6 NEWS Wednesday, January 31 2018 | NEW ERA NHE to provide mortgage for mass houses Nuusita Ashipala Ongwediva Shot in the arm... City of Windhoek mayor Muesee Kazapua Informal areas to get N million for sanitation Alvine Kapitako Windhoek The City of Windhoek has committed N million for sanitation in the informal settlements of which N million will be channelled to response towards the Hepatitis E outbreak that has affected hundreds. In addition, the Khomas Regional Council also committed N million to the Hepatitis E outbreak. The virus has affected the informal settlements of Havana, Goreangab, Hakahana, Greenwell Matongo, Ombili and the broader Katutura. Two people have died from the hepatitis E virus; both pregnant women, who succumbed to hepatitis E complications after giving birth. The Ministry of Health and Social Services said last week that 490 cases of hepatitis E have been reported. Out of this, 166 people tested positive. Another 308 epidemiological cases were reported in households where infected people lived. There are still 119 suspected cases with pending laboratory results. The City’s mayor, Muesee Kazapua yesterday said a large portion of the money would be used for the provision of additional toilets, repair and maintenance and for the provision of additional standpipes. “That’s a plan we have set for ourselves,” said Kazapua, adding that the funds are expected to be available He wants the private sector to join government in contributing to the development of the city. He further said the influx of people to Windhoek in search of greener pastures is a burden to the municipality. “It’s unfortunate because Windhoek is the capital city and living conditions,” stated the Mayor. Kazapua said the city’s priority plan is to formalise informal settlements. “We want to build houses for the people and to provide them with municipal services,” he said. Cabinet has directed the National Housing Enterprise (NHE) to provide mortgages for the unoccupied mass houses to ensure that all houses are occupied by the end of March. The Minister of Urban and Rural Development Minister, Sophia Shaningwa in an interview with New Era yesterday, said she made the submission to Cabinet in order to get rid of mass houses in towns where banks cannot extend their mortgages such as Khorixas, Karasburg and Outjo. “We want the houses to be mortgaged by NHE to people who can afford instead of getting a bond from the bank …. instead of keeping houses unoccupied,” said Shaningwa. N H E M a n a g e r f o r Corporate Communications and Marketing Eric Libongani said the housing enterprise has made great strides and will confidently deliver on Cabinet’s directive. Libongani said they started handing over houses already in December with close to 46 houses expected to be handed over soon in Bukalo. “The delays were with the bank, we are adamant and all unoccupied mass houses by March 31,” said Libongani. The Minister of Urban and Rural Development, Sophia Shaningwa The minister said the construction of houses valued at N0,000 is viable and results are evident with the construction of over 1,000 houses at Walvis Bay. The minister said over 300 houses at Walvis Bay are already occupied. She said the prices have been want to make up to 150 percent The minister stressed that the majority of the people in need of housing are in the low to ultra-low category, hence such people need someone to step in and assist. She thus called on local authorities to avail serviced land to private developers to ensure that those seeking houses procure affordable housing. She said the first mass housing was a learning curve and encouraged local authorities to know their customers and their income. In the same vein, the minister also encouraged the local authorities to create a master list in order to familiarise themselves with their customers. With the second roll out of houses, which already kicked off in Walvis Bay, houses will be constructed in accordance with what the customers can afford. “Otherwise if we do not know our customers, we will be building for ghosts,” said Shaningwa. Education should be synchronised: Kavekotora Death Announcement Contact: Gail Strauss 0812289668 WINDHOEK Namibia’s education system should be synchronised with key sectors of the economy, namely and tourism to curb high unemployment and poverty. This is according to Rally for Democracy and Progress Secretary-General Mike Kavekotora. In a recent interview, Kavekotora told Nampa challenges affecting the education and health sectors need to be addressed with urgency. “Our economy is dependent agriculture, tourism and mining - but the education system is not linked to that. Secondly, our graduates do not meet the job demand of our private sector; there is a mismatch between our education and the demands of the private sector,” he noted. The politician added that as a remedy to challenges facing the education system from Namibia’s key economic sectors, synchronising efforts and resources is an option Government should consider. He further aired discontent in the budget of N.97 billion allocated to the Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture Kavekotora said 85 percent of that money goes towards the remuneration of staff, while a paltry 15 percent is left to cater for the ministry’s operational costs. On the health front, he said the shortage of medical doctors, dilapidated health facilities and instances where medication runs out at State hospitals, are worrisome. In the wake of the Hepatitis E outbreak in Windhoek, the SG branded the state of Namibia’s health sector as “dilapidated”. Kavekotora said the outbreak can be attributed to ignorance, little regard for the lives of ordinary Namibians and lack of proactive planning from Government. “This [outbreak] could have been prevented if measures were put in place to provide clean water in these informal settlements. These are Namibians, regardless of their economic status,” Kavekotora said. Close to 500 cases of Hepatitis E have been recorded mid-December last year. This has been blamed on poor hygiene and sanitation. - Nampa Rally for Democracy and Progress SG, Mike Kavekotora
Wednesday, January 31 2018 | NEW ERA NEWS 7 assaults on murder suspects In the dock .The alleged hitmen with Dollam Dollam sitting second from left, David Kondjara, Abed Uazea and Donald Hindjou. Photo: Roland Routh Roland Routh Windhoek Windhoek-based lawyer Thomas Andimba hoek High before Acting Judge Johanna Salionga in the ongoing murder for hire trial about what he observed when he went to see Dollam Dollam Tjitjahuma, 27, accused 6 in the trial at the Wanaheda Police Station shortly after his arrest. According to Andimba, Tjitjahuma’s mother came to see to arrange bail for her son, but most of all to arrange for him to be seen by a doctor as he was in severe pain and could barely walk due to alleged beatings by the police. Andimba told the judge that he knew Tjitjahuma well enough and when he went to see him he could immediately see that something serious was wrong. He was obviously in a lot of pain, Andimba said. “I then asked him what was wrong and he told me that I must organise for him to see a doctor as he was in pain because of assaults by the police,” Andimba told Judge Salionga. He went on to say that at that stage David Kondjara, 32, also joined them and pleaded with him to help him (Kondjara) as he was also severely assaulted by the police. He however told Kondjara that he could not help him as he did not represent him, but only Tjitjahuma. He however promised to do something for Kondjara as he could see he was in dire straits, Andimba said. The lawyer further told the court that both Kondjara and Tjitjahuma lifted their T-shirts and he could observe bruises on their upper bodies. Tjitjahuma tried to report the assaults and open a case against the police who abused him, but the case was never lodged, New Era has learned. Tjitjahuma, Kondjara, David Matali, 45, Abuid Uazeua and Donald Hindjou were hired by accused 1, Annastancia Nalucha Lubinda, 34, to kill her husband Peter Riscoh Muleke, 36, the State is alleging. Lubinda, Kondjara and Hindjou all made admissions to the police and confessions to magistrates which they are now disputing. The all claim that they were assaulted and threatened by the police, especially investigat- Nuule, to make the confessions and were told what to say to the magistrates. They all claim to be have been traumatised by the continuous beatings and threats that they agreed to whatever Nuule wanted from them. Hindjou started with his testi- Woman in court for scalding son Aron Mushaukwa Katima Mulilo Twenty-nine-year-old Susan Swalelo from Kongola in the Zambezi Region appeared in the Katima Mulilo Magistrate’s Court on Monday after she allegedly scalded her seven-year-old son with boiling water apparently for being “a stubborn child”. The incident happened over a week ago, however it was only last Friday that a teacher at Kongola Combined School where the child is doing grade 1, learnt about the shocking incident. The teacher says he was informed by someone that the child was burned, and after checking him he discovered that he had terrible burn wounds on his back, and he immediately took the child to Kongola Police Station. Police investigations led to the arrest of Swalelo, and sources say she was unrepentant and she told the police at the time of her arrest that she did not regret scalding her son “because he is stubborn”. Swalelo who also has a two-month-old baby told the police that the child was refusing to bath that is why she poured boiling water on him causing serious injuries. She was denied bail, and the case was postponed to February 27 to allow room for further investigations. Nomsa Khumalo was the magistrate while Diana Khama appeared for the state. In pain… The seven-year-old boy showing wounds he suffered after his mother poured boiling water on his back apparently for refusing to take a bath. Photo: Contributed mony on Friday and continued in the same vein as Lubinda and Kondjara with claims that he was assaulted so severely that he did whatever Nuule wanted from him. He also claimed that after his confession, he tried to make a case of assault against Nuule, but it was refused. Lubinda alone is charged with murder read with the provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act while her co-accused are charged with murder. They also face a charge of robbery with aggravating circumstances for robbing the deceased of his cellphone and SIM card while hitting him with stones and other unknown objects. According to the summary of facts in the indictment, the accused conspired to kill Muleke. The lifeless body of Muleke was found near Penduka at the Goreangab Dam on March 30 last year. The State is represented by Advocate Marthino Olivier, Lubinda by Milton Engelbrecht, Matali by Trevor Brockerhoff, Kondjara by Tuna Nhinda, Mbanga Siyomunji acts for Uazeua, Meriam Kenaruzo for Hindjou and Bronell Uirab for Tjitjahuma all on instruction of Legal Aid; and the suspects remain in custody. The case continues today. NOTICE INVITATION FOR BIDDING NamPower hereby invites competent and registered Namibian companies to submit their bids for the following: SC/RP/NPWR-05/2018: Services of a Specialist in Archaeology to Conduct a Study on the Warmbad Substation and 33kV Transmission Line SC/RP/NPWR-10/2018: Consultation Services for the Annual Impairment Review of Assets of the Generation, Transmission and Distribution Assets at the End of the Current Financial Year, 30 June 2018 G/ONB/NP-10/2018: Design, Manufacture, Testing, Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning of 33/11kv 5MVA Dyn 11 Distribution Transformers Availability of Documents: Documents are available on the NamPower website (www.nampower.com.na). Enquiries pertaining to this invitation should be directed to: email@example.com or to Mr Johannes Shivute, Procurement Administrator, at Tel +264 61 205 2312/2396/2258. Closing Date: Three arrested for suspected drug dealing Eveline de Klerk Swakopmund The Namibian Police in the Erongo Region have continuously clamped down on illicit drug dealings, with the latest operation nabbing three suspects who were arrested over the weekend in Mondesa, Swakopmund. arrests, Deputy Commissioner Erastus cated illegal drugs worth at least N,000 on Friday. According to Iikuyu, they arrested an 18-year-old man on Friday with cannabis worth N0 at a house in Mandume Ndemufayo Street in Mondesa. He added they also arrested a 40-yearold man in the Saamstaan location with cannabis, suspected crack cocaine and mandrax tablets with a street value of N,920. A 50-year-old female suspect was also arrested during the operation, on the same evening. She was found in possession of cannabis and tablets with a street value of N,200. All suspects are expected to make their kopmund Magistrate’s Court on charges related to drug possession and dealing. Friday, 02 March 2018, at 11H00 (Namibian time) Please submit your proposal in a sealed envelope, clearly marked “APPROPRIATE BID OR PROPOSAL NUMBER,” addressed to the Secretary: NamPower Procurement Committee, to be deposited into the Bid Box located in the foyer at NamPower Centre, 15 Luther Street, Windhoek, Namibia. KINDLY NOTE: ALL INVITATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO THE PUBLIC PROCUREMENT ACT, REGULATIONS AND GUIDELINES.