Views
2 months ago

New Era Newspaper Thursday November 30, 2017

  • Text
  • November
  • Windhoek
  • Documents
  • Valid
  • Namibia
  • Mandatory
  • Xtreme
  • Tender
  • African
  • Triton

2 NEWS

2 NEWS Thursday, November 30 2017 | NEW ERA Product of New Era cinambao@nepc.com.na newsroom@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 61 - 2 Fax: +264 61 - 235 419 Tel: +264 66 - 253 049 Cell: +264 81 488 6594 / +264 81 124 2895 Tel: +264 66 - 256 298 Cell +264 81 217 1888 jmuyamba@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 65 - 238 990 Fax: +264 65 - 231 305 north@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 67 - 221 652 Cell: +264 81 456 8643 osimasiku@nepc.com.na Cell: +264 81 217 9739 Cell: +264 81 204 8078 edeklerk@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 63 - 222 057 Cell: +264 81 312 5975 mhamutenya@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 63 - 204 180 Cell: +264 81 245 9714 tabraham@iway.na eapollus@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 61 - Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 fgoseb@nepc.com.na sales@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 61 - Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 “This improvement is due to the increase in international bandwidth which recorded at 34,5 kilobytes per second,” he noted. He added that the ICT sector is expected to contribute significantly to the development and achievement of the knowledge-based-society as aspired in Vision 2030. “The focus of the sector in the National Development Plans is the Staff Reporter Windhoek MICT From page 1 The surgeons are Dr MKS Kamble, Dr B Mangundah, Dr M. Rohr, Dr F. Quayson and Dr E. Nande. The doctors did not share their letter with New Era. “The shortages have resulted in increasing morbidity, repeated procedures for sepsis either intraabdominal or anterior abdominal wall and cross infections,” the doctors said The doctors have also observed an increase in antibiotic use and resistance, while theatre waiting lists are getting longer. The increase in illness and death has demoralised the surgeons, they revealed in a telling two-paged letter. “We are risking our professional resigned and no reason was given,” Simataa said. Simataa could not say when Hungamo’s last working day was, but New Era understands this was The Namibian recently reported Hungamo’s lawyer Stephen had been found not guilty on all charges relating to the storage facility planned for Walvis Bay. “Government could not put up enough evidence to support the charges against him. Most of the evidence by the government was in support of my client,” Vlieghe was quoted as saying. Hungamo, the Ministry of Finance development of ICT infrastructure and increasing affordable access to it. “It is no doubt that access to the latest technologies will promote business efficiency and give targeted industries [a] competitive advantage.” The minister also launched the MICT’s Strategic Plan for 2017 to 2022 at the same event. With this new plan, the ministry decided to shift gears, adopting a view of achieving new results by doing things differently. credibility in providing care for our patients. At the same time we feel the credibility of our ministry that we uphold and defend despite public media and litigation threats is at stake,” said the surgeons. They asked the minister to attend to the situation with emergency. “Your directors may inform you [about] a situation different from what we experience. Please trust our communique,” said the surgeons. They also stressed that the current situation is negatively affecting the lives of patients. “Timely intervention will save the ministry huge sums of money by better outcomes, early discharges, fewer complications and shorter waiting lists,” they said. They also said that under the present conditions, it is prudent to stop all elective work and embark “It is for this reason that as an ICT ministry, we decided to work towards an ICT-smart Namibia; create a knowledge-based society; promote Namibia as a preferred film destination; strive to keep Namibia an informed nation and facilitate high ICT coverage,” Tweya stressed. Tweya added that the ministry’s vision is to be a catalyst for an informed and inclusive ICT-smart Namibia, through its mission which is to create an enabling environment for socio-economic growth. - Nampa Robbers break into house for third time Three men were arrested after they allegedly stole some belongings from a house in Windhoek West yesterday afternoon. The house occupants who rushed to the scene told the media it was the third time the suspects broke into their property this year. The suspects stole bedding, clothes SURGEONS From page 1 HUNGAMO From page 1 and small electronics from the house. The house is occupied by Ferodrill employees, who were all at work during the break-in. City Police spokesperson Edmund Khoaseb urged home owners and occupants to leave someone at home or ask someone to keep an eye on their property while away. Khoaseb added that since most of these robbers are armed, if occupants are at home they should keep their doors and gates locked as it will attacked. City Police senior superintended Gerry Shikesho added that housebreaking will go up this season as the criminals go shopping for Christmas but the irony is that they don’t go buy but instead break into houses to steal and sell items to make money for the festive season, albeit in an illicit manner. on an emergency stocktaking and procurement of all consumables and only then surgical work may commence. The theatre will no longer be operational after this Friday, the doctors added, in order to allow for all corrections to be made. “We are approaching the holiday season. And this situation should be considered as a critical emergency for it will deteriorate to life-threatening conditions,” said the doctors. The situation of medical shortage has persisted at public health facilities, and it is often linked to which affects the procurement of medical equipment and medicine. Efforts to acquire Haufiku’s comment yesterday proved futile. Permanent Secretary Ericah Shafudah as well as the chief legal adviser Nghaamwa, were held liable for allegedly having allowed government to fork out N,8 billion above the initial project cost to construct the fuel storage facility. Hungamo was said to have played a role in awarding the tender to a company that will see the state attending to a higher bill than what was budgeted. The tender for the construction of the bulk fuel storage depot underway at Wavis Bay was given to CRB, a joint venture of China Harbour Engineering, the now-defunct Roads Contractor Company (RCC) and Babyface Civils in 2013. Initially, government had budgeted N,699 billion for the project but the cost has since ballooned to N,4 billion because the bid was quoted in US dollars contrary to an express order that whoever wins the tender should quote in Namibia dollars. Hungamo chaired the technical committee. Shafudah was also charged in connection with that issue and issued written warning’ letter she received from Simataa had no basis in law as she was not given a chance to be heard as is procedure under the country’s laws. She also strongly rejected the picture being painted of her as an incompetent and negligent person. In September, Nghaamwa was also found not guilty, after he had been charged with negligence, failure to protect the state and to act in the interest of government. KILLER From page 1 Somaeb already pleaded guilty at the start of his trial to the killing of Charlotte Gaingos on July 31 the same year, days after he was released on bail on the murder charge relating to the boy. He denied killing the boy. The judge however found that he was the only one who could have killed the boy as the autopsy report indicated the boy died as a result of asphyxia, due to suffocation and he was alone with the boy at the time of the boy’s death. According to Judge Shivute, the crimes committed are heinous in time offender, he committed the crimes against the most vulnerable members of society, a woman and a child. member by suffocating him. As if that was not enough, he went to kill Charlotte, who was still grieving over the death of her son. Charlotte was stabbed with a knife 21 times. The stab wounds were located on the head (4), three on the face, four on the left lower extremity,” the judge said. She went on to say that Charlotte died as a result of hypovolemic shock, due to the stab wounds in the chest, and Remember was suffocated by Somaeb in whose custody he was left by his mother. According to the judge, there was evidence that the relationship between Charlotte and Somaeb was an abusive one, with Somaeb the abuser, and a young and innocent life was lost because of the unhappy relationship with the child’s mother. “The accused planned these two murders. Charlotte was subjected to a cruel and merciless attack, this is evident from the injuries she suffered,” Judge Shivute stated. With regard to the sentence, the judge said although the fact that Somaeb has spent almost four years trial-awaiting, which is in his favour, she is aware of the alarming increase in domestic violence cases involving women and children as victims, which is an aggravating factor. Another aggravating factor, the judge said, is the fact that Somaeb was on bail and breached the conditions of his bail. “This is an indication that the accused has no respect for the law and human life. Under normal circumstances it would be a mitigating factor if an accused pleads guilty. However, the accused in this matter never took the the witness box and testify in order to how remorseful he is. The accused only pleaded guilty because there was overwhelming evidence against him and he had no other option,” Judge Shivute remarked. She went on to say that Somaeb’s actions by killing the deceased persons with whom he had a domestic relationship are an aggravating factor. It is even more aggravating because his victims were vulnerable people in the community, she said. According to the judge, Somaeb is a danger to society and must be removed from society thus she sentenced him to two life imprisonment terms as well as six months on each of the counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and defeating the course of justice.

Thursday, November 30 2017 | NEW ERA NEWS 3 WEATHERMEN & CO Life sentence for Keetmanshoop murderer Roland Routh Windhoek ‘’Bearing in mind the accused’s violent history and his complete disregard or lack of respect for the lives of others, I have come to the conclusion that the imposition of life imprisonment, in the present circumstances, is appropriate,” High Court Judge Christi Liebenberg said when he sent Keetmanshoop resident, Andrew Britz, 59, to prison for the rest of his life. Judge Liebenberg convicted Britz on a charge of murder read with the provisions of the Domestic Violence Act, on November 17, for the stabbing to death of Juliana Sarvanda Garises, 44, for daring to leave him for another man. According to testimony heard during the trial, Britz told Garises before he stabbed her that if he could not have her, he would see to it that nobody else would. This was when she told him she did not love him anymore and wanted to get back with her former boyfriend. Britz has a spate of prior convictions stretching over a period of 22 years, ranging from murder to attempted murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, assault, malicious damage to property and crimen injuria. According to Judge Liebenberg, the accused did not learn from his previous mistakes and periods of incarceration. “In my view, the accused’s criminal record, already from a youthful age up to the incident that brought him before this court, paints a picture of the type of person the court is dealing with. First and foremost, it shows that the accused has a tendency to commit violent crimes and readily resorts to the use of a deadly weapon (knife) to exert himself on others,” the judge said, and continued: “Besides convictions of attempting to cause serious bodily harm, or murder some of his victims, he succeeded on two occasions. That the accused has little respect for the sanctity of human life is evident from past behaviour. It further shows that the accused, despite having already served a lengthy custodial sentence, was not deterred by his earlier experience, as he thereafter twice made himself guilty of attempted murder, having six years and during the period he was still supposed to serve his sentence.” According to the judge, murder falls in the category of very serious crime, moreover when committed in a domestic setting. The accused and deceased were in an intimate relationship for a relatively short time and when, on that fateful night, she told him she no longer loved him as she fancied her former boyfriend, the accused’s immediate reaction was that, if he could not have her, then no one would. He added that the accused’s immediate reaction upon hearing that the deceased wanted to end their relationship was to threaten to kill her, and when this did not bear the desired result, he carried out the threat. The judge said that society, virtually on a daily basis through the media, is exposed to the most horrid of murders committed against the innocent and vulnerable, and despite the continued outcries against this unacceptable behaviour, the commission of the most despicable offences continues unabated. “From society’s perspective it seems reasonable to accept, in the light of the gravity of the present offence, as well as the large number of serious crimes committed by the accused in the past, that the interest of society would best be served if society is protected against any further crimes the accused might commit in future – a prospect that appears to be a real likelihood,” Judge Liebenberg said, adding: “This would obviously require his removal from society to prevent a situation where he continues to be a danger.” Britz was represented by Jan Wessels, instructed by legal aid, and the state by Deputy Prosecutor General Hesekiel Ipinge. Windhoek The Namibia Professional Hunting Association (Napha) has reacted to the decision by the Professional Hunting Association of South Africa (Phasa) to, by way of amending a constitutional inter alia, the “hunting” of captivebred lions. Napha president Danene van der Westhuyzen said they cannot “sit idly and allow actions, which we our aims and objectives, as well as the internationally recognized principles of ethical hunting in Africa, to go unanswered.” Phasa decided at their annual general meeting held on November 22 that, in future, their constitution hunting” as: “Ethical hunting shall mean all types of hunting permissible by law.” This amended AGM by majority vote. “Napha is shocked and deeply disappointed that Phasa has decided to take the low road by amending its constitution to now leaves the door wide open to abuse and exploitation by those who clearly have no concern for the future of hunting in Africa, or around the world,” Westhuyzen reacted. He said it must also be unequivocally stated that this face of the Code of Ethical Sport Hunting Conduct for Africa, cosigned at Victoria Falls in 1997 by the late Basie Maartens, acting as president of Phasa, as well as the Operators and Professional Hunting Associations of Africa Memorandum of Understanding, also co-signed by Phasa, which deem to be termed ethical. Napha recognizes that the majority vote which approved this constitutional amendment was achieved by a vote of less than one third of its membership. Napha wants to believe that the majority of hunters in South Africa do not support this change in constitution as well as condemns any form of captive-bred lion practices, and shall therefore continue to have Napha’s support in rectifying this grievous wrong. Westhuyzen noted Napha would like to place it on record that there is a distinct and profound of the concepts of “legal” and “ethical” and that, just because something might be legal (or not yet deemed to be illegal), that it is therefore ethical. “There is no law expressly forbidding knowingly shooting a pregnant animal, or animal with dependent young but, by any this would be condemned by any right-minded human being with even the vaguest comprehension of what ethical means. In terms of by Phasa, this type of action would now be deemed by them to be ethical,” he said. By reaching this decision, he said Phasa has decided to ignore the majority opinion of both the hunting and the non-hunting community around the world and, by so doing, has placed all the hard work undertaken by various institutions in support of sustainable hunting as a tool of conservation, in jeopardy. He stressed the decision taken by the majority of Phasa members now leaves the door wide open in South Africa to engage in captivebred lion shooting. “Please note that Napha, along with the majority of African Ophaa (Operators and Professional Hunting Associations of Africa) as well as Apha (African Professional Hunting Association), considers this type of activity to be in direct contravention of what we consider fair chase and ethical hunting, therefore, cannot be called hunting.” He said Napha has no choice but to condemn this short-sighted and ill-advised decision by Phasa in the strongest possible terms and has no choice but to distance itself from this reprehensible decision which has severely tarnished the reputation of the entire African hunting industry. in our beliefs and support hunting associations throughout Africa and the world who share our mission and vision, whereby ethical and fair chase hunting outweigh any gain,” he stated. OLD WAY Total cost=N$30 Sending money to your mother in the village NEW WAY Bank Better with FNB’s electronic channels Get a taxi and drive to a shop where the ATM is located (N) It takes 3 days to get the money to your mother and she ends up with less than you sent Spend 2 days trying to find someone trustworthy who can take the money to your mother The car breaks down on the way and she has to wait another day. N gets stolen from the car when nobody is looking Dial *140*321# from your phone Enter PIN Choose Send Money – eWallet Enter N0 Transaction cost: N She receives the money immediately. TIP Use FNB eWallet to send money quickly and conveniently to anyone in Namibia with a Namibian cellphone number

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana