Views
4 months ago

New Era Newspaper Tuesday February 27, 2018

  • Text
  • Namibia
  • Windhoek
  • February
  • Ministry
  • Environmental
  • African
  • Extension
  • Region
  • Namibian
  • Shapopi

18 AFRICA

18 AFRICA Tuesday, February 27 2018 | NEW ERA Kenya court enables return of deported opposition NAIROBI Kenya’s High Court yesterday ordered immigration authorities to allow an outspoken member of the opposition alliance to return to the country, after his deportation earlier this month. member of the National Super Alliance (NASA) coalition, was forced onto an interna- three weeks ago. His deportation came after he was arrested for treason for taking part in the mock swearing-in of opposition leader Raila Odinga, who insists he is the rightful victor of last year’s elections. The interior ministry said Miguna had “denounced” his Kenyan citizenship after obtaining Canadian citizenship several years ago. High Court judge Chacha Mwita ordered the immigration department to issue Miguna “with a travel document to enable him to re-enter and remain in Kenya pending the determination and hearing of his petition” to defend his citizenship. “In default the petitioner shall be at liberty to use his Canadian passport to re-enter and remain in Kenya,” he said. Holding dual citizenship is legal in Kenya, and in August, Miguna ran for political citizenship a key criteria for all candidates. Miguna holds no elected “general” of the opposition’s “National Resistance Movement” (NRM) wing, in charge of implementing a threatened programme of civil disobedience and boycotts. Following Odinga’s pretend inauguration, Kenya’s government designated the NRM as an “organised criminal group”. However Mwita on Monday also suspended this decision. was yet another twist in the long saga of Kenya’s disputed elections which saw the Supreme Court annul the result of the initial August poll and Odinga boycott the October rerun, handing victory to President Uhuru Kenyatta. A Human Rights Watch statement released Monday the hands of police and armed gangs during the protracted election. Nampa/AFP girls missing after Boko Haram school attack ABUJA The Nigerian government on girls were missing after a Boko Haram school attack in the northeast, following days of silence on the children’s fate. “The Federal Government has Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State, are so far unaccounted for, after insurgents believed to be from a faction of Boko Haram invaded their school on Monday,” the information ministry said in a statement. The statement came after authorities were unable to account for the ministry said. The kidnapping has raised questions about the military’s repeated ABUJA capital yesterday to discuss ways to stop Africa’s Lake Chad from drying up, after years of environmental decline that has hit livelihoods and security. The two-day conference, organised by the government in Abuja and the Lake Chad Basin Commission, aims to “save the to UNESCO, which is backing the talks. lion-euro) research and conservation programme will involve Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria, whose borders meet on claims that the Islamist militants are on the verge of defeat, after It has also revived memories of that shook the world. On Monday night, terrified in military fatigues and turbans stormed the town, shouting “Allahu Akbar” (“God is greatest”). The authorities initially denied that any student had been kidnapped. On Friday, President Muhammadu Buhari apologised to the girls’ families, saying: “This is a national disaster. We are sorry that this could have happened.” Former military ruler Buhari the lake, as well as the Central African Republic. Troops from Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria are Haram jihadists in the remote region. Lake Chad is the princi- million people. But climate change and water mismanagement have contrib- decline of the lake’s surface over As it dries up and hunger rises, the region has become fragile and Boko Haram jihadists have targeted subsistence farmers and - Nampa/AFP to defeat Boko Haram, after the jihadists grew in strength under his predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan. Jonathan was lambasted for his tardy response to the Chibok from the town in Borno state taken in the dead of night. on Dapchi, Buhari said: “This is a national disaster. We are sorry that this could have happened.” A teacher at the school, Amsani Alilawan, said there were soldiers in Dapchi until last month but they were then redeployed. “One month back, they carry (take away) all soldiers, they transferred them to another side, they leave us without security,” he said. Enraged relatives of the missing girls this week tried to surround the convoy of the state mayor of Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Gidan (right), speaks to Information Minister Lai Mohammed (centre) and ing Boko Haram, Brigadier General Rogers Nicholas, on the premises of the Government Girls Science and Technical College, in Dapchi, Nigeria, on February 22, 2018. Anger erupted in a town in remote northeast Nigeria bled to account for scores of schoolgirls from the college who locals say have been kidnapped by Boko Haram jihadists. Police said on February 21 that 111 girls from the college were unaccounted for following a jihadist raid late on February 19. Hours later, Abdullahi Bego, spokesman for Yobe state governor Ibrahim Gaidam, said “some of the girls” had been rescued by troops “from the terrorists who abducted them”. But on a visit to Dapchi on Thursday, Gaidam appeared to question whether there had been any abduction. Photo: Nampa/AFP Yobe, only to be pushed back by the security forces. The kidnapping is the worst jihadist assault to have hit Nigeria since Buhari came to power. Boko Haram, whose name roughly translates from Hausa as “Western education is forbidden”, has targeted schools, particularly those with a secular curriculum. The jihadists’ quest to establish a hardline Islamic state in northeast Boko Haram has increasingly turned to kidnapping for operations and win back key commanders in prisoner swaps with the Nigerian government. - Nampa/AFP ‘Save Lake Chad’ meeting opens in Nigeria Lake Chad which is drying up. Photo: Nampa/AFP

Tuesday, February 27 2018 | NEW ERA WORLD 19 Could Brazil’s loathed president Temer seek a new term? Until recently, Brazil’s scandalplagued and deeply unpopular President Michel Temer looked finished, but there is growing speculation he may attempt to defy political gravity and seek a new term. The centre-right leader, who came to power after the controversial impeachment of his leftist predecessor Dilma Rousseff, always said he would be just a placeholder. Again on Friday, he insisted, “I won’t be a candidate.” But increasing numbers think “We should not really believe him,” said David Fleischer, professor emeritus at the University of Brasilia. “Everyone knows that Temer is very actively trying to consolidate his candidacy.” With less than eight months before the October election, Temer had long been counted out of the running. Even now, barely anyone can imagine him winning. “It would be more or less mission impossible, because his government is extremely unpopular and it has all its corruption accusations against it,” Fleischer said. the 77-year-old’s way. One is the weakness of relatively rently led by leftist ex-president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and Bolsonaro. In addition, Lula may hold an attempting to overturn a 12-year prison sentence for corruption and may well end up not running. Bolsonaro, a fan of the military dictatorship that ended in 1985, may also be weaker than he looks, with polls showing him peaking. Environmentalist Marina Silva and Sao Paulo state Governor Geraldo Alckmin are among the others vying in third place but none is anywhere near dominant. Temer’s main claim to success so far has been overseeing a gradual recovery of the economy, even if it is still painfully tepid for the 11.8 percent unemployed. But he has also received an unexpected shot of energy from his decision this month to crack down by putting the army in charge of local police. Temer remains the most unpopular president on record, with approval ratings in the single digits, but his decree got 83 percent support from Rio residents. That gave Temer a chance to play the strongman and to bask in the unusual sensation of being associated with a popular policy. Immediately, there was speculation that Temer’s thinking behind the military intervention -- which analysts say has questionable value on the ground -- was that he might boost his election hopes. China gambles on return to lifetime rule BEIJING China’s Communist Party has handed President Xi Jinping an open path to warn carries enormous risks by decades under Mao. Xi, who has concentrated power, - - The announcement made Xi’s two predecessors, Jiang smooth succession that accompanied China’s rise to become the Chinese President Xi Jinping Photo:Nampa/AFP But Xi, 64, has adopted Mao’s ciety and corruption, enshrining his name in the party constitution and Remaining in power beyond - - opening on March 5. - he said. he intended to stay in power when no heir apparent was anointed at October. - “From the anti-corruption - economic restructuring, the CPC empowering non-party economic - - time when China is asserting its - Nampa/AFP terrorism. - a statement. Neighbours reported that their own homes shook with - remained at the site throughout yesterday. - VACANCY www.powercom.na POSITION TITLES: CUSTOMER RELATIONS OFFICER (C3) MARKETING & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT OFFICER (C3) All queries should be directed to The Senior Manager: Commercial at Tel: 061-201 2090. Digital copy of job description can be obtained from the PowerCom (PTY) LTD website at http://www.powercom.na at shirley.harases@telecom.na CLOSING DATE: 9 March 2018

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana