Views
2 months ago

New Era Newspaper Wednesday April 11, 2018

  • Text
  • Applicant
  • Namibia
  • April
  • Windhoek
  • Regional
  • Ministry
  • Republic
  • Namibian
  • Particulars
  • Postal

New Era Newspaper Wednesday April 11,

Inside Today SADC strengthens cybercrime policies Page 3 Uranium and zinc remain Namibia’s top exports to China Jonas reach Commonwealth Games semis Page 9 Page 24 Vol. 23 No. 149 Windhoek Namibia Wednesday, April 11 2018 Geingob to attend funeral of Madikizela-Mandela Kuzeeko Tjitemisa Windhoek President Hage Geingob and Swapo travel to South Africa to attend the funeral Era yesterday, Shaningwa said she will be representing the ruling party while Geingob will be representing the country. aged 81, at the Netcare Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg. Known as “the mother of the nation”, Presidency not spared Calle’s sharp knife Kuzeeko Tjitemisa Windhoek The Office of the President’s 2018/2019 budget has been reduced by N7 million from last year’s N8 million allocation, to N11.5 million appointed Presidential Affairs Minister Martin Andjaba in the National Assembly yesterday. Motivating the presidency’s budget in parliament, Andjaba introduced by government. Finance minister Calle Schlettwein introduced stern fiscal consolidation measures since 2016, resulting in early implications such as freezing entry level jobs in the public sector which impacted youth employment negatively. KNIFE on page 2 president Nelson Mandela died after a long illness due to which she had been in and out of hospital since the start of the year. She succumbed peacefully surrounded by her family and loved ones‚ the family Udo Froese, who was her spokesperson for eight years, yesterday said the burial will be held this Saturday at a cemetery in Fourways, north of Johannesburg. committee (IMC) on state funerals led by the Minister in the Presidency, Dr in preparation of the events. FUNERAL on page 2 Photo: Kobe Designs Cut to the bone… The Namibian presidency’s budget has been cut by nearly N0 million. High treason appellants lose case Maria Amakali Windhoek The special appeal case of eight men who were challenging the Namibia courts’ jurisdiction to prosecute them on Tuesday fell like a rock from the sky after the Windhoek High Court dismissed their case. High Court Judge Petrus Unengu dismissed their special plea claim on grounds that eastern Caprivi, now known as Zambezi Region, forms part of Namibia. This, Unengu said, gives the Namibian court legal rights to try the accused. The accused claimed the Caprivi Strip was never a part of Namibia. Progress Kenyoka Munuma Munuma, 57, Shine Samulandela Samulandela, 52, Manuel Manepelo Makendano, 66, Alex Sinjabata Mushakwa, 55, Diamond Samunzala Salufu, 58, Hoster Simasiku Ntombo, 55, Frederick Isaka Ntambila, 54, and John Mazila Tembwe, 51, will now stand trial on various counts of high treason, sedition, public violence, and illegal importation of weapons and ammunition. Their second trial is scheduled to start on May 14. Judge Unengu said the state has managed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the Caprivi Strip forms part of national territory of Namibia. “This grants the court territorial jurisdiction competent title to prosecute the accused with the offences as listed in the indictment,” said Judge Unengu. Unengu pointed out it is a common cause that the eight had applied and received Namibian identity documents. They even have been registered voters with Namibian voter’s cards, which indicates they are Namibian citizens. The group argued that they attained such documents for the mere purpose to get services such as banking and to get their children registered into schools. TREASON on page 2 New Era Newspaper @NewEraNewspaper #NewEraNewspaper appclassifieds/discover

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana