Views
3 months ago

New Era Newspaper Tuesday September 26, 2017

  • Text
  • Namibia
  • September
  • Windhoek
  • Namibian
  • Tender
  • Ministry
  • Curriculum
  • Region
  • Agricultural
  • African

New Era Newspaper Tuesday September 26,

Vol. 23 No. 288 Windhoek, Namibia Tuesday September 26 2017 Inside Today Tourism industry below expectations but still better than last year During the second quarter, the FNB/Fenata Travel Index dipped by 16.2 percent quarter-on-quarter in real terms as rising costs continue to dampen growth. Page 3 Tourism industry below expectations but still better than last year During the second quarter, the FNB/Fenata Travel Index dipped by 16.2 percent quarter-on-quarter in real terms as rising costs continue to dampen growth. Page 9 Oshaatotwa group urged to pave way for youth Albertina Nakale Windhoek The newly appointed permanent secretary in the Ministry of Defense Rear Admiral Peter Hafeni Vilho says he believes it is high time the ‘Oshaatotwa group’ in the Namibian Defense Force (NDF) hands over power to the young generation. The Oshaatotwa group stems from a Swapo military training camp in Zambia, where the majority of Namibian PLAN African army during the anti-colonial struggle. These soldiers were integrated into the NDF after independence and are currently occupying senior ranks in the force. OSHAATOTWA on page 2 Photo: Albertina Nakale New appointment… Defense Minister Penda Ya Ndokolo embraces newly appointed permanent secretary Rear Admiral Peter Hafeni Vilho after he introducing him to staff members. Sacked Kayec teachers appeal dismissal Tourism industry below expectations but still better than last year During the second quarter, the FNB/Fenata Travel Index dipped by 16.2 percent quarter-on-quarter in real terms as rising costs continue to dampen growth. Page 24 Maria Amakali Windhoek Windhoek Magistrate Vanessa Stanley yesterday granted two former employees of the Namibian Sports Commission (NSC) bail of N,000 each, citing that there is noy enough evidence to suggest that Ivonne Nande, 35, and Walter Haseb, 46, were not Nujoma, Geingob at inauguration of Angolan president President Hage Geingob leaves today for Luanda to attend the inauguration of João Manuel Concalves Lourenco as the new president of the Republic of Angola. Lourenco is Angola’s third president since that country’s independence in 1975. Presidential spokesperson Albertus Aochamub yesterday said Geingob and the founding president Sam Nujoma will also attend the inauguration ceremony of Lourenco in Luanda today. President Geingob is expected to have courtesy meetings with outgoing president Jose Eduardo dos Santos and incoming President Lourenço. Accompanying the president are Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah, Safety and Security Minister Charles Namholoh and Labour Minister Errkki Nghimtina. Pictured here upon their arrival in Luanda yesterday are founding president Nujoma with Namibian Ambassador to Angola Grace Ushonal and behind them Nghimtina (right) and Namoloh (partially obscured). The pair’s gloomy faces lit up in excitement when Magistrate Stanley handed down her judgment in their favour in a fully packed courtroom. “The court is convinced with probable cause that the accused persons are liable to be released on bail,” Stanley explained. Haseb, who was employed as the commission’s acting chief administrator, Nande were arrested in July by the Anti- Corruption Commission for the alleged embezzlement of N.9 million of the NSC’s funds. The prosecution is charging Haseb and Nande with a charge of corruptly using OFFICIALS on page 2 Roland Routh Windhoek Thirteen teachers of Kayec Trust in Windhoek that embarked on a strike for higher wages in July last year and were subsequently dismissed from their positions after the Labour Commissioner ruled that the strike was unlawful and therefore unprotected, have appealed the ruling in the High Court. Represented by Advocate Thabang Phatela on instruction of Metcalfe Attorneys, the 13 teachers and the Namibia National Teachers Union (NANTU) is asking Judge Boas Usiku to set aside the award of the Labour Commissioner that declared the strike illegal. The teachers were charged with misconduct and dismissed on February 13. The union and the teachers contend that the Labour Commissioner erred when she found the strike was illegal, as they apparently did not adhere to a requirement in the recognition agreement days’ notice before embarking on industrial action. SACKED on page 2 New Era Newspaper @NewEraNewspaper #NewEraNewspaper appclassifieds/discover

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana