Views
3 months ago

New Era Newspaper Wednesday August 9, 2017

  • Text
  • Namibia
  • August
  • Windhoek
  • Learners
  • Namibian
  • Ministry
  • Region
  • Disabilities
  • Bitcoin
  • Procurement

4 NEWS

4 NEWS Wednesday, August 9 2017 | NEW ERA Man awaits fate over friend’s murder Maria Amakali Windhoek A 21-year-old man, accused of fatally stabbing his friend, will be sentenced in September after the court found him guilty of the crime. Windhoek resident Bonya Mutumburua stabbed to death his longtime friend Joseph Nashitope four years ago. Katutura magistrate Elina Nandago last month found Mutumburua guilty of murder. Mutumburua was to be sentenced this week but it did not happen following the prosecutor Menencia Hinda’s revelation that the pre-sentencing report was not yet available. The prosecution managed to convince the court that Mutumburua on October 5, 2013, after an argument, intentionally stabbed his friend to death, although at the time he was a teenager. State witnesses who took the stand during the two-year trial testified that Mutumburua and the deceased were involved in a fight on the day that Nashitope died. Although the fight was stopped, Mutumburua saw it necessary to get a panga from his home, which he later replaced with a knife, to fatally stab his friend. Witnesses indicated the victim saw Mutumburua with a knife and he attempted to flee but Mutumburua caught up with him. Mutumburua stabbed his friend on the right side of his chest before he fled the scene, leaving him bleeding severely. In his defence Mutumburua informed the court he acted in self-defence and did not kill his friend intentionally. He claimed he was initially attacked by the deceased and merely defended himself, and did not recall why the deceased had assaulted him. Mutumburua will remain detained at Wanaheda police station following magistrate Nandago postponing the matter to September 4 for the attainment of the pre-sentencing report. Newcastle disease outbreak in Omusati is fake news Nuusita Ashipala Ongwediva State veterinarian in Omusati Region Josephat Peter has dismissed reports of a second outbreak of Newcastle disease in the region. He said the symptoms being observed are in chickens affected by the previous outbreak whose immunity has been weakened and is being overpowered by the virus. Peter said chickens vaccinated while infected only have an immunity of about 10 months before showing signs again. Otamanzi and Oshikuku constituencies have reported through their councillors that chickens are dying of Newcastle diseaserelated symptoms since the beginning of this month. There are reports from 38 villages in Otamanzi and 25 in Oshikuku of chickens dying in bigger numbers this time than during the same period last year. “Chickens were vaccinated around the same time last year – it could be that those chickens’ immunity has dropped because they were already sick when they were vaccinated and not because there is a new outbreak,” said Peter. Peter said his office has not confirmed any new Newcastle disease report for at least the past four months, but advised against vaccinating already sick chickens. “Sick chickens should be put down and not be vaccinated,” said Peter. The veterinarian confirmed that cross-border chicken sales are still rife but said his office continues to monitor the situation and ensure that diseased chickens are put down. Just recently about 90 chickens from Angola were confiscated and discarded after a tip-off of sales at the Onimbu open market at Outapi. Meanwhile, Angolan business people at the Okatwitwi open market at Oshikango are smuggling in boxes of frozen chickens from Angola, which they sell at a relatively low price. New Era ran the story earlier this month that the chief veterinary officer in the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry in the directorate of veterinary services, Adrianatus Maseke, had warned that the illegal import of chickens puts the country at risk of Newcastle disease, which last year decimated many chickens. Oshikuku Constituency Councillor and Chairperson of the Omusati Regional Council, Modestus Amutse, confirmed he had received reports of the disease from Oshikuku and Otamanzi. Amutse said given the communities’ dependence on poultry for survival, the disaster risk management committee, which he chairs, had resolved to purchase Newcastle vaccines for all 12 constituencies in the region. “This could have a serious impact on the region’s economy, hence as council we want to prevent further spread of the disease and prevent chickens that are not affected from being affected,” said Amutse. Amutse said documentation work to purchase vaccines were almost finalised and if all went according to plan, distribution of the vaccine to the various constituencies would kick off on Wednesday already. Otamanzi Constituency Councillor John Iyambo said the rate at which the chickens are dying is quite worrisome because individuals have been losing a lot of chickens since the start of August. “At one house we visited the owner had lost 23 chickens in two days, so one can see how serious this is,” said Iyambo. Around the same time last year in August, the northern communal areas experienced a Newcastle disease outbreak that killed over 4,000 chickens. The outbreak affected Omusati, Ohangwena, Oshana and Oshikoto regions. Majority of disabled kids never attended ECD Albertina Nakale Windhoek The majority of people living with disabilities continue to face stigma in Namibia, as evident from a whopping 87 percent of children with disabilities, between the ages of 0 - 4 years, having never attended early childhood development (ECD) programmes. Statistics show at national level more persons with disabilities aged 5 years and above had left school (49,991), followed by those who never attended school (27,070) and the lowest number being those who attended preprimary (877). These statistics were revealed by Education, Arts and Culture Minister Katrina Hanse-Himarwa last Friday during her address on the state of the education sector in Namibia. These statistics come at a time when the National Federation of People with Disabilities in Namibia (NFPDN) has called on the Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture to investigate why the majority of learners living with disabilities, especially the hearing-impaired, fail to pass formal education and proceed to university. NFPDN chairperson Daniel Trum last week called on the Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture to probe the status quo of hearing-impaired learners who failed to pass Grade 10 and proceed to Grade 12. “Deaf learners are not able to pass Grade 10 and 12 to access tertiary education. I don’t think there is anyone of them who passed Grade 10 and proceeded to Grade 12 to date. If they are a lot, maybe only about five learners,” Trum noted. Further, statistics show about 21,000 children in Namibia between the age of 6 and 19 years have a disability, representing 3.3 percent of the population in that age group. Most persons with disabilities are in the age group 10-24 years. The proportion of persons with disabilities aged 5 years and above that never attended school was higher in rural areas (82.1 percent) than in urban areas (17.9 percent). To address the needs of children with disabilities in Namibia, the Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture with the support of UNICEF conducted a rapid analysis aimed at documenting the implementation of inclusive education in Namibia. The main purpose of this analysis was to identify the needs and barriers that may hinder the full participation of children with disabilities and children with special education needs. The minister said some of the major challenges identified include the existence of high levels of stigma and discrimination against children with disabilities. She said disability is viewed as a curse and children with disabilities are still hidden from society in most cases. Other challenges include lack of disability, knowledge and practical skills amongst teachers, school principals and hostel staff to teach children with disabilities in inclusive settings, resulting in feelings of frustration, stress, being overwhelmed, wanting to give up, and of being unsupported. Others are lack of disabilityfriendly infrastructure in and around schools, classrooms and in hostels and lack of supporting technology. Corporal punishment and bullying of children with disabilities, and a lack of knowledge and awareness relating to differing disabilities, especially those relating to invisible disabilities such as learning and psychosocial disabilities, have also been identified. In an attempt to respond to the issues raised, she said the ministry would develop strategies to address the lack of capacity amongst teachers, school principals and educators. “Through the integrated school health programme the ministry will also partner with the Ministry of Health and Social Services to address the early identification, assessment and interventions of disabilities amongst children and learners,” she noted. Other measures she mentioned include advocacy interventions – therefore the ministry calls on parents and community members to support interventions to explain disability. The minister called upon the media fraternity to support advocating the rights of children with disabilities to quality education, healthcare and social services, and to sensitive communities about the dangers of stigma and discrimination towards learners with disabilities and other special educational needs. Five in court for impersonating police REHOBOTH Five men appeared in the Rehoboth Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday on charges of impersonating a police officer, theft, forgery and uttering, and fraud. They are former police officer Stephanus Kabono, 28, Nepando Willem, 39, police officer Josef Ndauta, 25, Erick Willibard Noariseb, 39, Nuuyoma Asino, 35, and 44-year-old Sedney Seibeb. Magistrate Desire Kamboua refused them bail and they thus remain in custody at the Rehoboth police holding cells. It is alleged that they on Friday used a fake search warrant to raid the Rehoboth home of Edward Wambo, who is the Rehoboth Urban East Constituency councillor and Hardap Region chairperson. The search warrant has a date stamp of the Katutura Police Station with case number CR/08/201. During their arrest, a fake case docket dated August 4 was also found with charges of money laundering and documents containing tender transactions and dealings. The accused did not plead and indicated that they will apply for legal aid. The matter was postponed to August 14 for them to apply for legal aid. Mateus Leonard represented the State. – Nampa

Wednesday, August 9 2017 | NEW ERA NEWS 5 Suiderlig School kitchen up in flames Matheus Hamutenya Keetmanshoop Suiderlig High School’s kitchen burned down last Thursday, forcing the school to urgently make other arrangements to feed the 200 hostel learners. The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchenware, mainly to the steam pot, the electrical stove, main frying pan and other cooking utensils. Although the cause of the fire has not yet been established by police investigators, New Era is reliably informed hostel staff on duty might have left the steam pot on, which may have caused the fire. Chief matron of the Keetmanshoop-based school Carolina Engelbrecht said she received a phone call at about 02h30 on Thursday to alert her that the kitchen was on fire. She said she asked her subordinates if they had switched off all appliances after finishing dinner preparations and they all swore they had put everything off before leaving, but she said it seems this was not the case, as the police investigators realised the water that is usually left in the steam pot had evaporated, leading them to suspect the pot was not switched off, thus causing the fire. “There was no water in the steam pot; that is what the investigators questioned and we suspect this is what might have started the fire,” she said. Engelbrecht said although the kitchen was in ashes and unusable, the hostel learners did not go hungry as other arrangements were made to ensure they had breakfast. She gave assurances that the learners will receive their daily meals. Some learners New Era spoke to were, however, concerned about the situation, saying they received their lunch very late - about 15h00, while they are supposed to have lunch at 13h00. The learners said the food received was not enough compared to the cooked meals they usually get and said it was not enough to sate their hunger. “We have two slices of bread and a Russian [sausage]. What will that do? And we were supposed to eat at one [o’clock], but look at the time now, it is two hours after lunch,” said one of the learners. School principal Deon Williams confirmed the fire incident, saying Photo: Matheus Hamutenya Burned-out… The remains of the kitchen at Suiderlig High School after a fire gutted the place last week. there was substantial damage caused to the kitchen. He said it was too early to elaborate on the damage and what it might cost. He also confirmed there are already contractors on site to see if the kitchen can be renovated as soon as possible for learners to get back to their normal setting. Omuthiya resorts to food-for-work Obrein Simasiku Omuthiya With the prevailing economic climate some councillors through regional offices have decided to use the foodfor-work initiative as a possible solution. In Oshikoto Region some councillors have been giving food to community members to continue to implement projects in their areas, such as the digging of water pipelines and the clearing of roads. Councillor of Oniipa Jerry Gwena said such initiatives have made it possible for most of his people to have access to potable tap water. He said the initiative was taken when there were limited funds, hence it was a mitigation factor. “The water pipeline from Oniimbwale-Oshilulu- Onawe has been completed, as well as the pipeline connecting Ondungilo-Ohainete is done and [we’re] only waiting for the directorate of rural and water supply to open the tap. So far N,000 has been used in this regard,” said Gwena, adding that he was working around the clock to bring services to the people. Gwena further stated that Oikango village is one of the areas that still suffers from the water shortage crisis. He gave assurances that he would work with the councillor of Onayeena Constituency. “The problem is only money, but human resources we do have. We will continue trying our best and we shall deal with these social issues in the end. In fact, I am not sleeping as a leader and I will remain vigilant to see and hear the problems affecting the people in my area,” Gwena said. Apart for progress made in the provision of water, the food-for-work initiative led to the construction of a gravel road between Onandjokwe and Oshigambot to Oneputa Combined School, which was previously inaccessible due to the rough terrain. In other developmental projects, he said a network telecommunications tower will be erected at Oshitutuma, a central point with the aim of covering the whole constituency with network connection. In addition, Gwena, said areas such as Ombomboli, Pukurukeni, Onanyati and Onakamwandi Okalombo will be electrified, a project that is envisaged to be completed by next year. Obrein Simasiku Omuthiya A recently established youth movement of Omuthiya Youth Parliament (OYP) is in the process of hosting an expo end of this month in an effort to promote the town and enhance business opportunities among the youth. The expo will be held for three days and will begin on August 31 at Omuthiya Town Park, where 50 exhibitors are expected to partake. It will also feature various activities, such as soccer, netball, boxing, a beauty pageant, local performances and five- WINDHOEK A 32-year-old teacher of the Hiaukambe Combined School at Omuhama village in the Omusati Region has appeared in the Opuwo Magistrate’s Court to answer charges on the rape of a learner. In addition, Paul Armstrong is facing charges of kidnapping and assault by threat. He this week appeared Risto Pac-Man Ashikoto Omuthiya youth to host expo and 10-kilometre marathon races. According to the recreational and entertainment secretary, Risto Pac-Man Ashikoto, their aim is to accord the youth and local entrepreneurs an opportunity to showcase their talents, business ventures and to create a knowledgesharing environment. “Since we are still an upcoming organisation, which advocates for the youth and the wellbeing of our town, we would like to urge all the local people to come on board and support this initiative. We’re doing it for our town, so let’s join hands,” Ashikoto said. In addition, he wished to remind before Magistrate Leena Iyambo, who postponed the case to October 18 for further investigation and for the accused to obtain a lawyer. State Prosecutor Aubrey Ndlovu told Nampa on Monday that Armstrong was denied bail. Crime investigation coordinator of the Namibian police in Kunene Deputy Commissioner Rudolf Kanyetu said it people that their support in this regard is of outmost importance as the event is without a sponsor, hence their involvement is highly needed. In the same vein Ashikoto appealed to the business community to assist them in whichever way possible. The youth parliament was established to equip the youth of Omuthiya with appropriate skills to be able to facilitate clear debates and presentations on issues affecting them. It also serves as a movement with the mandate to nurture and develop young people to freely and confidently express their views on any number of issues. Opuwo teacher accused of raping student denied bail is alleged the suspect took the learner from the hostel to his room, where he threatened her with a knife and had sex with her against her will. The incident, according to Kanyetu, took place on Thursday between 23h00 and 01h00 and was reported at the Otjondeka Police Station the following afternoon. – Nampa

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana