Views
2 months ago

New Era Newspaper Thursday November 30, 2017

  • Text
  • November
  • Windhoek
  • Documents
  • Valid
  • Namibia
  • Mandatory
  • Xtreme
  • Tender
  • African
  • Triton

22 SPORT

22 SPORT Thursday, November 30 2017 | NEW ERA Serena, Kuznetsova uncertain of playing Australian Open Former world No 1 Serena Williams has yet to make a decision about her participation at the Australian Open, while world number 12 Svetlana Kuznetsova is also a of 2018 after undergoing wrist surgery. Williams was around two months pregnant when she captured her 23rd grand slam singles title in Melbourne earlier this year and was hoping to defend her crown next January following the birth of her daughter in September. The Australian Open will be held from January 15-28. “Serena is getting ready for 2018,” the 36-year-old American’s coach Patrick Mouratoglou told CNN. “She is practicing and getting back in shape. I will be joining her soon in Florida. “We will see how her body is reacting and how her tennis level is and we will take a decision regarding Australia.” Russian Kuznetsova told local media that she was recovering from wrist surgery conducted earlier this month after separate injuries to the area and said there her return. “I had two injuries in my wrist, so I had to do the operation,” the 32-year-old double major winner said. “There’s a very complicated Doubtful... Serena Williams might not return on time to defend her Australian Open title early next year. -Photo: japantimes.co.jp diagnosis. I’m still recovering and the doctor does not talk about training and play. Australia, most likely, I will have to miss.” Meanwhile, Victoria Azarenka, who has not played since July due to an ongoing child custody battle, is set to return at the ASB Classic in January but will be without coach Michael Joyce, who released a statement on their partnership. “Vika is an extremely talented player. While I am excited to see her return to tennis, I encourage and respect her decision to put Belarusian two-time Australian Allardyce agrees Everton deal Sam Allardyce to appoint the former England coach as their new manager on Wednesday, ending a long hunt since they sacked Ronald Koeman last month, the Premier League club announced. “Sam Allardyce will be at USM Finch Farm (Everton’s training ground) this afternoon new manager of Everton Football Club,” Everton said in a statement. Earlier on Wednesday, the Daily Mail reported Allardyce had signed an 18-month deal and quoted owner Farhad Moshiri as saying: “We need a strong leader, he gives us that.” Allardyce ruled himself out of the running earlier this month, saying he did not feel the Toffees were convinced he was the right man. But after Everton’s pursuit of Watford boss Marco Silva was Vicarage Road, the club returned to Allardyce. This will be the 10th English club managerial position of the 63-year-old’s career, with Allardyce most recently having guided Crystal Palace to safety last season. When he left Selhurst Park in May, Allardyce said he had no ambitions to take another managerial job but the chance to turn around the fortunes of the Merseyside club has apparently lured him back. Everton are 17th in the table, two points ahead of West Ham United in the third relegation spot. David Unsworth has been in temporary charge since Koeman was sacked on October 23 and the under-23s boss had made clear his desire to take on the job permanently. But during his seven-game tenure Everton have lost five matches and won just one, conceding 20 goals. Unsworth will remain in charge for Wednesday’s Premier League match against West Ham at Goodison Park. Everton invested heavily following last season’s impressive Sam Allardyce Open champion and former world No 1. “It is with deep regret that I have decided to move forward with my coaching career while she continues to work out her private life. I look forward to seeing her on the tour soon and wish her the best of luck.” - Supersport.com has previously led Palace and Sunderland to safety from precarious situations. His achievements at the Stadium of Light earned him his dream job with England but that turned sour after only one match, with Allardyce stepping down in September 2016 following a newspaper sting. - Nampa/AFP Tiger Woods ‘feeling fantastic’ ahead of Hero World Challenge Former world number one Tiger Woods says he is “feeling fantastic” as he prepares to return to action at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas. The American, 41, has had multiple back operations in recent years and withdrew from his last tournament in Dubai in February with back spasms. But the 14- time major winner says surgery in April has cured the pain. “The surgery was about quality of life. I didn’t really have much because I had been in bed for two years,” he said. “I feel fantastic. I miss playing golf for fun, I haven’t done that in two years” Woods ended a 15-month absence when he returned for the Hero World Challenge this time last year, but his comeback was cut short when he withdrew from February’s Dubai Desert Classic. He then underwent an “anterior interbody lumbar fusion” to prevent the nerve pain in his back, but in September said he may never return to competitive golf. “There is still some apprehension going forward and this week is a big step for me,” said Woods at a news conference before the invitational 18-man tournament at Albany, which begins on Thursday. “Last year I was still struggling with the pain. I looked like I was playing in slow-mo - I didn’t realise how bad my back had become. It has been a slow degrading process. “The neatest thing for me is to be by the bed, grab a club and not have to use it as a crutch. That’s so exciting for me. I am so thankful I have had this procedure and got to this point.” tournament win since 2013, while his title drought in the majors dates back to 2008. “I am just looking forward to getting through these four rounds, having a better understanding of where I am at,” he added. “I am still learning this body. I want to be able to compete this week, give myself a chance on that back nine on Sunday to win this thing.” - www.bbc.com WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU Participate in our surveys and stand a chance to WIN a weekend away for two at any NWR Resort worth N$ 5000. Visit www.nepc.com.na to participate.

Thursday, November 30 2017 | NEW ERA SPORT 23 Brave Warriors meet and greet MPs WINDHOEK The Brave Warriors and their management team, led by Namibia Football Association (NFA) secretarygeneral Barry Rukoro on Tuesday presented the Dr Hage Geingob trophy to parliamentarians as a support from the lawmakers as well as showing appreciation. Speaker of the National Assembly, Professor Peter Katjivivi welcomed the senior national men’s football team before taking the players to the chambers, where he introduced them to the members of parliament (MPs) in the National Assembly. The team beat Zimbabwe 3-1 to win the Dr Hage Geingob Cup on 11 November at the Sam Nujoma Stadium. Speaking to the players and management before leading them into the chambers, Katjivivi said the lawmakers were aware of the team’s achievement. “We have discussed your performance to an extent that we have said if the line minister (Jerry Ekandjo of Sports, Youth and National Service) does not do his job, we will intervene and vouch sportspeople,” he said. Katjivivi further congratulated the team, saying they had displayed immense skills in the match against Zimbabwe. Deputy Minister of Sports, Youth and National Service, Agnes Tjongarero told the lawmakers that the team’s win was a sporting miracle as they did so without an active league. “For the past two years, our football was going through held meetings with various stakeholders and football is back again,” she said to applause from the August House. She added that it has always without any funds or active league. Tjongarero took time to update the legislators of the team’s upcoming participation at the 2018 African Nations Championship “Fellow honourable members, as we speak right now, the team has to prepare for the January tournament as we will face Uganda, Zambia and Ivory Coast. If we want to continue with the success, we need to start preparing now, and to start those preparations, we need funding,” she emphasised. Photo: Nampa Common courtesy... Ricardo Mannetti and Barry Rukoro listen attentively as Speaker of the National Assembly Professor Peter Katjivivi addresses Brave Warriors players during their visit to the august House. The deputy minister said from Government’s side, they “always expect wonders from Namibian sportsmen and women, but how can they perform those wonders if preparations are not always started on time because of lack of funds?” Tjongarero reminded the lawmakers that at the launch of the Dr Hage Geingob Cup, she had challenged the team to make sure they win the trophy and keep it in the country. She said the players had risen to the challenge and kept the promise. Now, she was challenging the lawmakers to keep their promises. Minister of Health and Social at the same occasion, offered his assistance as the team’s medical the MPs gave a round of applause. - Nampa MINISTRY OF MINES AND ENERGY PROCUREMENT MANAGEMENT UNIT (PMU) OPEN NATIONAL BID INVITATION Monday, 27 November 2017 Centre Tal Street 07:00-16:00 United House Centre 08:30-16:00 Trustco Group (caravan) 09:30:15:30 Swakopmund Town (Ferdinand Stich Str 4) 13:00-18:00 ___________________________ Tuesday, 28 November 2017 Centre Tal Street 07:00-16:00 United House Centre 08:30-16:00 Grootfontein Town (Ng Church Hall) 11:00-18:00 Nampower HQ (caravan) 09:00-14:30 Walvis Bay NAMBTS (Behind Welwitschia Medi-park) 13:00-18:00 ___________________________ Wednesday, 29 November 2017 Centre Tal Street 07:00-16:00 United House Centre 08:30-16:00 Otjivanda Mall (Grootfontein) 09:00-15:00 Van Eck Power Station 10:00-15:00 Ramos Realtors (Walvis Bay) 09:00-16:00 ____________________________ Thursday, 30 November 2017 Centre Tal Street 07:00-18:00 United House Centre 08:30-16:00 Nampower Brakwater 10:00-15:00 Nampharm (caravan) 09:00-14:30 Elgin Brown & Hamer (Walvis Bay) 10:00-15:00 ____________________________ Friday, 1 December 2017 Centre Tal Street 07:00-16:00 United House Centre 08:30-16:00 Simonis Storm 09:00-14:30 Motovac Lafranze (caravan) 09:00-14:30 Telecom Namibia Technical Yard 08:30-13:00 Sponsored by: The Ministry of Mines and Energy hereby invites all interested and qualifying bidders to bid for the provision of the following: PROCUREMENT REFERENCE NUMBER W/ONB/15-01/2017 W/ONB/15-02/2017 W/ONB/15-03/2017 W/ONB/15-04/2017 W/ONB/15-05/2017 W/ONB/15-06/2017 W/ONB/15-07/2017 W/ONB/15-08/2017 W/ONB/15-09/2017 W/ONB/15-10/2017 Levy: N0.00 (Non-refundable) PROCUREMENT REFERENCE NUMBER Levy: N$300.00 (Non-refundable) BID DESCRIPTION BID DESCRIPTION Contact Person: Tel: +264 61 284 8188 / 8214 Email: Closing date: Bids to be submitted in sealed enveloped indicating the Procurement Reference Number, to: or delivered time of the bid).

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana