Views
5 months ago

New Era Newspaper Wednesday July 5 2017

  • Text
  • Namibia
  • Windhoek
  • African
  • Namibian
  • Regional
  • Programme
  • Workers
  • Swartz
  • Nampa
  • Okahandja

16 AFRICA

16 AFRICA Wednesday, July 5 2017 | NEW ERA Kenyans flee homes for fear of new election bloodbath On edge… Kenya’s opposition party, National Super Alliance (NASA) presidential nominee Raila Odinga who is participating in Kenya’s presidential elections in August. NAIROBI Kenyan families are fleeing communities worst hit by deadly violence a decade ago in fear of a repeat of bloodshed during elections set for August. The trend has been noted in the central Nakuru county’s Naivasha area, the epicentre of the skirmishes ten years ago. This comes in the wake of threats and intimidation ahead of the polls. Naivasha was among the areas worst affected by the 2007-2008 post-election violence. The inter-ethnic rivalries over land and power, stoked by politicians, left more than 1,100 people dead. More than 650,000 people were displaced across the country. Some attacks and killings were never investigated or prosecuted. A recurrence is feared with many people in Naivasha describing threats and intimidation between c o m m u n i t y m e m b e r s . They claim police failed to investigate, prosecute culprits or protect residents. Human Rights Watch (HRW) said it documented at least six incidents of direct threats against opposition supporters. Supporters said a group of young men in Kinamba and Kihoto neighborhoods of Naivasha, believed to be behind some of the previous violence, had warned them to stay away from polling places if they did not intend to vote for President Uhuru Kenyatta’s Jubilee party. Otsieno Namwaya, Africa researcher at HRW, said authorities must urgently investigate allegations of threats and intimidation. “Kenyan authorities should do more to prevent a repeat of the 2007 bloodshed in Naivasha.” Maurice Muhatia, head of Nakuru’s Catholic Diocese, expressed alarm over the rate at which families were fleeing the county. Naivasha’s senior assistant commissioner Richard Aguoka said more security officers had been deployed and government had created peace committees to encourage coexistence. He denied people were fleeing. Some 19 million Kenyans are registered to vote. – Nampa/ANA CAREER OPPORTUNITY VACANCY Positions: Case Coordinator (Patterson C3) Hospital Case Management: Administrator (Patterson B4) The MVA Fund seeks qualified candidates to fill the above positions which exist on its organizational structure. For further information and submission, please visit our website at: http://www.mvafund.com.na Contact Person: Marlyn De Kock, Senior Human Resources Officer Tel: (061) 289 703 7 Closing date: Thursday, 06 July 2017 at 12h00. 3 X TEACHING VACANCY AT OSHIKUKU PRIVATE SCHOOL We are inviting three (3) suitable qualified, enthusiastic, dedicated and excellent teachers to apply for full time upper primary teaching posts subjects English, Oshindonga and Mathematics at Oshikuku Private School. Main Requirements: A recognized 3 – 4 years tertiary teaching qualification or equivalent with at least 5 years teaching experience at primary level. Very good passes in Mathematics and English are an added advantage. Remuneration scale: N$ 66 000.00 – N$ 72 000.00 per annual. Date of assumption January 2018. OSHIKUKU PRIVATE SCHOOL VACANCIES The following documents must accompany the application: F Application letter F Recent testimonial (s) F Copies of qualifications (certified by the police) F Curriculum vitae (CV) F Copy of identity (ID)/ passport document certified by the police Application should be hand delivered at the school or be posted to: Oshikuku Private School, P.O.Box 5381, Oshikuku Enquiries: Ms. Aina N V Shiimi @ +264-65-254505 / +264-81-4499174 Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview. Closing date: 20 July 2017 Overstaying his welcome… This file photo taken on July 1, 2015 shows Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza (centre) arriving in a car for celebrations of the country’s 53rd Independence anniversary at Prince Rwagasore Stadium in Bujumbura. Burundi’s ruling party is dragging the country ever closer to violent dictatorship, a coalition of human rights groups said in a report on July 4. The tiny central African state was plunged into a deep and sometimes violent political crisis in April 2015 when President Pierre Nkurunziza announced his intention to run for a controversial third term which he went on to win. Burundi becoming a ‘violent dictatorship’: report NAIROBI Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza and his ruling party have moved the country toward violent dictatorship, rights groups said Tuesday in a report that slams the international community for inaction. A “purge” of ethnic Tutsis from the army, a crackdown on opposition and media and a bid to change the constitution to allow unlimited presidential terms are signs of an “increasingly violent dictatorial regime”, it said. The tiny central African state was plunged into political crisis in April 2015 when Nkurunziza announced his intention to run for a third term which he went on to win. At least 500 people have been killed in ensuing violence, according to the UN - although rights groups put the figure at over 1,000 - and more than 400,000 have fled the country since the crisis began. In their report the International Federation for Human Rights (known by its French acronym, FIDH) and partner groups describe how the ruling party has tightened its stranglehold during a two-year conflict. It said the ruling CNDD-FDD has become the sole state party, with monuments glorifying it erected, party flags placed at entrances to public schools and violent propaganda broadcast urging Burundians to be ready to fight and eliminate opponents. “In a matter of two years, almost all the heads and activists of the political opposition have been silenced and hunted down by the Burundian authorities,” it said. The report details accounts of Tutsi soldiers who have disappeared, been arrested or brutally tortured or found dead. It warns that without international intervention Nkurunziza could succeed in reversing history and establishing a Hutu-controlled regime based on a mono-ethnical army under the control of the authorities. In Burundi, which has a long history of violence between Hutu and Tutsi communities, “this would represent a major risk for peace in the country, as in the region.” The report singles out the ruling party youth wing, the Imbonerakure, which it describes as a militia characterised by “ideological radicalisation” that has been recorded singing songs encouraging the rape of opposition women and is widely accused of human rights violations, including murder, rape and torture. The FIDH urges “the international community to recognise the gravity of the situation in Burundi” and for the International Criminal Court (ICC) to quickly open an investigation. It also says the African Union and UN should ensure political dialogue, impose an arms embargo and apply sanctions against Burundi officials. “The international community’s lack of determination and its incapacity to implement its own decisions “ allow Nkurunziza to shore up his position ahead of a possible attempt to change the constitution to allow him to run again in 2020. Burundi has repeatedly denied a campaign of repression and has harshly criticised UN warnings of a genocide risk. – Nampa/AFP

Wednesday, July 5 2017| NEW ERA WORLD 17 N.Korea fires ‘intercontinental ballistic missile SEOUL North Korea proclaimed Tuesday that it had successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile – a watershed moment in its push to develop a nuclear weapon capable of hitting the United States. US experts said the device could reach Alaska, and the launch, which came as the United States prepared to mark its Independence Day, triggered a Twitter outburst from US President Donald Trump who urged China to “end this nonsense once and for all”. The North has long sought to build a rocket capable of delivering an atomic warhead to the continental United States – something that Trump has vowed “won’t happen.” Its possession of a working ICBM will force a recalculation of the strategic threat it poses. The “landmark” test of a Hwasong-14 missile was overseen by leader Kim Jong-Un, an emotional female announcer said on state Korean Central Television. It reached an altitude of 2,802 kilometres and flew 933 kilometres, she added. The North was “a strong nuclear power state” and had “a very powerful ICBM that can strike any place in the world”, she said. There are still doubts whether the North can miniaturise a nuclear weapon sufficiently to fit it onto a missile nose cone, or whether it has mastered the technology needed for it to survive the difficult reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere. But the isolated, impoverished country has made great progress in its missile capabilities since the ascension to power of Kim, who has overseen three nuclear Nuclear jostle… A PAC-3 surface-to-air missile launch system is seen deployed at the defence ministry in Tokyo on July 4, 2017. North Korea launched a ballistic missile on July 4 as the United States prepared to celebrate its Fourth of July independence day, just days after Seoul’s new leader Moon Jae-In and US President Donald Trump focused on the threat from Pyongyang in their first summit. tests and multiple rocket launches. In response to the launch but before the announcement, Trump asked on Twitter: “Does this guy have anything better to do with his life?” The United Nations has imposed multiple sets of sanctions on Pyongyang over its weapons programmes, which retorts that it needs nuclear arms to defend itself against the threat of invasion. The “unidentified ballistic missile” was fired from a site in North Phyongan province, the South’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement, and came down in the East Sea, the Korean name for the Sea of Japan. US Pacific Command confirmed the test and said it was a land-based, intermediate range missile that flew for 37 minutes, adding the launch did not pose a threat to North America. It was estimated to have reached an altitude that “greatly exceeded” 2,500 kilometres, Japan said, prompting arms control specialist Jeffrey Lewis to respond on Twitter: “That’s it. It’s an ICBM. An ICBM that can hit Anchorage not San Francisco, but still.” David Wright, of the Union of Concerned Scientists, wrote on the organisation’s allthingsnuclear blog that the available figures implied the missile “could reach a maximum range of roughly 6,700 km on a standard trajectory”. “That range would not be enough to reach the lower 48 states or the large islands of Hawaii, but would allow it to reach all of Alaska.” The device came down in the Sea of Japan within the country’s exclusive economic zone, Tokyo’s defence ministry said in a statement, waters extending 200 nautical miles from its coast. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters: “This launch clearly shows that the threat has grown.” The US, Japan and South Korea will hold a summit on the sidelines of this week’s G20 meeting on the issue, he added. “Also I will encourage President Xi Jinping and President Putin to take more constructive measures.” South Korea’s President Moon Jae-In, who backs both engagement with the North to bring it to the negotiating table and sanctions, and met Trump for a summit in Washington at the weekend, strongly condemned what he called an “irresponsible provocation”. Washington, South Korea’s security guarantor, has more than 28,000 troops in the country to defend it from its communist neighbour, and fears of conflict reached a peak earlier this year as the Trump administration suggested military action was an option under consideration. There has also been anger in the United States over the death of Otto Warmbier, an American student detained in North Korea for around 18 months before he was returned home in a coma in June. Trump has been pinning his hopes on China – North Korea’s main diplomatic ally – to bring pressure to bear on Pyongyang. Last week he declared that Beijing’s efforts had failed, but returned to the idea on Twitter following the launch: “Perhaps China will put a heavy move on North Korea and end this nonsense once and for all!” But a former foreign policy adviser to Hillary Clinton warned that his comments risked undermining the credibility of both the US deterrent, and its assurances to its allies in Seoul and Tokyo. She added: “Picking a twitter fight with a nuclear-armed dictator is not wise - this is not reality TV anymore.” - Nampa/AFP US-backed forces breach wall in Syria IS stronghold Raqa WASHINGTON US-backed forces in Syria have entered the most heavily fortified area of Raqa, the de facto capital of the Islamic State group, in what a US official says is a “key milestone” in the war against the jihadist force. Success in Raqa and major advances by US-backed forces in Mosul, a second IS stronghold in Iraq, represent a powerful double blow to the violent extremist group. The US Central Command said in a statement dated Tuesday that coalition forces supported an advance by Syrian Democratic Forces fighters “into the most heavily fortified portion of Raqa by opening two small gaps in the Rafiqah Wall that surrounds the Old City.” The SDF faced heavy resistance, as the IS fighters used the wall as a combat position and planted mines and improvised explosive devices against advancing fighters. “Conducting targeted strikes on two small portions of the wall allowed coalition and partner forces to breach the Old City at a locations of their choosing,” the statement read. This prevented IS from using “pre-positioned mines, IED and VBIEDs, protected SDF and civilian lives, and preserved the integrity of the greatest portion of the wall.” A 25-meter (80-foot) section of the wall was targeted, which “will help preserve the remainder of the overall 2,500-meter wall,” it added. Brett McGurk, the US special presidential envoy for the coalition to defeat IS, said on Twitter that breaching the wall in Raqa was a “key milestone in campaign to liberate the city.” The US-backed fighters entered Raqa from the south for the first time on Sunday, crossing the Euphrates River to enter a new part of the Syrian city, a monitor said. The SDF have spent months closing in on the IS bastion and entered the city’s east and west for the first time last month. According to the coalition, some 2,500 IS jihadists are defending the city. IS overran Raqa in 2014, turning it into the de facto capital of its self-declared “caliphate.” The city was the scene of some of the group’s worst atrocities, including public beheadings. The United Nations warn that up to 100,000 civilians are still trapped in the city. McGurk earlier tweeted: “#ISIS terrorists down to less than one square kilometer in #Mosul and totally surrounded in #Raqqa, #SDF advancing from four directions.” In Mosul, Iraqi forces face stiff fighting and a rising number of suicide attacks, including some by female bombers, as they enter the final stages of the battle. More than eight months since the start of the operation to retake Mosul, IS fighters have gone from fully controlling the northern Iraqi city to holding a limited area on its western side. Iraqi forces have been closing in on the Old City in west Mosul for months, but the terrain combined with a large civilian population has made for an extremely difficult fight. IS overran large areas in Iraq north and west of Baghdad in 2014, but Iraqi forces backed by US-led coalition air strikes have since regained much of the territory they lost. The Iraqi military believes there are just a few hundred jihadists left in Mosul. – Nampa/AFP North Korea crisis could ‘get out of control’: China’s UN envoy UNITED NATIONS China’s UN ambassador on Monday warned of “disastrous” consequences if world powers fail to find a way to ease tensions with North Korea which he said could “get out of control”. Ambassador Liu Jieyi made the remarks a day after US President Donald Trump spoke by phone with Chinese leader Xi Jinping on the threat posed by North Korea’s missile and nuclear tests. “Currently tensions are high and we certainly would like to see a de-escalation,” Liu told a news conference at UN headquarters as China takes over the Security Council presidency in July. “If tension only goes up... then sooner or later it will get out of control and the consequences would be disastrous,” he said. China is pushing for talks on dismantling North Korea’s nuclear program after its ally carried out two nuclear tests last year and a series of ballistic missile tests. A proposal from Beijing for a freeze of Pyongyang’s military programs in exchange for a suspension of US-South Korea military exercises has however failed to gain traction. The United States maintains that it will open up talks with North Korea if it first halts its nuclear and missile tests. Describing the crisis with North Korea as “very, very serious”, Liu said “other parties” should be “more forthcoming in accepting and supporting these proposals.” “We cannot afford to wait for too long without dialogue taking place,” he added. The Trump administration has for months urged China to rein in Pyongyang but recently the US president declared that Beijing efforts had failed. During a phone call on Sunday, Trump “raised the growing threat posed by North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs”, the White House said, without providing details. In a sign of a possible rift with China over North Korea, the US Treasury Department last week slapped sanctions on China’s Bank of Dandong over its dealings with North Korea. Washington also put two Chinese nationals who established front companies to facilitate transactions with North Korea and one Chinese company, Dalian Global Unity Shipping, which helped smuggle banned luxury goods, on its sanctions blacklist. – Nampa/AFP

New Era

New Era Newspaper Vol 22 No 167

Kundana

Kundana