name: Proponent: Project Location: Public Meeting Date: Venue: Time: Deadline to submit comments:

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167