Views
1 month ago

New Era Newspaper Tuesday December 12, 2017

  • Text
  • Regional
  • Namibia
  • December
  • Windhoek
  • Farmers
  • Ministry
  • Sadc
  • Region
  • Namibian
  • Farming

2 NEWS

2 NEWS Tuesday, December 12 2017 | NEW ERA SALARIES From page 1 Namibian Police public relations bery, saying a 25-year-old Chinese national was held at gunpoint and robbed. The site manager was getting ready to pay the employees when the robbers – at least six of and employees at the site where the The incident happened on Tuesday at around 17h20 at a con- Namibian was shot while trying Hanyu Gu, a Chinese managing that is overseeing the construction site, said employees were paid in cash because some of them do not be transferred to their accounts electronically. “But we have de- that from now on all employees salaries to be transferred electronically,” Hanyu said. On Thursday, Hanyu and two other Chinese nationals paid a courtesy visit to 25-year-old Havana, where they applauded him for his bravery. “We could we saw our bosses were tied, but then the robbers started shooting randomly and I got injured during the process,” said Simeon, who is recovering at home. Hanyu said he was proud of Simeon’s bravery and added an additional N,000 to his salary for “the brave act”. He also apologised that Simeon was shot during the incident and said there were plans to include Simeon – a carpenter – in further construction projects and “People may say that it’s a show, we want people to learn from this,” Hanyu added. Furthermore, Hanyu hard and earn honest incomes rather than rob others. “We are trying to teach our happiness of our future through Hanyu noted that three of the the site before. New Era understands that the three robbers will ployment at Chinese enterprises, according to the Association of Chinese Enterprises in Namibia. been offered an opportunity, but they are not using it,” he said, adding that the income of families were delayed as a result of the robbery. made so far in connection with the robbery. HAUFIKU From page 1 He said the health ministry is undergoing a transformational process at leadership level, even though he was not sure how long it would he urged staff to maintain services, especially clinical and medical services, and that they should not let services suffer because of what is going on in the political arena. challenges in the ministry but most of these challenges of communication and honesty. He emphasized that it applies across the board, and encouraged staff, from cleaners to doctors, to communicate with each other. everything depends on communication and honesty. During his visit to Lüderitz he performed surgical removal of tonsils (tonsillectomy) as part of the health campaign, National Medical Outreach System, which was introduced last year. The purpose of the campaign is to accelerate the reduction of unattended medical and surgical services in the country. al Medical Outreach System save lives. Together with his team he will operate on 30 patients at the Lüderitz State Hospital. He promised that they the campaign going until they have capacitated district and regional hospitals. district hospitals, such as the Lüderitz State Hospital, must be able to do at least 60 percent of basic operations and be capacitated, which will require enough numbers of doctors to do their jobs on time. in 2018 things in the Ministry of Health and Social Services would change for the better. He implored health staff together as a team for them to overcome existing challenges. ONGWEDIVA TOWN COUNCIL PROCUREMENT COMMITTEE Rapist is convicted of yet another crime Maria Amakali Serial rapist Ralph Mtshibe was Magistrate’s Court, Katutura, of yet another crime last Friday after he was found in possession of tools that could enable his escape from custody. Mtshibe, 42, was convicted on three counts of rape and a charge of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm. The high court in March 2013 imposed a prison term of 90 years, which was later reduced to 65 years by the supreme court last year. Mtshibe, a Lüderitz resident, was found with three sharp iron tools while serving his jail sentence in the rectional Facility on December 20, 2015. The prosecution said Mtshibe had plans of using those tools to escape from custody. Having pleaded guilty, the court subsequently found Mtshibe guilty on a charge of possession of prohibited articles. Before sentencing the father of three, who is now serving 65 years’ imprisonment, pleaded with the court to be sentence, as I still have a lot of years,” said Mtshibe. “In rehabilitation, the court must consider a sentence which will prevent you from continuing the way of life you are at present leading, and also prevent you from committing further crimes,” said magistrate Surita Savage. For the latest crime the court sentenced Mtshibe to serve four months N,000. Mtshibe is already serving the longest jail term ever to be imposed on a convicted rapist in the history of Namibian courts. in 1997 for which he was sentenced convicted again on two counts of rape of a 19-year-old girl in 2005. MWOOMBOLA From page 1 Between July and August this year, Mwoombola was subjected to suspension and disciplinary hearings following allegations of mismanagement and corruption. He was however reinstated a few days thereafter. Investigations into his case are still ongoing. Because of the alleged personality clashes between Mwoombola and his try have been suffering from shortages of medical equipment and drugs. on a tour of empty medical stores to show how bad the situation was at the ministry. In fact, some doctors threatened to boycott theatre if the situation had not improved. As a result, President Hage Geingob, during the last cabinet meeting of the year, suggested that either their position at the ministry in order to normalize operations again. “Therefore, the transfer has to be made to ensure that operations of this critical ministry continue smoothly and unaffected.” “His transfer has nothing to do with the disciplinary process underway but is purely an administrative matter aimed at promoting administrative effectiveness at the Ministry of Health and Social Services in particular, and the public service in general,” added Simataa. Simataa further maintained that the reported shortage of resources at the Ministry of Health and Social Services is receiving government’s attention and reforms as recommended in the presidential inquiry into the situation at the ministry that was carried out a few years ago. PROCUREMENT REFERENCE NO: G/ONB/OTC TS – 03/2017 – 2018 DESCRIPTION: Rehabilitation of the Oxidation Ponds – Phase 4 (Cleaning, Removal, Pumping and Discarding of Reeds and Sludge). COMPULSORY BRIEFING: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 10h00, Council CLOSING DATE: Tuesday, 09 January 2018 at 14H30. DOCUMENTS: Available as from Tuesday, December 12, 2017 from the Cashiers. LEVY: ENQUIRIES: DELIVERY ADDRESS: ATTENTION: N$ 1,000 - 00 (Non - refundable). Mr. D Mulokoshi (Technical) OR Ms. J. Hainana (Administrative). Tel.: 065 – 233700 Fax: 065 – 230521 marked) Ongwediva Town Council Corner of Mandume Ndemufayo Road & Dr. Libertine Amathila Street. The Secretary, Procurement Committee OUR CONTACT DETAILS AND INFORMATION EDITOR Chrispin Inambao cinambao@nepc.com.na EDITORIAL newsroom@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 61 - 2080800 Fax: +264 61 - 235 419 EDITORIAL BOARD: Toivo Ndjebela, Chrispin Inambao, Desie Heita, Helvi Shaanika, Kae Matundu-Tjiparuro, Carlos Kambaekwa REGIONAL OFFICES Tel: +264 66 - 253 049 Cell: +264 81 488 6594 / +264 81 124 2895 Tel: +264 66 - 256 298 Cell +264 81 217 1888 jmuyamba@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 65 - 238 990 Fax: +264 65 - 231 305 north@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 67 - 221 652 Cell: +264 81 456 8643 osimasiku@nepc.com.na Cell: +264 81 217 9739 Cell: +264 81 204 8078 edeklerk@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 63 - 222 057 Cell: +264 81 312 5975 mhamutenya@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 63 - 204 180 Cell: +264 81 245 9714 tabraham@iway.na DISTRIBUTION & SUBSCRIPTIONS Ernst Apollus eapollus@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 61 - 2080800 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584 MARKETING, SALES & PRODUCTION Festus Goseb fgoseb@nepc.com.na sales@nepc.com.na Tel: +264 61 - 2080800 Fax: +264 61 - 220 584

Tuesday, December 12 2017 | NEW ERA N million Nored fraud heads to court Nuusita Ashipala Ondangwa The four suspects in the alleged fraud of N.7 million fraud at Nored will soon be heading to court, almost two years after the case was opened in November 2015. Board member Willy Mertens made the revelations at the company’s 15 th annual general meeting. Mertens said the case delayed the signing off of the company’s auditors and that records for 2016 and 2017 cannot be signed off. Mertens said the auditors at the time could not sign off the to establish whether the fraud had any impact on the institution’s At the time the fraud surfaced the alleged kingpin was said to have resigned within 24 hours. The case had been kept under wraps since, with the authorities refusing to comment on the developments. However, according to wellpaced sources, the suspects were reportedly giving electricity vendors more electricity units than they purchased, in a scheme to defraud the company. In return, the suspects collected NEWS 3 the money from the additional units sold. It remains a mystery from the fraudulent scheme. “They used to give the vendors extra units, and all they would tell them is that they would come and collect the money once the units have been sold,” said the source. The details of the electricity units given to the vendors would then be deleted from the system. Senior citizens get food hampers Selma Ikela Windhoek The City of Windhoek treated about 260 senior citizens to an early Christmas lunch on Friday afternoon and gave the elders food hampers. The City Council’s function hall was full to capacity as pensioners came out to enjoy the afternoon At the event, Mayor Muesee Kazapua said this is the time of the needs of the lonely and the elderly, who at times feel very isolated, especially those with family ties in the city, and it was against this to organise the event. “We recognise their contribution and do not seek to alienate their accomplishment. Through this effort, we reassure our beloved elder residents, that we are proud of them and that we care for them,” Hand in hand… Windhoek Mayor Muesse Kazapua hands over a food hamper to Katrina Swartz from Eastern Court, while Elias Coetzee looks on, following a special lunch aranged for elderly residents of the city. Photo: Selma Ikela Kazapua said. The mayor also noted the city’s approval of the conversion of the pensioners’ electricity meters to prepaid meters. The council has budgeted N million for this year, which will see the 1,000 electricity meters. The work on this project will start early next year. “Let me therefore call upon all the pensioners who have not yet completed the application form to do so as soon as possible, because we do not want any pensioner to be left out,” Kazapua said. Currently, about 7,300 households collectively owe more than N million in outstanding electricity payment to the municipality. Kazapua said the council would nevertheless continue rendering free of charge public transport services to pensioners and other vulnerable groups. “We have taken this decision in good faith, hence we will never take this pledged. Partners who made the event First Lady, which donated 600 5kg bags of rice and macaroni; Standard Bank Namibia which donated N,000, Mobipay (N,000) and Ark Trading industries, which Hilke Amunyela, an 85-yearold woman from Goreangab expressed gratitude for the support offered to the elders and for the event held in their honour. “We support all those who remembered us. God bless them. We are going to have proper meals, knowing we are assisted by our people,” Amunyela said. Kakurukaze Mungunda Kae MaÞunÿu-Tjiparuro Windhoek December 10, the day the apartheid South African police gunned down protesters against the forced removal of black Africans from the Old Location (modern day Hochland Park) and surroundings, to the modern day Katutura, 58 years ago, was commemorated at the 1959 Heroes and Heroines Memorial site in Windhoek on Sunday. The memorial grave in Hochland Park stands where 11 people gunned down in what has become known as the Old Location Massacre were buried in 1959. Several suffered bullet wounds, from which they later succumbed, having carryied these wounds which never seemed to heal, as at the time their wounds did not receive proper medical attention, which was hard for Africans to access during the apartheid era. A good number of women, if not the predominant number, especially who were children from that era, were part of those who converged at the memorial grave on the occasion. Among them was a 98-year-old man, as well as 74-year-old Isabella Guriras, all the way from the Erongo Region, for whom the commemoration in Windhoek has become a yearly pilgrimage. The occasion saw one of the witnesses of the 1959 massacre, once again the heroics of Kakurukaze Mungunda, who is today celebrated as a martyr and heroine for torching a police car during the 1959 uprising, as a result of which she was shot dead. Despite Mungunda having earned her martyrdom posthumously for her that cast doubt on whether she was actually responsible for torching the police car. testimony about Mungunda’s 1959 heroics, was Maseukiro Tjiposa, who himself narrowly escaped a gruesome death when a bullet missed him only leaving a scratch on his head on that fateful day in 1959. He differed on how and where Kakurukaze obtained the petrol she used to put the police Because of Mungunda’s heroics, the day, also known as Swanu Day, for the party’s political leadership in the resistance against forced removal, and by many other accolades, is also referred to as Women’s Day. But some witnesses say this is not simply for the heroics of Mungunda on the actual day of the massacre, December 10, 1959, but also in honour of the role women played in the build-up to December 10, 1959. Prior to the day women had been agitating - especially on December 6 - when they demonstrated before the - others, agitated the South African authorities and likely contributed to the 1959 massacre. The day, which is also known as International Human Rights Day, was commemorated in Namibia under the theme: ‘From Peace in the home to Peace in World: Make Education Safe for All’. “This theme reminds us that violence against women and girls is a grave violation of human rights and we need to unite to end this grave violation of women’s rights,” said Khomas Governor Laura McLeod-Katjirua in delivering her keynote address on the occasion. NOTICE ON AIRPORTS OPERATIONS The Namibia Airports Company (NAC) and the Namibia Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and their respective Boards of Directors would like to assure the public that there were no intentions to close the airports. NAC and NCAA are committed to ensure safe, secure and efficient continued operations at the airports and the airports remain open to the public. Chairperson, NAC Board of Directors Wishing you happy holidays! Mr Reinhard Gärtner Deputy Chairperson, NCAA Board of Directors

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana