3 weeks ago

New Era Newspaper Thursday March 1, 2018

  • Text
  • Environmental
  • Windhoek
  • Mining
  • Namibia
  • Marine
  • February
  • African
  • Region
  • Regional
  • Economic


2 NEWS Thursday, March 1 2018 | NEW ERA AGRIBANK From page 1 Agribank embarked on a debt collection campaign last year with the aim of recovering money owed to it by the farmers. Agribank has since hired Red Force Debt Management and United Africa Group (UAG) to collect outstanding arrears. New Era understands that if no solution is found, hundreds of black commercial farmers could lose their farms. Farmers who spoke to New Era want Agribank to discard hired debt collectors and deal with the farmers directly. This is because the bank is allegedly making deductions from their accounts to pay the debt collectors for their work, a situation that plunges them into further debt. Speaking to New Era yesterday, farmer and former permanent secretary in the Ministry of Mines and Energy, Kahijoro Kahuure, said they have individually and collectively tried their best to engage Agribank to see if options are available to sustain farmers’ operations so that they can earn enough money to service their loans. “It seems over the last two years that the bank’s attitude has changed “We applaud government for its foresightedness. The scheme ideally was to assist above- average farmers in the communal areas to acquire commercial land, but it is not the He said due to recurring droughts across the country, farmers have challenges and therefore were obligations towards the bank. However, in a statement last week, Agribank Chief Executive “I see clients who come in to discuss their repayment “Customers are coming in daily and we do not see why some customers would want to refuse to he said, adding “if a customer does not come, how do you make an arrangement with him? This is the He said the bank has heard claims that they are insensitive to customers’ situations. “This is far from the truth. There is no single customer who has responded to our call to make repayment arrangements that we have turned away or not listened He said those making such claims know they are exaggerating. “We do not know their reasons for exaggerating because they have not responded to our call. We have made this call directly and in writing to the ‘concerned’ farmers as well he said. Nghikembua says they have also heard claims that there is a directive from President Geingob and Minister Schlettwein to Agribank to stop the collections. contradiction that there is no such “What we do know is that there is absolute support from the shareholder for the bank to collect the arrears and for the approach adopted by the bank that customers must individually approach the bank to make their repayment He said the bank’s objective is not to repossess any farms but to agree with customers how they can best make repayment arrangements with Agribank. “Customers are in arrears for a variety of reasons. It is therefore important that they approach us as individuals so that we can sit down he said. making progress with the arrear collections initiative. We have been consistently clear, and will use this opportunity again to make the call, that we would like our customers who are in arrears to make repayment arrangements with the bank – by either doing so with the debt collectors or directly with the SME BANK From page 1 the proper and effective winding up of the SME Bank. Further, the Deputy Judge President granted them the authority to effect payment of deposits less than N,000 to depositors. The SME Bank was placed under liquidation by Acting High Court Judge Hannelie Prinsloo last year after the Bank of Namibia requested the High Court for such an order. The Zimbabwe shareholders, who held a 35 percent stake in the now defunct bank, appealed the liquidation order in the Supreme Court. Metropolitan Bank of Zimbabwe, which owns 30 percent shares, and World Eagle Properties, which own Court to rescind and set aside the orders of Judge Angula. The respondents in the matter are Bruni, McLaren, the Namibian Financing Trust that own the remaining 65 percent on behalf of the Namibian government, the Master of the High Court, the government, the Minister of Industrialisation, Trade and SME Development, the Minister of Finance and the Bank of Namibia. Bruni and McLaren indicated they will oppose the application through their lawyer Francois Erasmus. In an affidavit by Enock Kamushinda, representing the minority shareholders, he claims that the matter should be heard as urgent, as according to advice, the matter will only be heard in the ordinary course in about ten months or more. He said this will not address their plight as the liquidators may have paid the deposits by the time the case would be heard in the ordinary course which would cause irreparable harm to them should the appeal in the Supreme Court succeed. MBUMBA From page 1 Unam has previously stated that its appointment of chancellors was in line with other universities in Commonwealth countries, which have all elected to reserve the chancellorship for political leaders, prominent religious leaders and monarchs. According to the Unam Act of 1992, the chancellor of the university shall be the titular head of the university and shall be elected by the Council in the prescribed manner. Equally, it states the chancellor shall have the right to confer or grant other awards and distinctions of the university and to perform such other functions as may be prescribed. for a period of six years and shall be eligible for re-election at the Upon the death or resignation of the chancellor, the Council shall as soon as possible elect a new chancellor. Outgoing Unam Vice-Chancellor Lazarus Hangula earlier said Pohamba played a very important role in the growth of Unam, a relatively young university compared to others in the region. Hangula is himself set to retire in July. He has served the university for 25 years in various academic roles since he joined through the National Institute for Social and Economic Research (NISER) in February 1993 establishment. Hangula has been the vicechancellor of the university since 2004. He replaced Professor Peter Katjavivi, the current Speaker of the National Assembly. Ramaphosa expected in Windhoek on Friday WINDHOEK South African President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to meet with President Hage Geingob in Windhoek on Friday. the South African president’s acting spokesperson, Tyrone Seale, in a telephonic interview with Nampa yesterday. Seale said the two presidents would have a consultative meeting, which is expected to last a few hours. Ramaphosa will be accompanied by South Africa’s Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Lindiwe Sisulu, and Defence and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula. Ramaphosa was sworn in as on 15 February, a day after Jacob Zuma was forced to resign by the ruling African National Congress (ANC) party. - Nampa Our Contact details and information Product of New Era Tel: +264 61 - 208 0802 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 Cell: +264 81 156 4114 Tel: +264 66 - 256 298 Cell +264 81 217 1888 Tel: +264 65 - 238 990 Cell: +264 81 144 0646 Cell: +264 81 217 9739 Cell: +264 81 204 8078 Tel: +264 63 - 222 057 Cell: +264 81 312 5975 Tel/Fax: +264 63 - 204 180/2 Cell: +264 81 245 9714 Tel: +264 61 - 208 0826 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 Tel: +264 61 - 208 0822 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 Blitz visit… South African President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected in Windhoek tomorrow. ACC From page 1 Kanyamo made this revelation when she addressed a one-day local authority councillors’ informationsharing session in Swakopmund yesterday. She added that linking people, including local authority leaders, to such deals is a headache for the ACC as they often remain anonymous and facilitate such deals without declaring their interests while raking in thousands from such deals. “We are currently exploring our options as to how we can identify such type of corruption and will soon come up with a workable solution as corrupt practices in the region, she explained that 21 cases, representing 25 percent of all cases currently being investigated in Erongo Region, involve local authorities. These cases are being investigated since 2012, of which six are from from Henties Bay Municipality, four from Omaruru, while Karibib, Usakos and Swakopmund each has two cases. Arandis is the only town currently not being investigated by the ACC. “These cases mostly deal with procurement, tender allocations, recruitment and abuse of subsistence

Thursday, March 1 2018| NEW ERA NEWS 3 Squatters ordered to vacate municipal land Maria Amakali Windhoek Ten home owners who have illegally occupied municipal land in Otjomuise were ordered by the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court to vacate the property following an application by the City of Windhoek. The squatters occupy a portion of 277 (a portion of Portion B) of farm Windhoek Town and Townlands No. 31, in particular Erf 3156 and Erf 3161, Otjomuise. In their defence, they said they are poor, landless people who were previously promised land by the City of Windhoek. Handing down the judgement in the magistrate’s court in Katutura, Magistrate Alice Gawanas noted that poverty and landlessness do not give them the right to take the law into their own hands. “I do not believe that poverty and landlessness can be used to justify or to pressurise a local authority to provide land, nor are these reasons to break the law,” said Gawanas. Gawanas ruled in favour of the City of Windhoek whose application argued on various grounds that the occupants have illegally occupied the land and put up structures in dangerous circumstances. The City further said the illegal occupation by the occupants places immense pressure on it in terms of land allocation and obstructs its planned development. It further argued the structures of the occupants have been constructed on unserviced land with no access to roads, while some structures are under high voltage power lines and in riverbeds, which could pose a danger to the squatters. It said all these are in contravention of the Windhoek Municipality Building Regulations. On the other hand, the respondents claimed they have been occupying the land since 2015. They believed should the City demand they vacate the land it should provide them with an alternative place or emergency camp. “The laws governing local authorities serve a crucial purpose of planned and orderly urban development and they must be obeyed by everyone,” noted Gawanas. Lawyer Mbushandje Ntinda represented the 10 home owners with Helmut Stolze representing the City of Windhoek. Photo: Emmency Nuukala Legally evicted… The squatters who have been ordered by the court to vacate the land belonging to the City of Windhoek. NSFAF recovers a mere N.8 million of student debts Albertina Nakale Windhoek Students Financial Assistance Fund (NSFAF) received government subsidies of over N.1 billion but only recovered N.84 million in loans it allocated to students. Slightly more than 91 percent of funding was spent on extending loans and scholarships to eligible students, while the remainder was directed towards the capital and administrative costs of running the institution. This information is contained in the fund’s annual report tabled by higher education minister Dr Itah Kandjii-Murangi in the National Assembly on Tuesday. The annual report was audited by external auditors PricewaterhouseCoopers. The auditors found that management could not provide them with a complete list of all loans and commitments taken over when it was under the education ministry. As a result, the auditors were unable to satisfy themselves over the completeness of these loans, recoveries and related commitments. They say student loans showed N.38 billion as at March 31, 2016 and student funding expenses amounted to N3 million. “Management could not provide us with the total value of commitments relating to these loans and grants as at 31 March 2016 due to the fact that the student loan database is not completed yet. Consequently, we could not satisfy ourselves as to the completeness of disclosures related to loan balances,” the auditors revealed. Auditors said NSFAF is in the process of establishing a student loan database and hence the student loan balance due by each student is According to NSFAF’s chief executive for vocational, undergraduate and postgraduate year, indicating a 5.5 percent increase from the number of awards made the previous year. amounts to a total spending of N4 million the fund revealed that 70 percent of funding was made up of loans, while the 30 percent is for scholarships. Equally, the fund received about 20,000 undergraduate applications whereby a huge chunk of N9.8 million was spent on undergraduate studies. During the period, NSFAF awarded loans and scholarships to 11,595 students in addition to the 218 postgraduate students and 171 assisted for internship purposes. “The fund has made notable achievements in NSFAF constantly monitors three key indicators, namely accessibility, contribution to national human capital development and regional equity. In terms of accessibility, the increase in the number of awards disbursed is an important achievement,” she said. Furthermore, she stated NSFAF has increased study highlighted in Vision 2030 and the Fourth National Development Plan (NDP4), as well as in-board approved priority areas. Collectively, these include the areas of tourism, agriculture, manufacturing, education and science and technology. She said the large increases in the number of students awarded funds in the areas of medicine and related sciences, education, communication and conservation and tourism, are important indicators of the fund’s commitment to respond to the national skills needed. Strangled girl’s body found in bushes at Rundu John Muyamba Rundu A naked, half decomposed body of a teenager, believed to be about 13 to 14 years of age, was discovered behind the on Wednesday morning. The deceased is believed to have been raped, killed and dumped in the bushes. Police received a report at 09h25 about the body that was found and the police forensic services rushed to the scene. “I was called by a community in front of the MICT (Ministry of Information and Communication Technology) building and when I arrived there he took us to the scene. By the look of things the body might have been dumped there on Monday requested anonymity as they are not allowed to speak to the media. “When I saw the body, I suspected foul play and I called my colleagues to come to the scene. It’s a young girl approximately 13 or 14 years old and when you look at her private parts it looks as if she was raped, and suffocated with a wire that we found on her neck. She was also tied on the left arm with the same wire, and she Police found her lying face down “We will wait and see if anyone comes to identify her – if anyone is missing a family member please come body,” said the Kavango East Head of the Police Forensic Sub-Division, Police say that while observing the scene they noticed that the grass looked untouched, suspecting that the rape and murder happened somewhere else and the body just dumped there as there were no struggle marks at the scene. “In this case we need the community’s assistance, especially with identifying the body, because once we know the identity we can track the case and our investigations can get direction. No case of a missing girl was reported,” said Kavango East Crime Investigations Coordinator, Deputy Commissioner Bonifatius Kanyetu “People, especially women and young girls, should be careful. We just don’t know how to protect them when we tell them to stay home at night, or away from the nightlife, and they say it’s their right. It is hard for us to protect them from this danger,” he said. Last year, two decomposed discovered in separate incidents that were more than two kilometres apart. south of the Trans-Caprivi Highway on March 14, and the second was discovered on March 26 next to the Cuma gravel road near the same highway. Those two corpses are still in the Rundu Intermediate Hospital Mortuary no arrest has been made, which makes Rundu residents jittery. NAMCOL VACANCIES Do you want to become part of the dynamic NAMCOL Team? Apply for the following vacancies: Windhoek, Head Office Post: Post: HEAD: TECHNICAL, VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING (TVET) STUDENT WELFARE COORDINATOR DUE DATE: 13 MARCH 2018 No fax or emailed applications will be accepted For detailed information on the vacancies, please visit our website: Website: | Find us on

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167