8 NEWS Wednesday, July 5 2017 | NEW ERA Nkurenkuru hosts citizencentred APSD John Muyamba Nkurenkuru Kavango West Governor Sirkka Ausiku has informed New Era that her region is happy to host the two-day Africa Public Service Day event (APSD) starting today until Thursday. Ausiku said being a region that is extremely rural she hopes permanent secretaries will attend, so that they can better comprehend and appreciate the development stage of Nkurenkuru. “We are ready to host, just bring your tents and camp, our business community is ready to serve you,” said an upbeat Ausiku. The APSD is celebrated annually as a strategic event on the African Union (AU) calendar, following the declaration of the first Pan-African Conference of Ministers of Public/Civil Service held in Tangier, Morocco in 1994, where ministers agreed the 23rd of June every year should be celebrated as Africa Public Service Day (APSD). This year, the APSD event is being celebrated under the theme ‘Entrenching a Citizen-Centred Service Delivery Culture: Partnering with the Youth for Africa’s Transformation’. “The theme is befitting as the unemployment rate in our region is 52.6 percent,” Ausiku added. The event is being held for public servants to reflect on the functions of the public service, its mission, objectives, programmes and projects, challenges and successes. It will also focus on the importance of the civil service, its positive contribution and benefits to public servants, the wider population, civil society Kavango West Governor Sirkka Ausiku and the private sector, as well as the government. This event is also meant to motivate and encourage public servants to continue the good work done and to come up with new initiatives and innovations and thus prepare the public service and administration for a better future by proposing changes in the interests of the social wellbeing of the population. The Office of the Prime Minister is coordinating the APSD celebration. All government offices, agencies, ministries, regional councils, local authorities, public enterprises and members of the public at large are invited to join. Omuthiya residents unhappy over plots Obrein Simasiku Omuthiya Omuthiya Town Council has refuted claims it is dragging its feet to compensate residents with plots after they were relocated to make way for the development of the town following its proclamation in 2008. Omuthiya Town Council has instead advised all qualifying residents expecting to be given land to come forward and fill out council forms with their details in order for them to be allocated plots. This is to enable the town council to transfer the plots in the names of the recipients. One distressed resident, 77-yearold Amagola Salomo, who is on the verge of being on the street because the plot he previously occupied was sold to an investor, who has now begun developing it. Salomo was concerned he could end up homeless, as he has not been allocated a plot since 2011 and thus cannot build a house. Salomo was given compensation of N4,287 and qualifies to be allocated two plots in line with the compensation policy. The policy states that residential erven measuring at least 500m² in size would be transferred to the occupant’s name free of charge, of which one of the erven should be where the present homestead is located. Alternatively, if the area where one or both of the erven is located, is not zoned for residential use, the affected occupants shall be given optional residential land. Chief executive officer Samuel Mbango said though that Salomo had been informed on several occasions by council of the procedures to come forward and complete the required form. “We even sent letters and forms to him, but he never came back to us. Most of those that have returned the forms have already been allocated with plots. He should just fill in the form we issued to him or to come to our offices and we will assist him,” Mbango explained. On July 7, 2015 Salomo was issued with a notice to vacate the land within a month, a directive which he ignored. Instead, he asked council to show him where his promised plot is. Salomo was adamant he was not refusing to vacate the area, but had no place to go. Mbango cautioned residents to stop listening to stories in the streets, because that seems to confuse them and suggested they should rather seek clarity from council officials. The investors have already brought building materials onto the site and will soon start erecting the fence, a situation which Salomo says will restrict his movement, as his homestead is in the centre. Teacher David Uusiku N.6 million needed for school hall Obrein Simasiku Omuthiya Omuthiya Iipundi Senior Secondary School is in dire need of funds to construct a school hall at Omuthiya, which would cost an estimated N.6 million. Over the years, the school has initiated several fundraising events to secure the needed funds, but this has been a challenge because not enough funds were generated. Recently the school hosted a bazaar to solicit funds, and has raised about N6,968 in total. One of the organisers, David Uusiku a teacher at the school, said the little they generated would used for laying the foundation and erecting the pillars of the mooted hall. “We have decided to start slowly while we are still trying to source funds. It is better to start somewhere than to remain idle. Once that first phase is done we will consider fitting the roof with zinc, although this will depend on how much we have,” Uusiku said. He appealed to the local business community to come on board and assist in whatever way they can, whether cash or in kind. “We will hold another bazaar again somewhere towards the end of the year. We want to try our level best to see the successful completion of the hall,” he added.
10 Inside Business: ICT & GADGETS Wednesday, July 5 2017 | NEW ERA Samsung to invest US billion in memory chip business SEOUL Samsung Electronics will invest nearly US billion in its chip business, the South Korean firm said Tuesday, as it seeks to expand its lead in the global memory chip and smartphone markets. The world’s top maker of smartphones and memory chips will invest 20.4 trillion won (US.7 billion) by 2021 to expand and upgrade its chip plants in the South Korean cities of Pyeongtaek and Hwaseong, it said in a statement. The factory in Pyeongtaek, 70 kilometres (44 miles) south of Seoul, is the world’s biggest and has recently started production after Samsung Electronics spent 15.6 trillion won over the past two years to build it. The company also plans to expand its NAND chip plant in the Chinese city of Xian to meet booming demand for the chips used in high-end storage products, it said. It did not elaborate on when and how much money it plans to invest there. In smartphones, Samsung has been increasingly sandwiched by smaller Chinese rivals in the low and mid-end markets, and by Apple’s iPhone in the high-end segment. It also suffered a blow to its reputation after a humiliating mass recall last year of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone over faulty, exploding batteries. But the firm managed to post stellar profits partly thanks to the robust chip business, which supplies not only to its own handset unit but also other electronics giants including Apple. Samsung - which accounted for more than 40 percent of global memory chip sales in the first quarter of this year - posted in April its biggest quarterly net profit in more than three years. “Our clients are having difficulty securing enough semiconductor chips due to growing global demand for hightech gadgets,” it said. “We plan to actively respond to those demands by making aggressive investments on our production lines at home and abroad,” it said. Analysts say a global shortage of chips may persist throughout 2017, driving prices higher and benefiting major suppliers such as Samsung and another South Korean chipmaker, SK Hynix. Average prices for DRAM chips used in PCs and servers, and NAND flash chips used in handsets are expected to jump 53 percent and 28 percent respectively this year, according to market researcher IC Insights. The announcement also came after newly elected South Korean President Moon Jae-In set tackling rising unemployment as his top priority. Samsung said its investment would eventually help create as many as 440,000 jobs through 2021, including indirectly, and help bolster Asia’s fourthlargest economy. – Nampa/AFP 17 Years of Successful Regulation Photo: Nampa/AFP Engineer Roland Reynaud (left) reacts aboard the self-energy producing multihull ‘Energy Observer’ on July 4 following its arrival in Paris. The Energy Observer, an autonomous boat powered by hydrogen and renewable energy, is in now preparation for a world tour. MTN goes global to appoint procurement and supply chain head JOHANNESBURG MTN Group on Tuesday appointed international executive Dirk Karl to head up group procurement and supply chain management, effective no later than 1 November. Karl joins MTN from Buyln, the procurement joint venture between Deutsche Telekom and Orange, where he was senior vice president for network technology. Prior to joining Buyln in 2011, Karl was senior vice president and global head of strategic sourcing for Deutsche Telekom. He has also held a number of senior management roles in various global corporates, including General Motors, ING Group and T Systems, in a career spanning more than two decades. At MTN, Karl will be responsible for developing and executing global procurement and sourcing strategies, as well as leveraging MTN’s scale to identify opportunities to drive greater commercial success across the footprint. The appointment comes as the organisation continues to focus on delivering earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) growth in its key markets of Nigeria and South Africa, through the Project IGNITE initiative, communicated to the market earlier in the year. MTN group chief financial officer, Ralph Mupita, said they undertook a global search to identify the best candidate for the position. “Sourcing skills and strategies are critical to delivering secondto-none networks for our customers, whilst supporting EBITDA margin evolution and cash generation for the business,” Mupita said. “With Karl’s wealth of experience, industry knowledge and skills, particularly in the area of network sourcing in emerging markets, I am confident that we are well placed to deliver on procurement and supply chain ambitions.” Karl said: “I am excited to join a company of MTN’s scale and stature, and more so, to be given the opportunity to be part of the team that will contribute to the organisation’s future success.” – Nampa/ANA Tencent’s plans to list its answer to Kindle Store in Hong Kong HONG KONG Chinese internet giant Tencent is to list China Literature, the country’s biggest online publishing business, in Hong Kong with a report saying it could raise as much as half-abillion dollars. In documents filed in the financial hub on Tuesday, Tencent will hold at least 50 percent of the firm - similar to Amazon’s Kindle Store - and remain its parent after the spin-off. It currently holds a 62 percent stake. Bloomberg News said the firm plans to list this year and cited unnamed people close to the deal as saying it could raise US0 million. The move will come as a boost to the city’s technology sector, which has struggled to attract new listings and start-ups, despite being the world’s top initial public offering market last year. The company has hired Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch and Credit Suisse as joint sponsors of the IPO. The deal comes after the mainland’s popular selfie app developer Meitu’s 9 million IPO in December – the biggest IPO by a technology company in Hong Kong for almost a decade. China Literature sells e-books and operates a publishing platform in the world’s biggest internet market with more than five million writers and almost 10 million works, according to its website. Formerly known as China Reading, the Shanghai-based company was created through a merger between Tencent’s online literature arm and Shanda Cloudary. – Nampa/AFP