16 AFRICA Wednesday, April 18 2018 | NEW ERA Vacancies Sports Editor: New Era Grade: D2 KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS DRC sacks more than 250 ‘fake’ or corrupt judges KINSHASA The Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday sacked more than 250 magistrates who did not have a law degree or were accused of corruption. President Joseph Kabila has “sanctioned more than 200 individuals function as magistrates,” Justice Minister Alexis Thambwe Mwamba said on public television. Press reports said a total of 256 were either suspended or sacked, two others resigned while another was put on retirement. The sprawling country counts some 4,000 magistrates. “One cannot enter the judiciary with the objective of making money,” the justice minister said, describing the targeted individuals as “adventurers” who entered the judiciary without a law degree or others who took bribes to deliver a favourable ruling. “It is evident that there are other magistrates who escaped this dragnet,” he said, adding that a law would be introduced to raise the bar for aspiring magistrates. In 2009, Kabila sacked 96 judges accused of corruption, a scourge in the mineral-rich country, including within the government. Thambwe Mwamba also rapped the slow judicial system and said arrests and detentions were used as “an instrument of intimidation and terror against the accused to strip them of their assets.” – Nampa/AFP MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS COMPETENCY/SKILLS Editor: Entertainment & Special Publications (New Era) Grade: D2 KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS COMPETENCY/SKILLS/PERSONAL QUALITIES The Human Resources Department RECEPTION New Era Publication Corporation New Era Publication Corporation Private Bag 13364 Or Cnr of Dr W.Külz and Kerby Streets Windhoek Windhoek Email: email@example.com Closing date: 18 April 2018 S.A authorities raid Gupta property over graft JOHANNESBURG raided a Johannesburg property belonging to the Guptas, a wealthy business family at the heart of graft allegations against former president Jacob Zuma. The Hawks police investigative unit and the tax service descended on the Guptas’ heavily protected compound in the upmarket suburb of Saxonwold. Prosecution authorities said the in a fraud and money laundering case involving the Guptas, who are accused of receiving favourable government deals during Zuma’s presidency. other assets “under restraint pending National Prosecution Authority spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku told AFP. LUANDA Outspoken Angolan human rights activist and journalist Rafael Marques de Morais will be tried in camera for a story he wrote two years ago exposing alleged corruption, he said Monday. The charges relate to a story that Marques wrote in 2016 about a purchase of land by former attorney general Joao Maria de Sousa. A court hearing on Monday was adjourned until April 24 after de Souza’s lawyers argued that as a former attorney general he had special privileges. “The court said the trial cannot be held in the court of law and must general, so they moved the trial to the 24th (of April) and it will be held in camera,” Marques told AFP. Thirteen people are facing charges linked to allegations that 250-millionrand ( million) of public money meant for poor dairy farmers was siphoned off by the Guptas. A private jet used by the family Africa where it was grounded by the farms and luxury cars. The Gupta brothers -- Atul, Ajay and Rajesh -- moved to South Africa in 1993 from India, a year before the Their whereabouts is not publicly known, but they have previously denied any wrongdoing. Zuma was forced to resign as president two months ago as criticism grew from within the ruling ANC party over corruption allegations against him. - Nampa/AFP Angolan activist to be tried in camera for graft story “It’s demeaning for the independence of the courts,” he added. Marques, who runs the news website Maka Angola, and Mariano Bras, another journalist who reproduced the article, face up to three years in jail. The 46-year-old Oxford-educated Marques is no stranger to Angola’s courts, having been arrested and detained several times. In 2015, he was convicted of defaming military generals in a book and was handed a six-month suspended prison sentence. In September, President Joao Lourenco succeeded Dos Santos, who had ruled Angola for 38 years. Lourenco assumed power promising to tackle corruption in the oil-rich nation. - Nampa/AFP
Wednesday, April 18 2018 | NEW ERA WORLD 17 Cubans prepare to turn the page on Castro era Havana Cuban President Raul Castro steps down Thursday, passing the baton to a new generation in a transition that brings to a close the Castro brothers’ sixdecade grip on power. “We have come a long way... so that our children, those of the present and those of the future, will be happy,” Castro said in one of his last speeches as leader last month. The 86-year-old has been in power since 2006, when he took over after illness sidelined his brother Fidel, who seized power in the 1959 revolution. Between them, father of the nation Fidel and younger brother Raul ruled Cuba for nearly 60 years, making the Caribbean island a key player in the Cold War and helping collapse of the Soviet Union. On Thursday, that chapter of history will come to a close when the national assembly elects a new president of the Council of State, catapulting the island into the post-Castro era. The assembly will begin gathering on Wednesday, although the vote itself will take place on Thursday, with members widely expected to select current First vice President Miguel Diaz-Canel, a gray-haired 57-year-old who has climbed the party ranks and has been Raul Castro’s right-hand man since 2013. “There will be a sense of renewal, and there will be a sense of continuity,” said Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez. The outgoing president will remain at the head of the Communist Party until its next congress in 2021 -- when he turns 90 -- time enough to ensure a controlled transition and to watch over his protege when, inevitably, old-guard communists challenge his reforms. Cuban political scientist Esteban Morales said the two would likely work in tandem, with Castro continuing to act as the ideologi- concentrates on the “very complex government. The heir to the Castros will be faced with modernizing the economy at a time when Cuba’s key regional ally venezuela, its source of cheap oil, is stumbling through an acute economic crisis, and amid a resurgence of the US embargo under President Donald Trump. On the island, the transition is fueling moderate debate between fervent Castro-ites and their critics, who expect few changes after the election, in which they have no direct participation. Cubans last month elected a new national assembly, whose 605 members are tasked with voting in the new president. “They are changing the government, but it’s still the same kind, by the Castros. Even if it’s another man, it’s always going to be a Castro government,” said ariel Ortiz, an unemployed 24-year-old in Havana. Retiree Raul Garcia, 79, said: “They say that Raul is leaving the presidency, and that another, younger, man will come. That’s logical. But Raul is not leaving, Raul will always be with us, like Fidel.” as if to underscore a sense of continuity, the authorities are not planning a special ceremony for the assembly vote. and foreign journalists, anxious for an early look at the new president, have not been invited. “We will continue... the path of the revolution. The triumphant march of the revolution will continue,” said Diaz-Canel after voting in last month’s assembly elections. However, despite striving for a low-key transition, there’s no getting away from the fact that this represents a monumental change in Cuba. most six decades that the Cuban president will not be named Castro, will not be part of the “historic” generation of 1959, will not wear a military uniform and will not be the head of the Communist Party. If elected, Diaz-Canel is expected to be able to make up for his lack of revolutionary pedigree with Cuban opposition leader Manuel Cuesta Morua gestures as he speaks, during an interview with AFP in Havana, on March 14, 2018. Cuba is preparing for the end of an era next week when Raul Castro steps down as president, ending his family's six-decade grip on power, and paving the way for a younger leader. Photo: nampa/aFP the support of Castro watching benevolently from his perch atop the all-powerful Communist Party. The level of responsibility given to the old guard in the new government will be closely watched as a measure of how quickly change can be wrought by Diaz-Canel. He will be expected to build on the reforms introduced by Castro in recent years, particularly those giving greater latitude to the island’s tourism industry and small business sector. The date of the historic vote is heavy with symbolism. It falls on the 57th anniversary of the Bay of Pigs invasion, when the CIa tried to overthrow Castro in 1961, an episode Havana has long proclaimed as american Latin america. - Nampa/AFP 6000 Japanese cops hunt for fugitive thief Invitation for Bids (IFB) TOkyO a Japanese minister apologised Tuesday over the escape of a open prison more than a week ago, as the number of police hunting him passed 6,000 are now engaged in a fruitless manhunt for 27-year-old Tatsuma Hirao, who was serving time for multiple thefts, accord- The case is making headline news in Japan with Tv channels picking over the manhunt in minute detail. Hirao gave guards the slip on april 8, vanishing from the facility, an “open institution” where inmates can walk around freely. Police have detected the fugi- thefts have been reported since his escape but he remains on the lam. The stolen items include socks, a mobile phone, a wallet, a pair of sandals and a car key, whose owner found a polite note -- apparently from the fugitive -- saying: “I’m borrowing your car but I’ll never damage it.” The country’s justice minister felt the need to apologise ing the criminal, saying: “I heard the incident has caused anxiety among local residents, especially since there are many elderly people living alone... I feel truly sorry.” The minister, yoko kawaka- had been assigned around the clock to protect schools on Mukaishima island in southwestern Japan, where the fugitive is believed to be hiding. Slowing the search is the fact that there are about 1,000 vacant houses on the island, but police need permission from owners each time they search inside, according to the Mainichi Shimbun. The hilly landscape also the convict from a helicopter, the paper said. The island is about 22 square kilometers in area with a population of around 22,000. “Terror and anxiety on a peaceful island,” headlined Fuji Tv, presenting a panel discussion about the case. a total of 21 inmates have escaped since the opening of the prison in 1961. Japan enjoys one of the lowest crime rates in the developed world but has a relatively high re-offending rate. - Nampa/AFP Republic of Namibia PROVISION FOR SECURITY AND CASH IN TRANSIT SERVICES NCS/ONB/OTC – 01/2018 1. Bids are invited through Open National Bidding (ONB) procedures for the provision of Security Services and the invitation is open to all Namibian bidders. 2. Interested eligible bidders may obtain further information from Okahao Town Council, Mr. Efraim T. Shikesho , firstname.lastname@example.org and inspect the Bidding Documents at the address given below Okahao Town Council, Erf 895 King Jafet Munkundi Street, Okahao from 08H00 – 17H00. details are provided in the Bidding Documents. bidders on the submission of a written application to the address below and upon payment of a non- refundable fee of N$ 1 000.00. The method of payment will be Bidders who wish to receive their bid document with Nampost courier shall incur additional cost of N$ 100.00. Munkundi on or before 11H00, 18 May 2018. Electronic bidding will not be permitted. Late bids shall be rejected. Bids shall be opened in the presence of the Declaration. Council, , King Jafet Munkundi Street, Okahao. No emailed bids will be accepted.