Views
5 months ago

New Era Newspaper Tuesday July 18, 2017

  • Text
  • Windhoek
  • Namibia
  • Region
  • Namibian
  • Regional
  • Tender
  • Ministry
  • Reported
  • Economic
  • Environmental

NEW ERA |

NEW ERA | Tuesday, July 18 2017 Round 5 of Enduro series at Farm Ababis this weekend Page 22 Brave Warriors' heroic victory through the lens... Page 23 SPORT MONACO Frank Fredericks Namibia’s internationally acclaimed sprint legend Frank Fredericks was yesterday provisionally suspended from duty by the world’s track and field governing body, IAAF. Fredericks is being investigated for alleged corruption in being suspected of being linked to the 2016 Olympics hosting vote. An Independent Athletics Integrity Unit revealed that its request for an interim ban on the Namibian, a four-time Olympic medallist, was granted by the IAAF disciplinary panel. Fredericks, who is also an IOC member, is equally separately being investigated by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Ethics IAAF provisionally suspends Fredericks in payment probe Commission for receiving a payment of about 0,000 (approximately N.9 million) on Oct. 2, 2009 — the same day Rio de Janeiro won the 2016 Olympic hosting vote in a four-city contest. French daily Le Monde alleged in March this year that the payment came from a Brazilian businessman and was channeled through a sports marketing company created by Papa Massata Diack, son of disgraced IAAF president Lamine Diack. Both Diacks are implicated by French prosecutors in a corruption case that includes extorting money from athletes to cover up doping. However, the Namibian denies any wrongdoing, claiming the money was for contracted consultancy work. He previously offered to step aside from his IOC work and IAAF duties except his seat on the ruling Council. “I am not prepared to voluntarily consent not to undertake my duties in respect of the position I hold as IAAF Council Member,” Fredericks wrote to the disciplinary panel. Nonetheless, he agreed to avoid attending a meeting in London next month on the sidelines of the Aug. 4-13 World Championships. In the meantime, he plans to contest the suspension at a hearing, the integrity unit says. In its published interim ruling, the IAAF disciplinary panel said Fredericks had the presumption of innocence while under investigation. Still, the panel chairman noted “Fredericks has not, in the answers and explanations he provided to date, disturbed the prima facie case of matters warranting investigation.” Those matters include “whether there was any connection between the payment and the IOC vote to award the 2016 summer Olympics to Rio de Janeiro,” the IAAF panel said. Fredericks was seen as a rising star in Olympic circles until the case was reported. He had to resign as chairman of the IOC panel evaluating the bids of Los Angeles and Paris to host the 2024 Olympics, while agreeing not to take part in that hosting decision due in September. The 49-year-old Namibian track star won silver medals in the 100m and 200m sprints at both the 1992 Barcelona and 1996 Atlanta Olympics. - www.fresnobee.com Crowd was the driving force - Mannetti Making the nation proud... Namibia’s Brave Warriors on Sunday delivered a courageous performance to narrowly overpower the Warriors of Zimbabwe 1-0 in the first leg of their 2018 CHAN qualifiers at the Sam Nujoma Stadium. Staff Reporter Windhoek The unwavering support and patriotism displayed by thousands of Namibians who flocked the Sam Nujoma Stadium on Sunday is what propelled the Brave Warriors to a heroic 1-0 win over the Warriors of Zimbabwe during the first leg of their 2018 CHAN qualifiers. “On Thursday I called on at least 10,000 Namibians to come out and support the boys in our game against Zimbabwe but I was totally caught off guard to see so many people at the stadium. It made it very emotional and we were determined not to disappoint them. When we got the goal I paused and then celebrated – it was unbelievable how many people were at the stadium. It was just incredible and I had wanted, and prayed, for that moment to last until the end. Thank you Namibia,” said coach Ricardo Mannetti. Brave Warriors captain Ronald ‘Stigga’ Ketjijere shared the same sentiments on the atmosphere at the stadium on Sunday. “When we came out to warm up we kind of had our heads down looking at the stands but when we came out for the line-up we could see the numbers had picked up, and I had a feeling they would increase as time went on. It is our responsibility as players to keep the people in love with the team and that’s why we always get onto the pitch and give our best,” he said. “On Sunday it was exceptional. For us as a team that kind of support was a clear sign of maturity from the supporters; they understand where we are and what we want to achieve. We now prepare for the second leg with so much pride and drive to do even better,” Ketjijere confidently added. Namibia and Zimbabwe will meet again on Sunday, July 23, at the Harare Sports Stadium for their second round second leg match, with the eventual winner progressing to the third and final round where either Lesotho or Comoros await on the road to Kenya 2018. Polokwane City assessing Ronaldo Tsowaseb KickOff.com can reveal that Polokwane City are ready to welcome former PSL giants Orlando Pirates striker Theo ‘Ronaldo’ Tsowaseb and former Kaizer Chiefs striker David Zulu for assessment. Namibia’s Tsowaseb signed with Pirates a few years ago but did not get much game time for the Buccaneers as he would have loved to, leading to his return to Namibia where he briefly joined forces with Black Africa back at home. Meanwhile, Zulu is currently a free agent after Kaizer Chiefs opted against renewing his contract following a loan spell with Chippa United. According to a source close to Rise and Shine, both players were due to arrive in Polokwane for assessment yesterday. “ Tsowaseb is already in the country to start training with Polokwane while Zulu is also joining on Monday (yesterday) for assessment,” said the source. - KickOff.com

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana